CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chains

Emillard

My 2002 XX just turned over 30,000 miles and it looks like it's time for a new chain. I replaced the OEM with an RK 530 at 14,660 miles and it looks like another replacement is due. I can hear a click click click when I start up under load. Coasting or decelerating doesn't generate this binding sound.

How many miles are you guys getting out of a chain?

My 2002 XX just turned over 30,000 miles and it looks like it's time for a new chain. I replaced the OEM with an RK 530 at 14,660 miles and it looks like another replacement is due. I can hear a click click click when I start up under load. Coasting or decelerating doesn't generate this binding sound.

I've seen people get 25k+ out of the stock chain.

I never got more than about 15k out of a replacement chain either.

:icon_confused:

I've seen people get 25k+ out of the stock chain.

I never got more than about 15k out of a replacement chain either.

:icon_confused:

I don't do smiley face burnouts and they wear out at 20k like clockwork.

lol...

:icon_biggrin:

I've never really worn one out, but replace the stock one at 25,000 miles "just because" (it had just started to stretch), and replaced my next one (DID 530 ZVM2) at 27,000 "just because" (it had not started to stretch yet)...

I weigh 200#, ride all year round (think salt and sand), rain, etc...

I do, however, (over) lube it with the Honda "white graphite" lube every 300 miles or so...

I also never clean them... I cleaned the first one, because I was using the JP1, that EVERYTHING sticks to, but after I switched to the Honda stuff at 10k, it was smooth sailing...

I gather that 15k miles is pretty good out of an RK chain... I'd want to get more than 20k out of a properly maintained DID or EK...

Mike

Can you over-clean a chain? I am religous about washing my bike and cleaning the chain (with S100). I then dry the chain with some shop rags and apply the chain wax. However I'm seeing some rust on the inside of the chain whcih tells me I'm not getting enough lube on the inner part.

20k with regular maintenance. Even with a quality aftermarket chain I still get under 25K. If you’re not vigilant on chain maintenance It will shorten the life

15K is about what I get out of a chain before I start seeing some tight links. Lots of lubrication is the key to long chain life, but I hate the mess. I use chain wax about a third of the time and occasionally re-charge it with some WD-40. The chain wax will build up over time and sling little wax balls all over everything. They are very hard to clean off. The re-charging is always done after a ride on a hot chain. Almost no fly-off if you let it set over-night.

Can you over-clean a chain? I am religous about washing my bike and cleaning the chain (with S100). I then dry the chain with some shop rags and apply the chain wax. However I'm seeing some rust on the inside of the chain whcih tells me I'm not getting enough lube on the inner part.

15K is about what I get out of a chain before I start seeing some tight links. Lots of lubrication is the key to long chain life, but I hate the mess. I use chain wax about a third of the time and occasionally re-charge it with some WD-40. The chain wax will build up over time and sling little wax balls all over everything. They are very hard to clean off. The re-charging is always done after a ride on a hot chain. Almost no fly-off if you let it set over-night.

I had always read that chain "wax" is cleaner than "lube", but the chains don't last nearly as long... Chain wax is really only to stop corrosion, and maybe lube a little bit between the roller and the chain, for a little while... Lube is... lube...

I use the chain "lube"...

Mike

I`m going to put new ZVM2 in an hour or so.That is gonna be third one,old ones lasted 33K and 32 K miles.No tight spots,but it starts to go click,click under acceleration when dry,it is time for the new one.

I`m totally unanal about cleaning bike(s) or chains,just lubricate them with Spectro Super Clean,or any other chain lube I happen to use.

ZVM2 is a good shite,with proper maintenance 40 K is possible.

+ 1 on the ZVM2. I put a "gold" one on last time. Don't think that is what is making it last longer though. I have just over 10K on this one and have had others last 25K. But this time around, I have been keeping the chain slightly looser, I think I had been over tightening previous ones. For lube I have been using Dupont Teflon Lube that I got at Lowes. This chain is not stretching. I am really amazed. Maybe the gold is better? :icon_rolleyes:

I`m going to put new ZVM2 in an hour or so.That is gonna be third one,old ones lasted 33K and 32 K miles.No tight spots,but it starts to go click,click under acceleration when dry,it is time for the new one.

I`m totally unanal about cleaning bike(s) or chains,just lubricate them with Spectro Super Clean,or any other chain lube I happen to use.

That's exactly how my chain sounds. I dumped some more wax on it today and it quited it down a bit but I know the underlying issue is still there.

I've always used this stuff called Maxima Chain Wax. However it also syas that it's chain and cable lub. "Fling resistant, special pafarin base, o-ring chain safe" are the tag lines.

I've heard good things about that Dupont stuff. Maybe I'll give that or the Spectro Super Clean a try.

I just replaced my stock chain, it was in the red zone on the swing arm. It had 20525 miles on it.

I replaced my OEM original at just over 17K. I am currently replacing the replacement at 48K, so 31K. I use a pro-oiler though. Any auto-oiler will greatly increase life, but they are not without issues (or cost)

Mine now has 25.4 k miles on the original chain. I clean mine with diesel fuel with extra oil mixed in and wipe it down with a shop rag.

I then fire the bike up, let it idle in 1st gear for a minute and then apply rear end lube (sparingly) to the moving chain on the links as well as the end of the rollers.

I let it idle for another minute or 2 and then give it a coat of chain wax to keep the lube in the chain.

I still apply a bit of the oil every 3 or 400 miles.

Forida heat and sand can be brutal on chains.

My last DID is now formally knackered... its done 30,000km and tension around the chain varies bigtime. I do the occasional wheelie and probably don;t lube as often as I should.

Will have to get a replacement this weekend - the front sprocket is a new 16 tooth, rear is stock, and they both look OK.

Add a Pro-oiler and add many more miles.

The no hassle auto oiling, on the fly adjustment more than have offset the cost. I hadn't even considered longer chain life. I installed one last year and still have not adjusted the chain, It can make a mess till you get it dialed in with the right lube and amount. I like it.

I just replaced mine at 20K miles with ZVM DID 530 and both sprockets. Chain just kept having to be adjusted. They say if you can pull more than 1/16th of an inch of the chain from the rear sprocket at 3 o'clock (upper right setting) while it's tight, then it's time for a new one.

20,000 miles for me...I keep it clean and lubed every 250 miles...more often if rain ridden....I too run mine a bit loose...