CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon AV45 and AV46 tires

RodeRash

I know a lot of people on this board use and endorse these tires.

Since I will be shortly in the market for new tires, I thought I might try a set. When I went to order the tires, I found that the only the B model tires have a "Z" speed rating.

The B model tires also cost an additional $20. or so each. If you regularly go deep into triple digit speeds with a loaded bike, make sure you buy the correct tire.

As for me, I think I'll order Michelin Pilot Roads.

Dammit, and I just had my A45/46's installed today... guess I'll have to take a close look at them before I go for my next ride.

I do a bit of high speed riding, but usually all the bike is loaded down with is myself. I think I'll be alright.

Phew... after a walk to the garage to check, mine are Z-rated. Thank God the Honda shop ended up ordering the good ones.

I've got maybe 50 miles on them so far. They feel 100% better than the old worn out Bridgestones that were on it.

Has anyone noticed the read end slide around during heavy cross winds with the Avons? I didn't notice this much at all with my Pilot Roads but the Avon 46ST moves around a bit too much for my liking.

Other than that gripe I love the tires. Pilot Roads and these Avons are top notch in my book for stick and wear.

I'm on my second set of 45/46's (after a set of 35/36's, two sets of M-1's, and the original BT56's)-and these are the best street tire I've had on so far. The Sportecs were *slightly* softer on rough roads, but didn't stick any better (at double-the-speed-limit speeds), and they wore out waaay too fast. I haven't noticed any swaying with the rear tire in high winds (and we get them, occaissionally in CO), but I've put about 3mm of ride height on the Penske, too-that might have an impact.

Bryan...still, the Pilot Roads sound interesting...

My Pilot Roads arrived, and are waiting for me to get off my ass and get them installed. They are replacing a set of Michelin Macadam 100's. The Macadam's have about 3000-3500 miles on them, and have quite a bit of milage left, but I am getting ready for a long ride, and don't want to run out of tires in the middle of my trip. I'll remount them when the Pilot Roads are used up.

The Macadam's have worked great on the BlackBird. They stick well, and the front tire has not cupped at all. I'm pretty sure I could get 6000 miles out of the rear, and maybe 9000 from the front. (My rear tires are usually shot at 4500) I'd buy them again, but they were obsoleted by the Pilot Roads, and are getting hard to find.

I have run Michelin tires in the past on other bikes. I could never get a set to last, but these sport touring tires have made a believer out of me.

My tires don't have anything that says "B" on them, and I didn't ask for anything like that. They do have a "Z" rating but I didn't see a service descriptor. Without a service descriptor, Z rated tires are assumed to be rated for sustained speeds of 150 MPH. Y rated tires are 186 MPH. With the old AV39/40 there was a specific set with the Y rating, but unfortunately that had shallower tread and less-sticky rubber necessary to earn that rating. I didn't like them.

Where did this info come from? Got any links or more specifics?

RodeRash raised a good point. The following was copied from the Avon site. Maybe this information doesn't apply to the tires we have ordered. Apparently recommend the 49/50 combo.

How fast have any of you had your 45/46's?

My 45/46's are W rated which are good for 168 MPH.

Bike

Make: Honda Capacity: 1100

Model: CBR 1100 XX Super Blackbird Type: SPORT TOURING

Start Year: 1997 End Year:

Code: SC 35 Needs: ZR V300

Front Tyre

Name: 120/70 R17 (58W) AV49-SP B Sport

Rims: MT3.50-17 Size: 120/70-17

Pressure: 2.90bar (42psi)

Rear Tyre

Name: 180/55 R17 (73W) AV50-SP B Sport

Rims: MT5.50-17 Size: 180/55-17

Pressure: 2.90bar (42psi)

Q. What do the various elements of the tyre size actually mean?

A. Using the example 180/55ZR17 [73W],

180 = the nominal width of the tyre, measured in millimetres.

55 = the height of the sidewall, expressed as a percentage of the nominal width.

Z = speed rating

R = denotes a tyre of radial construction

17 = the rim diameter, expressed in inches

73 = amount of load the tyre can carry, as a figure in a table

W =Final speed rating of tyre

Right, the "B" tires are V300 rated (European 300 kM/h rating) which is equivalent to the US Y rating (186 MPH = 300 kM/h). Avon has always had these two options in the supersport tire range. I don't recall seeing any option other than Z rating in the sport-touring range, but they may exist.

I've had my 45/46 to top speed a few times, but that doesn't mean much. Maybe I just got lucky. The rating is for continuous speed (5 minutes or more), because the major issue is heat buildup. That's why the V300 tires are thinner. The secondary benefit of thinner tread is less inertial mass trying to rip the tire apart (I believe at 186 MPH the effective load is over 2,000 PSI at the tread, if my math is right).

The only time I've ridden at 180-ish for a long period of time I was still on the stock rubber. I held that for about 10 minutes. That's a long fucking time at that speed. My brain could probably not cope with much longer at that speed; just too much to process and consider. Also you run out of gas really fast at that speed.

Where did this info come from?

When I went to order tires from MAW, they list by tire size. (Z rated tires will have a "Z" in the size designation like 180-55 ZR17) The B series tires have the Z in the tire size. They cost more, and are listed as OEM tires.

However, this may not mean anything. There may be another speed designation on the tire itself. (I don't have a tire to check)

Maybe someone on this board with a set could check this out and report what they find.

The Avon motorcycle tire web site lists two different speed ratings for their tires. (as well as two load ratings) These two speed ratings vary according to how much weight is on the tire. In order to qualify for the higher speed rating (174 mph) the load rating drops down quite a bit.

I would be happy to report to everyone that I was wrong.

Z rated tires are assumed to be rated for sustained speeds of 150 MPH.

I have Z rated tires also, but at the end of that designation there is another indicator in parenthesis that gives the load index and speed rating of the tire. Mine looks like this: 120/70ZR17 m/c (58W). Doesn't this indicate the max. speed is the W rating instead of the Z rating?

The only time I've ridden at 180-ish for a long period of time I was still on the stock rubber. I held that for about 10 minutes

I'm only good for a minute or two at a time before I run out of road....Damn!!!!

Doesn't this indicate the max. speed is the W rating instead of the Z rating?

Yeah, that's the "service descriptor" I mentioned above. I'll need to go pop the bike on the stand and look all over the tires. But it's 95 degrees here now, and the bike is all the way downstairs, and this server room I'm in has a dedicated A/C set to a comfy 68 degrees.

I'm only good for a minute or two at a time before I run out of road

Come for a visit. There's a road here that has four lanes of new, perfect pavement and goes 60+ miles in a straight line. It goes from nowhere to nowhere, so it's barely travelled. I did pass a cop on it once, but as far as I could tell, he didn't even bother. Not that I could see him for very long.

This road is where my GPS gave me my personal best of 182.7 MPH.

Speaking of high speed, am I the only one with this fantasy...? To find a dry lake bed, where you know there's nothing to hit, get to top speed, and...close your eyes...? :shock:

The alternate fantasy is the same dry lake bed at night with no moon. You'd be out-riding your headlight by easily three times anyway. Hit the starter switch to kill the headlight, guidance by the stars only.

Then when I get back there's a keg of Guinness waiting for me and a blowjob from Elizabeth Hurley.

:pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup:

After reading that I need someone to hold me.

Man what a fabulous mind !!! I could not have constructed that fantasy any better if I was stoned, drunk, tipping cows, while riding my bird through a cow pasture.

Louie

Just before she blows me, I want her to huskily whisper the line from that movie she did recently. "I'm the devil." I about blew my load in the theatre.

Cow tipping. Heh. I grew up next to a dairy farm.

I just got back from a 1,500 mile road trip, which consisted of about 75% interstate and the remaining miles on 20mph-70mph twisties. Before I began the trip the rear was showing about 40% wear across the entire tread after 3,000miles that included one track day.

Now the rear is down to the wear bar in the middle of the tread. I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed that the tire is toast after 4,500 miles. I had hoped that it would hold up a little better to the highway miles, but it has flat-spotted significantly. The front looks about %25 worn and has worn evenly, but appears to have lost some traction (have had the front end push a couple of times in fast sweepers).

In fairness, I did have my Givi box loaded down with about 40lbs of crap, but bear in mind I'm no heavyweight at 160lbs. :???:

Is this tire a dual compound construction? I assume not..

-Pace

I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed that the tire is toast after 4,500 miles.

Cal and I among others had got hold of a bad batch,you sure you don't have one of those? Thats about the milage we got out of the first one,our replacement seems to be wearing alot better. JS

Contact John at Avon tires and tell him that you're very disappointed with the wear on your tires and you'll get a new rear no problem!!

1-800-624-7470

Fax 425-771-4246