CBR1100XX.org Forum

Delkevic Exhaust

Emillard

I found these on Ebay. They are cheap, almost ridiculously cheap which makes me wonder. :icon_think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CBR11...sQ5fAccessories

However, I found a sound clip on YouTube and they sound great.

It looks like they're made in the UK as well.

Anyone have any experience?

Have one bought from a member. Works well and well built

+1

I sprung for a set of them last week, went with the SS 350MM sized pipes. Got them two days ago, look ok to me. I unfortunately forgot to pick up a couple of new exhaust gaskets so I'm stuck on the install until later this week/weekend. Here's an OEM vs Delk comparison shot, the box they came in was way lighter than OEM (14.4 lbs).

PB190005.jpg

I was speaking to the local Delkavic rep down here, who told me that the 350s sold well in UK where they like them louder, but the 450s are more common down here as they have a bit deeper note & aren't subject to the "beans rattling in a can" that you can sometimes get with the shorter cans. Interested in how it sounds for you as I have yet to decide which way to go. (If I can even scrape up the money, that is!)

Yeah, dunno why, but I kinda thought they'd sound different and be louder too. I called and spoke with "Luke", the guy listed within the Ebay ad, right before I ordered them and asked him the same question... he told me there was no difference in sound between the 350 and 450 MM... so we'll see I guess. There's a YouTube video out there that's got a 450 MM with a sound clip, I couldn't tell if he still had the baffles in them or not, and he doesn't really get behind the cans to hear them very well, but the sound those put out on that vid were pretty quiet, almost OEM-ish. They certainly looked good/acceptable so I'm hopeful these will have a bit more than those did... I'll definitely post a follow up report after this weekend...

Exhaust gaskets? Where do they go?

I recently installed a pair of D&Ds and as far as I know there were none....maybe some need them and some don't?

Hey Bob, how the heck are ya?

Yeah, there's an exhaust gasket between both OEM cans and the pipe underneath. When the Delk mid pipes go on, they're designed to use this gasket and mine is stuck in the OEM pipes... I attempted to get one out and just gave up soon afterwards...

#6 on this Ron Ayers page

So, did you get a chance to put them on over the weekend?

If so, how do they sound? :icon_evilgrin:

I got hung up on the valve check this weekend and didn't have the shims necessary to complete the job... so I also had to put my suspension upgrades on hold for the time being.

Got the shims today and buttoned the engine up. There's an issue with the left mid pipe, it's the right size and all, but the center stand stop is short by an inch or two, so basically the stand bangs into the pipe until it hits the chain, not good... so I called them up and told them what I found, it was late in the day so Luke couldn't get an answer but he did call me back and told me he'd find out tmw morning and let me know. So, once again, I'm somewhat stuck but...

I put them on anyway and left it on the center stand... took the baffles out and fired the Bird up... this thing really roars! I couldn't friggin believe it, very nice. My buddy was there and he thought they sounded great as well. Plenty of roar for my tastes and considering I spent about $300 for them, I'm thinking they're a winner. I'd like to try them with the baffles in place as a comparison though. We'll see what all happens with the mid pipe though before I make a final judgment, but these guys definitely seem to want things to go right... if all goes well, I'll attempt to record a sound or two as it's way different than that guy's on YouTube, he must have had the baffles in place (although he does have the 450 mm cans on), as mine is louder and deeper than his... I much prefer the sound over OEM pipes, for sure.

Rob, ping Stan (cbrxxquad) and see if he's got any center stand stops laying around. He made and sold them for a bit. Also, a search here for the same will probably get you a few different homebrew solutions to get you rolling.

I have one of his center stand stops already! :) Great piece of metalwork. (The rubber bung fell off my (98)OEM... :icon_rolleyes: )

Let us know how it sounds with the baffles in. I'm really interested in a set of these & the shorties will look a bit different, but while I like a bit of noise, I don't want it too loud and I prefer a deep tone. Really don't like high frequency exhaust noise, it sounds like a leak...

So none of the rep reported beans in can rattling?

Tim, Roger that, thanks for the tip, I'll drop Stan a PM and do some searching today...

Banshee - I took a few pics and quite honestly for my tastes, their so called "stubbies" look about right...

PB260001.jpg

PB260002.jpg

But, here's the issue,

1.jpg

1b.jpg

So, like I said, I called them yesterday and sent them an email with these pics this am. We'll see, I at least feel like these guys are trying to make things work, the call back yesterday afternoon was a good sign, I thought. But bottom line, I can't ride the Bird as is...

The pipes themselves are straight through, when I took the baffle out, I could see right through the slip ons... the baffle is really nothing more than a piece of smaller pipe, capped at the end and it bolts inside the center of the hole, but I'll try them out this afternoon/evening. I did think that maybe they're a bit loud (I'm 47), but my buddy thought they were just right and that maybe being in the garage was making it sound louder for me (he's 35)... so I stepped outside while he rapped it out and it wasn't as bad as being inside the garage, standing next to it and running it... but these pipes do make the Bird sound, ANGRY.... I've only heard John01XX's Bird with his Akra full system (I believe) and to me, these are not too far off from those.

Like I said, I'll try them this afternoon with the baffles in and possibly attempt a sound file recording to give you an idea... other than the mid pipe situation, the fit/finish appears to be ok and I do like the sound. For the most part though, they'll be hidden by my fugly Givi sidecases... but whatever. I've had issues with the Staintunes on my VFR in the past so I figure this is just par for the course.

Hope everything works out for you, but if you really want to go for a ride, take the center-stand off. Make sure you have a tee-handled spring puller though. Pliers just don't work very well.

I see the problem! Hope it works out. I lost the rubber from my '98 and replaced it with a bolted on piece of brass. Then with the '07, I got one of the center stand stops just after the rubber fell out of my '07 (with '98 pipes).

I put my spare '98 pipes on (I had Yoshis on the '98 at the time of it's death), as the cat in my '07s was heating the mid pipe to ~340C, judging from the colour the stainless was going...

Good News/Bad News...

Can't post much at the moment, but needless to say we found the glitch! After exchanging numerous emails with their UK Tech guys as well as the guys here in the US, We found that the wrong set of mid pipes, hangers, etc were shipped with the slip ons... unfortunately a replacement set is not available in the US so they're sending them today from the UK... I have no idea how long that will take. But, at least the issue has been found. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to the sound file later this afternoon...

Ok, I did my best... Using a Sony IC recorder I use on occasion at work for design meetings and any other cya potential meetings I attend... and for the record, the Bird is sitting in my garage. The Sony doesn't do it any justice, but I think you can get the idea.

I can tell a slight bit of difference between them but not much, I'm not sure the baffle does much of anything really beyond maybe changing the sound note. I think I like it W/O a baffle. seems deeper tone'd almost.... I'd also swear that the more I listen to it, the less louder it seems to be... I'd like to hear your comments/thoughts on the sound level.

What do you think?

Without_Baffle.mp3

With_Baffle.mp3

Thanks for those. :icon_clap:

A bit hard to tell with the engine noise, (so they can't bee too loud I guess!), but from the clips no baffle sounded a bit like I remember the Yoshis on my '98 did. :icon_thumbsup:

I reckon some are now on my very short list! :icon_evilgrin:

Im running this brand stainless headers with two brothers M5 VALE slip ons, even though it claims its stock replacement, i gained SIGNIFICANT HP increases with this set up on my CARBED bird with NO issues!!! LOVE IT, and LOVE THE set up looks great with BEETLE BAGS! Only 4-2-1-2 system I know of and its SAWEEET! Ive had the headers installed for some time, bought the set on ebay for 200!

I guess I'll find out what they are like first hand. :) I've ordered a set of 450mm titaniums. Suspect they will be a little quieter and deeper in tone than the 350s which is what I'm after. Should have them by Wednesday or Thursday.

I went for the Ti as the normal costs are $239AUD/can for SS & $450AUD for Ti, but they had a big shipment of Ti come in at a good rate & are selling them at $299AUD/can.

Ordered them on Friday, he said they would be packed for shipping friday, sent monday, expect them probably wednesday/thursday. They were waiting when I got home, tuesday! Score 1 for prompt delivery. :)

Put the box on some scales when I got in as it felt suprisingly light, total weight in packaging, 7.9kg, (17.4lb), each (no cat) OEM can is 5.9kg (13lb) so >3.9kg (8.6lb) weight saving straight off the bat. :)

Went on fairly easily, though I had a bit of trouble getting the left pipe off first. After it was off, I realised there were 2 bolts on the clamp, not 1... :icon_redface:

Still playing around with positioning the pipes to get the angle right as the mids are separate to the cans. Made more difficult as the OEM gaskets are made to be quite slipery & no matter how tight you do them up, it can still move around. :icon_neutral:

Rode to work today with baffles out, ok on the freeway, you can actually hear the exhaust note instead of just the engine and chain. Seems quite loud in slow traffic, but not obnoxiously so, (I think). I'll try it with the baffles in later as they do make a substantial difference. Makes it quieter and takes out some of the low frequency sound. Doesn't resonate in my helmet the way the Yoshis on my '98 did, so don't need to go with earplugs all the time as I did with the Yoshis on.

Might pick up a cheap(ish) sound level meter & see how loud they really are. :icon_whistle:

Doesn't resonate in my helmet the way the Yoshis on my '98 did, so don't need to go with earplugs all the time as I did with the Yoshis on.

I have Yosh's on my 97 and I think they are one of the quietest aftermarket cans on the market. :icon_think: