CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Tires

Fuzz

Here we go again.

If you got the Qualifiers, the handling is great with decent wet-weather traction, but you'll be replacing the rear sooner than you think especially if you do any long distance riding. The new Roadsmart wears much better with almost as good traction.

• 1 year later...

I found a dude selling a set of dunlop Sportmax d-207's

and one know the stickiness of these, if memory serves me weren't they the stock xx tires..

looking for a set of one day track tires I can run on the street the rest of the year.

on a side note.. looking into shinko tires

They haven't made the 207's for a few years now. Even if they have never seen the ground, they may be to old to be worth it.

If they have never been mounted, still have the factory stickers, and a set is priced under $130, go for it. However, expect traction to fade quickly after that track day.

Don't touch 'em,they'll be hockey pucks.You'll be sliding everywhere because they will have lost a lot of their softness.Every tire loses a little grip each year it ages,some more than others.207's are ancient history,I seriously would not ride around the block on a pair.

Yes I have owned these tires before and riden on the street and the dragstrip with them.

Get something fresher,there are dates of manufacture on the sidewall of every tire,goes week/year i.e. 4209 is 42nd week of 2009.Up to 2 years is still a good bet on the track,3-5 years max on the street.

I found a dude selling a set of dunlop Sportmax d-207's

and one know the stickiness of these, if memory serves me weren't they the stock xx tires..

Stock tires on my '03 when I picked up new at the dealer were Michelin Macadam 100x.

I just mounted a set of Pirelli Angel ST's (180/55 rear) to the 1100xx.

All the bike mags have given them very positive reviews, they received alot of positive press at their product launch and the tires hold a high-speed world duration record (3209 miles in 24 hours).

A strong factor towards giving these tires a try is the cost. With my dealer discount, I was able to get front and rear mounted for less than $250 for the pair out the door.

My XX came with Dunslops 205's in 2002. :icon_lol:

Think I got on some BT016's right now, or something like that.

I have only rode 15 miles in the past 4 or 5 months :icon_eek: Between hunting season, rain, rain, and more fucking rain. I have only taken her out to get inspected. Was 30 deg that day. made my nipples pokey though.. :icon_wink:

I had Battle axe somethings on mine in 97 when I bought it.....shit tyres..... Used the shinkos never had a problem with them, now got the PR 2's also okay.

Got two so far!

Good job Pete!

I prefer white walls!!

09_genuine_buddy_35.jpg

Soooooo.......Is "Buddy" your secret name when you go to the gay bars? :icon_biggrin:

And being on the back or "butt" of the bike below the seat, it means "Butt Buddy" :icon_biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
Pilot road 2's

yep top rated in mileage and rain..

PR2's for me too.

Do either of you find that once you get about 2k miles on the Pilot Road 2's that they get a little greasy and lose some traction? I am shoppig tires now and want to switch from the Contiforce Max tires that were on it when I bought it last year. I replaced them with a BRAND NEW SET of Contiforce Max's before going on my first trip.

On that one single small trip I left from Baltimore MD to go to Deal's gap in Tennessee, then over to the eastern shore of North Ccarolina to visit family and then back home to Baltimore. Total of about 2400 to 2500 miles after joyriding too and my tires were shot and I needed another new set.

I am not sure if my expectations are a little off or not because I also own and ride a goldwing. I ride somewhat aggressive but not super hard core and so I am trying to get more miles out of my tires. I rear Pilot Road 2 CT's are the way to go. Any help??

Joe in Baltimore

post-40282-1266514273.jpg

Do either of you find that once you get about 2k miles on the Pilot Road 2's that they get a little greasy and lose some traction?

Not been my experience so far...FWIW

For my money, the Roadsmarts and Angels are the best I have used recently. I prefer them to the PR2's for my riding.

The Angels will be my next set.

I replaced my PR2's for Roadsmarts and found the Roadsmarts don't last near as long as the PR2's and don't hook up as well as the PR2's but turn in more nutal and hold a line ........ until you roll on the throttle then it's all over the place, for me anyway.

Pilot road 2's

yep top rated in mileage and rain..

PR2's for me too.

Do either of you find that once you get about 2k miles on the Pilot Road 2's that they get a little greasy and lose some traction? I am shoppig tires now and want to switch from the Contiforce Max tires that were on it when I bought it last year. I replaced them with a BRAND NEW SET of Contiforce Max's before going on my first trip.

I have PR2s on my XX at the moment - the back tire gets loose when its cold and you power out of bends - next set I get will be Metzeler Z6 as they were fantastic right to the end. The only criticism I have of the Z6 was that the time/distance from wear bars showing to cords exposed was VERY small. Still got 10k miles out of the back tho, and the front didn't cup at all.

The PR2 has been a disappointment in some ways - loses pressure regularly (have had it checked a couple times for leaks, and have replaced the valve and the valve stem twice too) although the wear has been fine - have done 8k miles so far and it looks good for maybe anothr 4k. The front is cupped to hell due to the rough road surfaces we have on the freeways here. to the point where the bars shake at low speeds. I have a spare Pirelli that I'll put on till I get the set of Z6 to take care of that issue.