CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rode on new 45/46's sat.!!!!!

Pete in PA

My pressures have been 37-38 in the rear and 36-37 front. I think that higher isn't always better. I know with car tires at some point higher pressure results in more center wear. I don't know if this is true with bike tires.

Here's something to think about...maybe with higher pressures you get more slippage under high loads, which wears more than simply having lower pressures? I don't KNOW this to be true, but think it's a reasonable theory. My contact at Avon says he runs his own at about 36/38.

I don't do burnouts, but I do wheelie a lot. I've got edge-to-edge wear but I also commute a lot and do long touring rides, so the center is worn much more. At 7650 miles now, the center barely has a hint of groove left. This is more worn than I normally take a tire, but I couldn't find one on the road. Seems fine though, no sign of any issues. I know I've seen people ride them to the cords, so I guess it's safe unless it rains.

I'm planning on about a 300 mile day this sunday the 22nd. I'll drop the rear to 38 and see how it looks during the ride.

PETE IN PA, WE'LL BE RIDING RTE. 125 UP TO WHERE IT MEETS RTE.61, THEN TAKE 487 N UP INTO BLOOMSBURG THEN RUN 80 E. TO RTE.339 S. INTO MAHANOY CITY. IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.

With the Avons I don't like dropping the pressure below 38F/40R as there are many bumpy roads around and the added feedback goes into upsetting the - still stock - fork. I am going to make a move on the suspension soon as it is starting to seriously bother me.

Also on the wear thing: I've been using - a lot - engine brake as a workaround for the LBS which should account for some added wear. Should I add, that I am - sometimes - as smooth as a brick with the throttle :grin:

Hugo

That reminds me. On the ride I noticed just what a HUGE difference the re-valving makes. The XX behind me was stock, and his headlight was really annoying bouncing all over the place like crazy. Mine was rock steady.

I bet the different in tyre wear is riding style. The time where you do most wear to a tyre is on acceleration. If you're dropping a couple of cogs and nailing the throttle to pass cars, or you're accelerating really hard out of corners you'll chew the tyres to bits very, very quickly. OTOH, if you are really smooth and use higher corner speeds, more angle, but less throttle on exit, you'll get far greater mileage. My road riding is really smooth - very little big fistfulls of throttle, lots of interstate travel, and I always get big mileage from my tyres. The D208GPs on my mille I got almost 4500 miles out of them, riding really hard through the twisties. Most others on the same bike and tyre are lucky to get 2000mi.

I always thought it was heat (besides hard acceleration) that made tires wear faster. I have also thought of the too high tire press. wearing the middle faster.

I'm going to drop rear to 38 also, WTH tire about dead anyway.

Front at 4/32nds, was 6/32nds new. I think I'll drop it too.

Absolutely no cupping though. :grin:

I'm one tooth down on the countershaft. I like to pass WFO and accelerate hard any chance I get, as well as riding around on one wheel whenever possible. However, when riding fast around corners, I don't know how hard I'm riding out of corners. I mean, I like the acceleration a lot, but I try to be very smooth and trade the cornering/lean for acceleration slowly as I straighten up.

I do know that road surface makes a big difference too.

I love these tires! Very neutral, light steering. They are great at absorbing bumps while vertical and horizontal.

I just hope they wear/last as good as the hype says and no front cupping.

btw. 40 F 42 R

There is no replacement for displacement.

98 XX 35k miles and rolling!!!

97 XR 650 L 6k miles

Agreed :cool: