CBR1100XX.org Forum

Too much leg heat

silverbird1100

The pipes on my Ducati were wrapped and it helped, that bike is a known leg cooker.  I've got a ceramic coated stock header for the XX I haven't installed, decided to try out a Yosh 4-1 and haven't switched it out, not sure if I will.

going with aftermarket pipes helped mine

I would imagine wrapping them would be a cheap and easy experiment.

Buddy got his header and mid pipe coated for $250 on his kwacker but don't know if that's the going price or not. He was more after color than heat reduction though.

7 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

Has anyone come up with an idea to reduce the heat blast on your legs?

I have never noticed that but I don't live in a heat cooker place.  Wrapping headers is hard on them according to what I have read.

On April 4, 2016 at 5:29 PM, blackhawkxx said:

I have never noticed that but I don't live in a heat cooker place.  Wrapping headers is hard on them according to what I have read.

This. There have been a few threads here regarding doing that, and the general consensus from a few guys that I really respect (think Stan or Eric) said negative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2016 at 5:28 PM, RXX said:

This. There have been a few threads here regarding doing that, and the general consensus from a few guys that I really respect (think Stan or Eric) said negative.

Yes there can be a lot of problems associated with wrapping the headers, mainly moister trap and rust, but also heat fatigue and cracking (too much heat stays in the pipe and makes it weak)

So , No, I don't like wrapping headers unless they are stainless and thick.

However, with all that said... yes I did partially wrap the headers on my bike, but i did this to help the motor cool. I only wrapped the headers for about 4 or 5 inches from the flanges. Once the wrap was below the radiator, it stops.

I was hoping to stop the radiant exhaust heat from going into the radiator, and I think it worked rather well. I think my bike runs a lot cooler now, but I have no data to prove it.

• Upvote 2

The stock headers are stainless, carbed ones being a bit thinner than EFI.

Those first few inches get the hottest so if they don't crack there they'll probably be fine being fully wrapped.  I'd think it might be more stressful with the short wrap because there's the still super hot part of the pipe suddenly transitioning to unwrapped and cooler pipe.