CBR1100XX.org Forum

how do i clean the oily crap off the chain and rear sprocket?!

Echo

I have been trying to clean the chain and rear sprocket but have to work like hell for every inch. is there a solvent or a magic brush that I don't know about? im using a rag. nothing else. the crap seems to be made of sand/dirt and chain lube. help!

I have been trying to clean the chain and rear sprocket but have to work like hell for every inch. is there a solvent or a magic brush that I don't know about? im using a rag. nothing else. the crap seems to be made of sand/dirt and chain lube. help!

I used brake cleaner and a wire brush once. Was told that the brake cleaner will fuck up the O-rings if you don't lube it after you clean it. But for me....worked like a charm.

I used some leftover Coleman fuel. As soon as it touched the crap on the side plates it just fell away. I would caution against soaking the o-rings. Be sure to relube the chain as soon as you are done.

Kerosine and old T-shirts cut into rags.

Perfectly safe. Works fast. I store the rags in an old trashed skillet w/lid so there is no fire risk when they are stored.

On the road (for long trips), I carry a small container with Kerosine and a jar with a rag you can keep sealed.

The biggest concern with cleaning the chain is damaging the o-rings. I have always used WD40 its good on the ole orings and for a lube after I clean the chain is bel ray super clean chain lube its a white lithium grease I beleive. Also be sure to clean your sprockets, chain slider on swingarm, and remove your front sprocket cover and clean that out. No since cleaning the chain if its just going to run right through all that dirt again and fuck up the chain....

I use CRC SP350 store and lube as lube.

It cleans all dirt of and lubes the chain.

But I have to lube more often. About every 500 KM or 300 miles

And the chain lasts longer. About 45 000 km or 27 000 miles.

I check the chain regularly, and adjust it one or twice a year.

http://www.labsafety.com/search/CRC/21653/...&type=brand

TECHNICAL DATA

Before i got the pro-oiler I used CRC electronic cleaner, then lubed. The electronic cleaner is good it cleans out all the shit, crap and corruption then dries up and no harm done. A can a clean at 2 bucks a can.

I'll use kerosene on the chain if it's really hideous. I take it off and wipe /scrub the sides really well.

As for the rest of that area, I use that white cold gelly type stuff that they sell in the automotive area to clean your hands. it doesn't have any pumus (sp?) or anything in it and it works very very very well for cutting through the grease. Requires a brush.

NO WD-40..... EVER !

Kerosene,

Diesel,

motor oil,

Automatic tranny fluid,

etc.

But No Solvents or Liquid wrench type fluids... ever.... especially Brake cleaner.... just one application and your O-rings will never be the same again

As for Lube... I'm back to using just 80-90W, and if you us enough of it... your chain stays clean, imagine that.

I have used WD-40, but you spray it on a cloth, then wipe it over, not spray on the chain. Either that or el-cheapo spray degreaser that you then gently hose off. With for the chain to dry then relube. In the interim until the pro oiler gets it adequately covered, I have used, (once), G-96...

I bought myself a Kettenmax chain cleaner which I used with Kero and it did a great job of cleaning the chain a couple of months ago then I just wiped the excess crap off with a rag while slowly spinning the wheel :icon_surprised:

I have only cleaned the chain the once in 38 000km :icon_eek: I used to just use Little tubes of Castrol chain lube as I got about 20 odd from the guy I bought the bike off but lately have been using Penetrene on the chain to loosen the links then normal motor oil and it works OK for a while but I am due for a new chain and sprockets and will put on a Scottoiler before I change them :icon_think: