CBR1100XX.org Forum

Frame Modifications

rockmeupto125

As I was changing plugs on an XX for the way too manyth time in my life, I pondered, did I.

There's a brace above the valve cover of the XX running crosswise between the frame spars. Its in the way of everything. I wonder what it contributes to the chassis? The steering neck and frame spars are massive. The brace mounts at a bend of those spars and creates a triangulation. Does that really stiffen the frame that much? The engine's a stressed member, so movement in that area would already be minimized. I just find it difficult to imagine a significant degree of chassis rigidity or strength this brace provides beyond the already huge and slablike box section perimeter coupled with that lump of motor.

There are those of you who have modified the frames for a more specific focus. Stan and a few others have quads with heavily modified front ends. Zentime has done extensive revision for his HPS. Elixxir and others have built dragstrip only versions. And there are those of you I'm sure have both a hacksaw and way too much time on your hands.

A search around the net reveals claims from several different sources that removing the brace does not effect the performance of the vehicle in dragracing applications. Nowhere was there reference to street or road course use, and the remarks were anecdotal and certainly not part of a discussion on chassis engineering.

So my questions are:

1.Has anyone removed this brace and able to offer a studied impression of the result?

2.Can anyone here with a comprehension of the physics of chassis dynamics and engineering comment on the relative worth of this crossbrace?

I'm betting by simple layman inspection that it does provide torsional resistance and rigidity to the steering head. The XX is a heavy sled after all. A whole LOT of side torque load on that head in a corner. But I dunno shizzle....just like I'm reminded by my wife and daughters frequently... :icon_whistle:

Thought about that very brace, and deduced that is was necessary, where it is, due to flexing of the spars above the engine mounting points leading to side ways loads to the forks. It boxes those points, on a angle, and without, would lead to a moving point between the tire contact patch, and the load, or CG. Triangulation would have been stiffer, but some is the same as suspension, in a direction there is none.

that very brace was one of the differences between the old GSXR 600 and 1000. I would imagine due to motor power and torque of the frame without it you could cause some serious/fatal damage to the frame.

That's what I was told by Brock Davidson, IIRC. He said it was for stability in hard cornering when there are bumps; the bar prevents twist on the steering head.

Dunno who Brock is, but it's nice to know I'm at least smarter than the closest doorknob... :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...