CBR1100XX.org Forum

Any way to see battery voltage while riding?

silverbird1100

You can ride with Pete (PlasticXXhead.) He can HEAR the battery dying... at least on Joe's bike at PRIXXT!

Or, you can wire in a datel meter and stick it onto your triple clamp. There are a lot of folks who have them.

If you're going to leave it on the bike, make sure you get a waterproof one. The data strip one they sell at Aerostitch isn't waterproof, but works out fine for some folks.

I crudely connected a DATEL to the battery directly - and I turn it on only when riding. Nice info to have at all times.

Anyone have a better way to see the output than "stuck to the triple clamp"? I was thinking of cutting a hole in the plastic, but haven't found a great-visibility location. Suggestions?

Mike

I put a simple analog Borg Warner Voltmeter in the fairing panel on the right side, and wired it thru a $10.00 relay from Radio Shack that picks up only when running. Not waterproof, but haven't had any problems to date even when it gets full of water occasionally.

Bill

+1 on the Datel. Mounted mine on top of the instrument cluster next to the radar detector:

post-3573-1219725389.jpg

You do realize that you can use that detector as a voltmeter?

Had the Datel first - but also like the bigger readout.

+1 on the Datel. Mounted mine on top of the instrument cluster next to the radar detector:

post-3573-1219725389.jpg

So where did you mount the coffee maker?

;)

post-3573-1219725389.jpg

You do realize that you can use that detector as a voltmeter?

Had the Datel first - but also like the bigger readout.

post-3573-1219725389.jpg

So where did you mount the coffee maker?

;)

Dammit, he never even offered me a cup!

That's great but i am sure there is a smaller led to display voltage, i am working on finding a low voltage sensor that has a light, that's enough for me. Just something to alert me that i am not charging.

Jet

I use an i4c gauge that draws hardly any current. I've had no problem in 2 years with it. It's not lit, but I can still read it at night with low light conditions. I velcroed it below the instrument panel as you can see. It's waterproof. I actually have a new spare one that's just been sitting around, if you want it. $48 shipped. I bought an extra one for a future bike that hasn't been bought.

post-2854-1220703931.jpg