CBR1100XX.org Forum

maintanance question from a new member

willxx23

2 months ago i bought a 00 bird from a local dealership in sd. the bike had 27,000 miles on it it looks clean and brand new no mods completly stock, runs great no funny noises, my question is the manual states valve clearances to be checked at 16,000 mi, is the next check at 32,000 and so on? sorry if this is a stupid question.

Welcome WillXX, The Honda recommended service interval is indeed at 16K and again at 32K. A couple of forum members have gone well beyond the 32K without any adjustments being needed. Should you ignore the recommended check? Not if you feel like it may need it, but most of the comments that I've seen here so far indicate that even at the 32K and 48K check, no adjustment has been needed. Do whatever makes you comfortable and always error to the side of caution.

I agree with Vern do what makes you feel most comfortable - ask the dealer if they have any service records on the bike you bought.

Ask if the valves were done at 16K and ask to see the service record if possible. If it was done, then I wouldn't worry too much - if it wasn't - then I would get it done now to cover the 16K & 32K services.

I'd been wondering the same thing. My '99 had just had the 16K service done before I bought it. If the valves don't need doing, does that mean they're OK 'til the next major service, or do you have to recheck at all the intermediate 4K services? Do the valves make the "ticking" sound when they're getting out of adjustment? Never had a bike with this many miles (wow! 23K!), sailing in unchartered waters!

I bought mine used with 3800 mi. on it. I checked the valves at 8k, 16k, 32k always in spec. They're suposed to be checked every 16k miles. Just parinoid at 8k. :roll:

A lot of others have checked and they have been fine, some others don't even check.

I will always check mine every 16k for peace of mind. easy to do. It's only when you find one or more out of spec. that it gets more difficult.

Nobody has ever reported NEEDING to adjust the valves. Some people have said they checked them and one or two were within range but not centered in the range, but I have never heard of one out of range. I've got 47k on mine and have not checked them yet. I'm thinking I'll do it out of paranoia for the 48k service, but I know I'm just going to be pissed I wasted my time.

A friend who works for a fairly large Honda dealer says they have never, not once, opened the valve shim box.

:shock: guess i am being a little to careful, my previous two rides cbr 1000f 89,000mi, vf700f 32,000mi i never had the valves checked or did i ever worry about them, those bikes were bulletproof!

Willxx23, your new bike is MORE reliable then either of your previous bikes. I know, tough to believe, but true. Have a great time with her!!!

Just turned 40,000 miles (all mine). Getting faster every year.

MaXX