CBR1100XX.org Forum

To paint or not to paint

TitaniumBird

I've got a few scuffs, dings, scratches from the last 7 years of abuse on my 00. I'm thinking about a total repaint and doing a little custom work.

I'm thinking about anti-decal, nothing to indicate what it is and going with the same color (titanium) only throwing some ghost flames in a slightly tinted darker version of the same color. Anyone seen anything like this, sound cheesey? Goes without saying "use flex additive in the paint. Consider the corbine bags with paint scheme ideas.

Second question is, is it a bitch to get "all" the body work off the bike? Meaning, is the front upper a pain in the ass, that's the only piece I've never taken off.

I've got a few scuffs, dings, scratches from the last 7 years of abuse on my 00. I'm thinking about a total repaint and doing a little custom work.

I'm thinking about anti-decal, nothing to indicate what it is and going with the same color (titanium) only throwing some ghost flames in a slightly tinted darker version of the same color. Anyone seen anything like this, sound cheesey? Goes without saying "use flex additive in the paint. Consider the corbine bags with paint scheme ideas.

Second question is, is it a bitch to get "all" the body work off the bike? Meaning, is the front upper a pain in the ass, that's the only piece I've never taken off.

Easy to take off....and if you don't fuck with the wires and shit....easy to put back on.

One out of place wire...and it was difficult for me.

IMO

No need to add flex additive."Stock" paints are flexiable enough.

XX bodywork is easy to dis/assamble,the onle wires involved are turn signals and headlight if I remember right.

Push pins in lower part of the fairing might give you a trouble,after 7 years ther might be some dirt,etc,most likely you`ll ne some replacements.

The only place that has paint formulas for bikes is Color Rite.They charge arm and leg,and paint quality is not so great.

It is better/cheaper to pick up a color from a car,any paint schop/good body shop will be able to mix it for much,much less.

When I had the topbox paint the scanner came up with a Subaru color that is a perfet match for the ti birds. I'll see if I can find the left over.

Painting your bike this close to the start of the riding season may not be in your best intrest. What I have learned from over the years of restoring cars and bikes paint/body shops are (believe it or not ) even worse then general contractors with being on schedule. Also Color Rite gets a premium for their product and there is nothing premium about it at all. The color matches are close but not perfect and the durability is a bit off. I have been pleased with the Sikkens and the PPG product........

• 3 months later...

This fall is going to be the time for this, anyone able to come up with the code for 00 Titanium? Preferred PPG

Now I just have to find a shop that'll do it.

I took the code off my subframe to a ppg rep, color matched perfectly for some spot jobs. Used black primer, black blackbird ppg base and house of kolor clear for a thick clearcoat that needed no wet sanding after application. About 2 days drying time and I put the pieces back on. When I do a complete reshoot, going for the same combo.

I painted in my garage with a makeshift booth and a 20" box fan, covered with a hepa filter. Don't skimp on the respirator and wear sealing goggles (I hear the chemicals can absorb into your eyes).

Or pay someone else to do it, whatever floats your boat.

I did mine in the "stealth" look you are talking about. No decals or badges, black stock pipes. I love it.

It looks like you wre having an interesting photo day. Got any more pics of your friends to post??

I did mine in the "stealth" look you are talking about. No decals or badges, black stock pipes. I love it.

It looks like you were having an interesting photo day. Got any more pics of your friends to post??

No, I ran out of film just as the impromptu photo shoot was getting good. There is another shoot planned for later this weekend though. I'll keep you guys posted.

Good way to make your Bird "ugly". I'd be more interested in close ups of the paint job.

What, exactly, is a good way to make my Bird "ugly?" :icon_scratchhead: