CBR1100XX.org Forum

Delkevic Exhaust

Emillard

I had an oval RS3 vintage '99. They were not particularly loud, but the tone from them hit a harmonic with my helmet & the sound resonated in it. Helmet off standing by the bike, no problem. :icon_confused:

ok quick update:

Picked up a sound level meter & did some checks. The Authorities specs here say to measure noise at 525mm+/-25mm from ehaust tip at 45degrees to gas flow at same height. SO...

idle / 3000rpm / 5250rpm

Baffle in: 79dB / 88dB / 98dB

No baffle: 82dB / 92dB / 98dB

By the time I was at 5250rpm, the main source of noise was the engine, not the exhaust, so I put the meter level with the back of the tank at about 500mm and got ~102dB at 5250rpm...

edit: oh yes, I found the spec for the limit & they say 94dB, so even with a potential 2dB tolerance for the meter, they are basically legal down here baffle or no. :)

I dropped a request in email to Steele Cycle who is the eBay seller you Emillard noted as the Delkevic supplier. I had asked them to verify a measurement on one of their items so that I could be sure it would fit the application.

The reply I received two days later was "come to the store and you can measure anything you like this is the same as oem fitment for the bike listed."

It doesn't cost very much more to give good service instead of just being asshats. One more vendor I won't be sending money to.