CBR1100XX.org Forum

Braided brake lines - complete LBS system

Warp11XX

Is there a manufacturer that has the full system of braided lines to directly replace ALL of the brake line components on an '03 model Bird while keeping the LBS functional as designed? Any idea of cost? If not off the shelf, is there a manufacturer that would take all the OEM lines as a guide template and fab a set up as replacements for the full system?

Is there a manufacturer that has the full system of braided lines to directly replace ALL of the brake line components on an '03 model Bird while keeping the LBS functional as designed? Any idea of cost? If not off the shelf, is there a manufacturer that would take all the OEM lines as a guide template and fab a set up as replacements for the full system?

I'm pretty sure that HEL has such a kit, and I've been interested in exploring that, but I've been too lazy (and poor) to pursue it further. IIRC, though, Spiegler offers something similarly complete, but its lines also replace the metal brake tubing that the OEM lines connect to, while the HEL is pretty much the fullest replication of the OEM system, but with braided SS lines. At one point not too long ago, I think Warchild was considering an HEL group buy, but it never happened.

I'll be interested to know if anyone has more reliable info, though I'm sure I can't afford the $450 or so that the HEL kit is likely to cost. Would also be interested to know how much longer the lines need to be to accommodate VFR bars -- another item I'd probably spring for if I was going to go full hog with this kind of mod.

Speigler does offer a full kit, but it replaces even the factory hard lines, which is counter-productive, in my opinion. Why yank out all those nice, factory formed and well mouted hard lines only to replace them with braided lines that have to be zip-tied, taped and otherwise secured to avoid chaffing? It's not like the OEM hard lines are expanding much, is it? Pointless PITA.

Hel does offer a kit that replaces the rubber lines only, available here.

Not cheap, you actually guessed low, Rich. 11 freakin' lines, delinking is way cheaper....

I have the Speiglers and it is a complete pain in the ass to install, and as Redbird said you have to watch for fit and chaffing of the lines. The HEL kit sounds much better. If I had it to do again I would just do the front lines.

I installed a complete Spiegler kit about a year or so ago on my '03. It really wasn't that difficult to do and there was little need to Zip tie the lines to the frame rails as the lines pretty much slipped into some of the original brake line clips on the frame, IIRC. I do concur that if I would have known about HEL kits being available at the time, I would have purchased one. I have installed both brands on other bikes that I own. Both companies make a good product, but, I would give the nod to HEL for this application. You can always add a couple of inches to your brake and clutch master cylinder hoses when you place your order, to allow for any future riser kit that you plan on installing. A couple of extra inches of hose will definitly not create any interference problems or bar hangups. ..............................(OK, how about that for an opening)! :icon_evilgrin:

I have the Speiglers and it is a complete pain in the ass to install, and as Redbird said you have to watch for fit and chaffing of the lines. The HEL kit sounds much better. If I had it to do again I would just do the front lines.

Warchild has organised a GB on cbrxx.com for Galfer brake/clutch lines (for any make bike), Galfer Wave rotors and HH pads but it ends today and the kit is only for 2 front lines, you can also get a rear line or clutch lines seperately :icon_think:

What are peoples thoughts on just doing the fronts?

Worth it or better to save up and do the whole HEL kit ($720AUD + s&h :icon_eek: )

Warchild has organised a GB on cbrxx.com for Galfer brake/clutch lines (for any make bike), Galfer Wave rotors and HH pads but it ends today and the kit is only for 2 front lines, you can also get a rear line or clutch lines seperately :icon_think:

What are peoples thoughts on just doing the fronts?

Worth it or better to save up and do the whole HEL kit ($720AUD + s&h :icon_eek: )

I bought my bike with just SS front lines - love it! Never saw the need to do the rears - I rarely touch the rear brake anyway; they just get whatever the LBS gives 'em...

The WC GB I was referring to was something he mentioned around Feb. 07, and I'm pretty sure he speculated that he might be able to get them offered for under $500. I still have a pm on another board with someone in which we were discussing it as we waited for it to hatch. Don't know what happened, but I never heard any more on it.

I had some Galfer lines -- front brakes and clutch, but sold them before I installed them, since I decided that if I did the lines, I'd go with either Spiegler or HEL and do the whole system. IF I ever decide to throw that much more money into my '03, it'll be on HEL, and probably only if I resolve that I'll either die with the XX or crash it rather than ever sell it. God knows that I already can't get outta it what I have in it, even if I sell off all the farkles.

It'd be easier to keep it if it didn't cost me twice what my other two bikes cost together in annual insurance premiums. :icon_rolleyes:

Goodgridge also do a full 11 line kit in braided steel. I had one fitted to my '98. Works very well. Takes all the squish out of the lever & pedal. I got them locally about 8 or 9 years ago for $600AUD at the time.

I've got Chris's used HEL lines sitting in my shop waiting to be installed. I have to order some bushings for them before install. I will let you know, and you can see them in Marlinton. They will be the bright blue things on my bike. I just could not justify the new ones. I am po'

Hel does offer a kit that replaces the rubber lines only, available here.

Exactly what I was looking for.... :icon_biggrin:

Thanks! :icon_thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Make your own with Russell braided line and fittings. I did all of my own after delinking and installing the Gilles VarioBars. Cost me about 150.00 to do 2 fronts/ 1 clutch and 2 rears.

You wouldn't happen to have a parts list would you?

Make your own with Russell braided line and fittings. I did all of my own after delinking and installing the Gilles VarioBars. Cost me about 150.00 to do 2 fronts/ 1 clutch and 2 rears.

You wouldn't happen to have a parts list would you?

http://www.russellperformance.com/motorcycle/b-pro1.shtml

This page shows the line itself. Click on the link to "View Fittings" for the 10mm banjo's .

I bought this thru Power Sports Pro, but I have a dealer discount with them.

This page shows the line itself. Click on the link to "View Fittings" for the 10mm banjo's .

Thanks Porter. Another question I had was regarding the banjo bolt for the MC - It would appear that a longer one would be needed if you are adding an extra banjo up at the MC. Is that correct? If so, can you help out with what you ordered? Possibly a part number?

Thanks again and sorry for the hijack everyone...

Thanks Porter. Another question I had was regarding the banjo bolt for the MC - It would appear that a longer one would be needed if you are adding an extra banjo up at the MC. Is that correct? If so, can you help out with what you ordered? Possibly a part number?

Thanks again and sorry for the hijack everyone...

I do not have the part # anymore. I delinked mine and had extra double banjo bolts left over from that and used them for the front MC. Russell may offer those as well. If not , let me know and I'll check my stash to see if there is a spare.

I never saw the point.

The front lines are 80%+ of your braking power and i was able to replace those in an afternoon, a very short afternoon.

Why spend 4 times the prices put int 10 times more effort only to decrease 20% of the line expansion on the bike?

Converting the front lines to SS was a drastic improvement. Very nice!

Why spend 4 times the prices put int 10 times more effort only to decrease 20% of the line expansion on the bike?

20% is 20%...I'll take it :icon_biggrin: . And just the bling factor alone is damn near priceless... :icon_hump:

Because it makes the rear feel so much better as well. Especially since there are longer rubber lines there. Very effective for when you use the pedal a lot in traffic and commuting. Not so necessary if you only ride the twisties on the weekends.

I've sold all major brands of braking lines, and the Hel are far best. Yes, they are expensive, but much better than all the others. SS Banjo's, they will turn in the lines with alittle force, and the clear covers are pressed into the banjo-holders so no water can creep inside them.

For VFR-bars (or others) you need to order the top-lines 4cm or 1.5 Inch longer. They will know what you mean if you order that.

I've sold all major brands of braking lines, and the Hel are far best. Yes, they are expensive, but much better than all the others. SS Banjo's, they will turn in the lines with alittle force, and the clear covers are pressed into the banjo-holders so no water can creep inside them.

For VFR-bars (or others) you need to order the top-lines 4cm or 1.5 Inch longer. They will know what you mean if you order that.

Thanks Helvet! :icon_biggrin: Good info to know...will save me a hassle.

• 3 months later...

Bump.... :icon_biggrin:

I'm actually ready to do this and my luck is yet again very consistant... :icon_rolleyes: The telephone numbers listed on the HEL site are not working....one is giving the disconnected or no longer in service message and the other is giving a constant fast busy signal. Dammit!

Looking for suggestions on ordering HEL full replacement LBS 11 line kit modified for VFR bars installed on the XX, a clutch line kit, and a set of EBC HH pads.

Somebody point me the way to go before she finds out I have money for this squirreled away... :icon_whistle::icon_twisted:

• 1 year later...