CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon AV45 and AV46 tires

RodeRash

Just got off the phone with John. Had a very nice conversation, but he told me that 4,000-6,000 miles is normal for this tire on a 'big bike' like the 1100XX. I indicated that I expected longer mileage out of a sport touring tire for a rider of my weight, but he said they obviously can't guarantee any mileage and it varies massively.

Thanks for the help, anyway guys. The more I think about it, the more I think this is extremely high wear. Considering most of the miles on the tire have been at 6,000ft+ where the bike lays down about 20HP less than most of yours, and that I weigh 160lbs with my all my gear..

So do I try another one to get the remaining life out of the front, or pull the front off and go with another brand. The testimonials on the Pilot Sport seem pretty good, and I can't imagine it would hold up any worse than this!

-Pace

You'd be interested in the Pilot Road, not the Pilot Sport if your looking for mileage. I'm replacing my Pilot Roads real soon. I will have 7000 miles (odometer) on them. I'm 260# and at 4500 feet. I've got a set of Avons in the garage right now. I hope like hell they last longer than the Roads. If not I'm going back to the Roads.

Did you give him your dot# or did he even ask? Mayby they have ended the replacement policy. He told me 4k is not right. MMmmm

He didn't ask. My guess is he's replaced a few of these and now has realized that they tend to wear faster than a lot of people are expecting. I was extremely polite, but he was clearly reluctant to do anything. He basically said as much - "I can't help you". He did ask what type of riding I did (responded 'mostly canyon') and where I live.

Involute: I'm not really looking for a high mileage tire. However, this was sold as a 'sport touring' tire which I expect to last a bit more than 4,500 miles, given my riding habits. How long do the Pilot Sports usually last?

Anyways, I really appreciate you guys trying to help. If anyone has the address where you returned your AV46, I'd like to get it from you. I think I'm going to go ahead and return this with a cover letter, and hopefully they will see the abnormal wear and may respond more positively to concerns expressed by any other riders with the same problem. :)

-Pace

Now he's changing his story, that fuck told me i should get 8 - 10,000 miles out of the 45/46 combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He told me that their iron butt rider they sponsor gets around 10 - 12,000 miles out of them on his ST4.

It looks like many people are getting free tires from them and they don't want to give more out.

pace, my dealer sent it back for me, Avon wanted the whole tire back which is unusual. The normally just want the piece cut out of the sidewall.

They even paid for my tire to get changed!!!!!!

That's bullshit!!!! I would demand another tire!!!!!

blowjob from Elizabeth Hurley

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that fantasy.

That wear seems a little excessive. I ride 2 up quite a bit and got 7k out of my back tire, probably could have made a few more.

The front was lookin good but has gotten progressively more out of round. So it is being changed this week.....hope I get a round one.

It seems strange that some get great life out of these tires while others don't. I just don't know what else to try.

He told me that "if [you] were riding an SV650, you'd be able to expect 10,000 - 13,000 miles on this tire." :roll:

What do you guys pair up with the 020 rear?

Ahh.. the eternal quest for tire utopia.

-Pace

The alternate fantasy is the same dry lake bed at night with no moon. You'd be out-riding your headlight by easily three times anyway. Hit the starter switch to kill the headlight, guidance by the stars only.

Then when I get back there's a keg of Guinness waiting for me and a blowjob from Elizabeth Hurley.

I have a very similar dream except: I have a plate full of Skyline Chili Dogs (a Cincinnati thing) waiting with a semi-naked but 'ready' Selma Hayek. Also, in the corner is three midgets cock-slapping my ex-wife in the face and their dicks are tattooed with an exact replica of my monthly check that she receives. If I stare at the midgets while getting ready to do Selma, I will pre-mature ejaculate. ...And that is hard to explain to my girlfriend when I wake up.

:shock: Look away....loooook awaaaayyy!

You're trying to toss your own salad...?

The testimonials on the Pilot Sport seem pretty good, and I can't imagine it would hold up any worse than this!

Everyone I know who uses them is getting 3000-5000 miles from them. Even the guy with the MV Agusta (light, low on torque) gets only 5k.

Tire mileage varies widely with riding style, pavement type, and the phases of the moon. Back when I was using the Avon 39/40 Supersports I got 4500 miles from one rear and 1200 from another. 4k-ish from a third.

So is there any reason to think that *any* of the new sport-touring tires will last longer than the others? I had thought to try the Pilot roads of Roadtecs next, but if they're just gonna wind up melting in 4k miles I'll stick with the Avons.

Bryan...I know our road surfaces suck, but still...

I think the Pilot Road might last longer. But I doubt it will be much longer, and you can't really judge from one tire to another directly unless you ride the same roads, at the same speeds.

I'll likely throw another '46 on the rear to capitalize on the remaining life left in the front. Then... I'll go through the tire dilemna again at the end of the summer. :roll:

-Pace

I'm 5K into my 46, but won't be replacing it with another, I don't think. The tire has worn well, and probably has another 3K or so left in it, but it just doesn't have enough grip for me.

Seemed to work wonders in PA, but has noticeably less bite than the 36 did, especially on some of the roads I ride on, but I'll run it out before I pass final judgement.

The 45 looks almost new still, so I might just go another 46 to keep them matched, or try to sell the front. Just seems a waste to throw out the 45, and I'm anxious to try the Sportec's.

Oooof, Northman-I ran 3 rear Sportecs to a single front, and replaced them all before 8,000 miles had passed. I thought the Sportecs were super sticky and very soft on the road, but they burned through SO fast: I felt like every time I opened the throttle I could see a big sharpie colored smear unroll behind my back tire. Real stable on the track, but I only do 1 track day ayear.

So far, I've been very happy with the ride and stick of the Avons (and they're stickier than the 35/36 in the rain, I think); my bitch is that I can't seem to find a sport-touring tire that lasts more than 4500 miles on the back. I doubt you'll be impressed by the duration of the Sportecs.

Bryan... and I ain't fast...

Dumb question coming: Why doesn't anyone use the bt57? I know they are harder to find, but how do they compare in the grip dept compared to the other sport turing tires out there? (Avon 46, BT020, pilot road, etc..)

I have a 98 with 7900 miles, and stock rear bt57 that I will be replacing any day now. I dunno which tire to use.....????

I want something that will last more than 3k miles, and not feel like a rock.

I want something that will last more than 3k miles, and not feel like a rock.

I think that's what we're all looking for. It's not out there..........

yet. :sad:

The tire has worn well, and probably has another 3K or so left in it, but it just doesn't have enough grip for me.

Chris, That really surprises me. I am of the opinion that the 46 sticks better than the 36 did. I never once ran out of grip last summer down in Tennessee while riding the twisty stuff. Maybe I'm not powering out of the corners as hard as you are, but the 45/46 combo went all the way to the edge countless times and the bottom of my fairing is scratched on both sides.

I think the 45/46 combo blows the 35/36 combo away!!!!

I had the 35/36 combo on for a short time and felt uncomfortable with them. I now have the 46 on the rear with the 35 still on the front.

I just don't like that front.