CBR1100XX.org Forum

speaking of chains

XX

had to tighten my chain the past 2 weekends. ride about 750 miles per week. rode to work and back today and my chain is loose again.

not real loose, but not the spec i like to have it at.

is this a sign that she's going bye bye rapidly? chain's got 28k on it, mostly commuting.... and i just ordered a new one from kneedraggers.com ....

how much longer do i have? :???:

8 miles eh? lol....

i changed to a 16t front sprocket at about 13-15k, can't remember exactly, but have another 16t ready to go when i get the chain....

unfortunately i'm stranded with only motorsickle transport for the next 300 miles :shock: ... guess i better get up early to have mellow traffic to ride in vs warfare traffic ....

is 9k miles what i should expect from my new ZVM DID X 530 whatever chain i just ordered for $128?????

yeh, i can really hear mine, noticed last weekend. getting rid of the old CCT cleared out some noise as well to let me hear how bad the chain was....

is 9k miles what i should expect from my new ZVM DID X 530 whatever chain i just ordered for $128?????

No no no, 9K is what I got out of the VM. I wanted the ZVM, but it was backordered, and I needed one right away. So, I got the VM. It was only rated for up to 1000cc's. The ZVM is the one to get.

Your rant is well justified. I've always thought the displacement rating of a chain was total bullshit.

I got in a hurry going to Cody this year and bought the VM.

Sorry I did. 7k and it's on it's way out. Will buy the ZVM next time.

I think the Cody and Northwest riding bunch made me use more throttle than the chain was designed for. It's all their fault.

They should all pitch in and get me a new chain for Christmas.

Just dropping a few hints guys. Later, Cal

Nice rant, I have to agree. But don't get me started on another consumer rant...

chain's got 28k on it

:shock: You're plain out of chain karma there. In fact, in your next lifetime you're going to come back as an abused motorcycle chain.

I think the average life for the 530ZVM is around 17-20k. I've gone 21k, and it was thoroughly shagged, and also replaced one at 18 before it really had to be replaced (but was tired of the noise and surging). I think I'm at 15k on a VM (ZVM out of stock, got a great discount), and it's time. The indicator marks don't say it is stretched, but it's got tight spots and surges.

got mine at kneedraggers.com - dont' want to know if i could get it cheaper cuz obviously i need it :shock:

working hard right now to make the change this week.....

What type of sprocket do you recommend.

Stock rear. Don't bother replacing it with your first chain replacement; it will easily do double that. For the front I use an AFAM 16 tooth. For stock teeth, use the stock sprocket.

OK....I got a DID gold chain. I was told it is rated for 1100cc's and under. I have about 4500 on it now and no problems so far. (Although people tell me it is a bit loud when they are riding next to me)But....people were so worried (including myself) that I was in danger because the chain wasn't to spec....So I quickly bought a RK XW ring chain. It is the GB530GXW chain. It has the gold links that I wanted, and it is a heavy duty, long life chain. I will run the DID gold until the end of the season and then get my new chain and tires put on..DONE !

Dave

Okay, rant mode on..................

How the FUCK can a manufacturer rate a chain....."for motorcycles larger than.....or smaller than.....1000cc?"

OK....I got a DID gold chain.  I was told it is rated for 1100cc's and under.  

Oh fuck... here we go again... <<looking for cover...>> :poke: :lol:

/quote]I think the average life for the 530ZVM is around 17-20k. I've gone 21k, and it was thoroughly shagged, and also replaced one at 18 before it really had to be replaced (but was tired of the noise and surging). I think I'm at 15k on a VM (ZVM out of stock, got a great discount), and it's time. The indicator marks don't say it is stretched, but it's got tight spots and surges.

So I should reconsider doing my SS1000 on Friday. The bike has 20K on it and I'm pretty sure it's still the stock chain and sprockets. :sad:

on the other hand.....what's another 1k? I'm no chain expert but I'd have to think that most of the wear on a chain occurs with a change in tension.....accelerating or decel. IF you're running on the highway and not whacking it all the time.....staying steady....then why not?

(...assuming that your chain still meets all of the standard criteria...)

I'll look at it closely tonight as well as the front sprocket. If things don't look real bad I'll just ride like hell. If it looks questionable I'll give some thought to delaying the ride for a week. I spent the past 2 weeks getting everything (except the driveline) ready to go now I'm stressing out over the first thing I should have addressed. I've been watching the wear indicators on the rear and I'm almost 2/3 of the way there according to those but I've never looked at the front sprocket.

don't let my poor example sway you, BUT i've inadvertantly ridden 8k miles on my stock chain with my 16T front sprocket, prolly 50% splitting lanes on and off the throttle.... no wheelies though :wink:

but it would suck to get stranded anywheres!

Just finished checking out the drive line. At 20K the rear sprocket looks great, the front looks just as good (I wish I could compare it to a new one though). Chain has a few tight spots. The wear indicator is just barely past the halfway mark in the green with the chain adjusted on the tighter side of the spec. The tight spots in the chain appear to equate to about 1/4" less play when on the center stand. I ran it through the gears at idle while on the centerstand and nothing concerned me as it was all pretty smooth. I'm pretty sure that everything is still original but there is no way for me to be sure. So with that said I'm gonna rip up the Nevada desert on Friday. I'll try to get a pic of my buddy and I in front of the Whore House in Fallon (the 1/2 way point) and I'll post it if any of you are interested. :bike: