CBR1100XX.org Forum

oil and long term storage

ExPatXX

I saw this earlier- but don't remember where on the Pub.

Two questions:

1. Length of time between oil changes if the bikes are just sitting. I think I read that synthetic can stay for much longer than regular oils from a forum member.
  2. If the bikes have run on regular oil- any problem switching to synthetic?

I might not get to them again for a year or more.

Oil type doesn't matter much for storage. Just make sure it's fresh.

Of more importance, especially with carburated engines, is the use of fuel preservative. I use it for anything longer than 3 months without being used.

• Like 1

What do you recommend if he finds pure gas (non-ethanol). What would the fuel issues be then? (Still use Stabil?)

I try to use this in spite of the fact it's about 75 cents more per gallon...

No matter what he uses, gas evaporates. The Stabil helps a lot.

I think either way, if he might run it now and then like I do, is to just B-12 Chemtool or Seafoam to keep the system clean while it's not being used.

1. Length of time between oil changes if the bikes are just sitting.

Some one on here had a different opinion but I have let the same oil in cars for years that was not run with no ill affects. I checked the inside of the oil pan and there was no sludge or build up.

2.If the bikes have run on regular oil- any problem switching to synthetic?

I have switched back and forth with no trouble but I would be less likely to do it to a high mileage motor for fear of oil leaks. Yes, it happened to me on cars.

Not sure B-12 or Seafoam do much for storage.

It says on the can that it is for storage. When I started to use it with the Stabil, I had less carb issues.

The gas tanks are empty and coated inside with WD-40. I'm hoping that the injectors on my SV aren't clogged. The last gas ran through them had stabil in it. I couldn't figure out in the limited time how to blow air in to remove residual gas in the injectors or even if that's a good idea. I can get new injectors- its the time factor, I'll only be back for 3 weeks before I have to return to the Village.

• Like 1

Oil types can be changed any time, either is fine for storage but high end synthetics are better in use and in storage. Definitely fuel stabilizer and a completely full tank to minimize water accumulation. If you're concerned about tank rust pour in some oil, just remove that oiled gas before putting a load on the engine, can cause detonation. You can run the oil/gas through the system to add an oil barrier to the cylinders & other parts. Can be harmful to catalytic converters so run it just long enough to flow the oil/gas through the system. If it's carbed, drain them to further reduce the chance of issues, injectors can be left full since there should be no evaporation nor condensation entry.

• Upvote 1

Not sure B-12 or Seafoam do much for storage.

It says on the can that it is for storage. When I started to use it with the Stabil, I had less carb issues.

Good to know.