CBR1100XX.org Forum

Coolant Hoses

RC Randy

Stopped to fuel up yesterday after work, and when I was stopped noticed a little puddle of coolant. Thought it was just maybe the water pump, was close to home so took off, and on the final stretch noticed I was leaving a trail. Once home, it was just pouring coolant, until it drained itself.

Removed the side panels, raised the tank, and initially couldn't find the leak. First hose I removed was the one coming off of the water pump, and even though it looked fine from the outside, you could see on the inside where it split at the seam. You could see the threads poking thru, and it was the seam that was against the motor.

This was my 99XX, with 60,000 miles, and its getting all coolant hoses replaced, and also a new water pump kit. I've never heard much said about coolant hoses on the forums, but I feel lucky it went down the way it did. Could have either dumped it, or been stranded.

Blackbirds last so long that it is probably a good idea to replace the hoses on the older ones.

I replaced mine a couple years ago.

I've often wondered how many have needed or changed hoses.Hey I sell these parts,weird thoughts like that happen all the time.

They seem to last exceptionally long,mine are original 99 as well,each year I checked them at the start of the season,still seem really good.

Somebody better buy some before Honda decides to discontinue them.

Never replaced mine....might do it next winter. Hoses can last well over 10 years with no problems. Heat kills them more than anything else. They'd go out every 2-3 years in south Florida. Since moving to Virginia, they almost never fail.

Never replaced mine....might do it next winter. Hoses can last well over 10 years with no problems. Heat kills them more than anything else. They'd go out every 2-3 years in south Florida. Since moving to Virginia, they almost never fail.

:icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:

I think we told you not to pollute The Garage . You have accept the fact that as far as mechanical engineering goes you are certified idiot and basically should STFU .

I think we told you not to pollute The Garage . You have accept the fact that as far as mechanical engineering goes you are certified idiot and basically should STFU .

Maybe a little over the top?

Probably , but we have here zero - tolerance policy for serial offenders .

Just stating the facts.

When I lived in Florida, hoses had to be checked carefully every 2 years. Heat just rotted them out like crazy...especially if a vehicle was kept outside.

Moved to Virginia and watched that practically disappear. I don't believe hoses miraculously improved in quality overnight.

My '99 XX has no sign of wear in any of the hoses, and I looked over them this past winter. Maybe to be safe I'll change them out next winter.

Just stating the facts.

When I lived in Florida, hoses had to be checked carefully every 2 years. Heat just rotted them out like crazy...especially if a vehicle was kept outside.

Have you observed that happen on XX ?

Not all hoses are created equal .

The particular hose that burst on my bike had a coating on the lower inside of the hose, from 11 years, 60,000 miles of riding. It doesn't leak oil but over the years it had seeped from somewhere making a coating that is of the same consistansty you would find inside the front sprocket cover. Once removed you could see some swelling of the hose where the coating had collected over the years.

The rest of the hoses look OK from the outside, but $211 for 5 hoses and a water pump kit from Ron Ayres, is worth it for the piece of mind.

Just stating the facts.

Have you observed that happen on XX ?

Not all hoses are created equal .

No, but it's why I've not worried so much about it up north. That Florida heat would just kill rubber parts.

The particular hose that burst on my bike had a coating on the lower inside of the hose, from 11 years, 60,000 miles of riding. It doesn't leak oil but over the years it had seeped from somewhere making a coating that is of the same consistansty you would find inside the front sprocket cover. Once removed you could see some swelling of the hose where the coating had collected over the years.

The rest of the hoses look OK from the outside, but $211 for 5 hoses and a water pump kit from Ron Ayres, is worth it for the piece of mind.

I am about to r/r my water pump. Tell me how yours goes. Mine was making a "bearings are about to go out" whirring noise. Will I have to replace pump or can they be rebuilt?

I am about to r/r my water pump. Tell me how yours goes. Mine was making a "bearings are about to go out" whirring noise. Will I have to replace pump or can they be rebuilt?

I opened up my fscked waterpumps - as far as I can tell they are not economically repairable. Replace, ride, enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

So I will plead ignorance. How much better are silicone hoses? The US web site for this brand claims a drop in operating temperatures when using them.

The Ron Ayres price for hoses and pump kit doesn't sound so bad. I wouldn't mind getting some spares before they dissapear.

So I will plead ignorance. How much better are silicone hoses? The US web site for this brand claims a drop in operating temperatures when using them.

The Ron Ayres price for hoses and pump kit doesn't sound so bad. I wouldn't mind getting some spares before they dissapear.

I think you have a few years before Honda quits manufacturing consumables for the XX since it was sold until 2007.