CBR1100XX.org Forum

Does Mobil 1 have ill effects on your clutch?

FDchief

This should start a lively discussion. I have used Mobil 1 for many years in my cars, but have been warned not to use it on my bikes due to terminal clutch slipping. What is the thoughts of this group?

If possible, I would like to use it, but don't want premature clutch problems.

It is the general consensus, both on this forum and in general, that synthetic oil does not cause clutch problems. That is as long as you don't use the lighter weights like 10-30 that are energy conserving.

I've been using it in my XX and XR, no probs. (except for the fluctuating price) :roll:

Ive run a variety of oils and filters. Though I have my current favorite combo ,my point is at 52K miles I have a light slip when cold. Ive done more than my share ofwheelies and agressive riding anf think that is my clutch wear more than m non motorcycle oil.

I prefer semi synths

Oil threads are usually garbage, but at least this one's specific. My Mobil 1 info's anecdotal, not scientific.

I've used Mobil 1 red-cap about 25K miles in this bike (1999 Bird), 100K + or more mile in various bikes and cages back to 1993 when I first heard of the stuff. I've never had a lick of trouble: turned out the slipping clutch issue on my former Aprilia Mille was due to the slipper clutch glazing the plates, not "too slippery" oil.

Not sure the weight I use; guessing 15W/50 (obviously not an area of major concern for me). Changed about every 6K miles, in the cage and both bikes. Available for twenty bucks at Wal-Mart on-sale; I believe that's for five liters.

The Bird runs fine, as does the ZX636B, two bikes currently in my stable. The latter's tougher on oil, I suspect, and the clutch hasn't slipped in the slightest due to oil or any other reason through about seven track outings.

My conclusion: Mobil 1 red-cap isn't doing any obvious harm to the bikes or cage. I'd keep clear of formulations with additives, however, on general principles. Fairly sure the red cap's free of most additives.

-=DRB=-

I`ve never had clutch slip problem on XX while using M1 15w/50.It is not the same to say this problem won`t happen on different bikes.

On Yzf 1000 (THunderace) M1 15w/50 will cause STARTER clutch to work erraticly.I want back and fore with M1 and dyno/M1mx4 oils and it happens every time when car M1 is in the crank case.Good news is that when this happens fix is as easy as filling sump with diff oil.