CBR1100XX.org Forum

How many miles do you get out of your tires?

Aurora

avon's rule. 11000+ miles out of the rear and more out of the front. i may go weeks before seeing a turn, but my riding is all 85+ mph commutes, and i don't waste any time getting up to speed either.

ran metzlers on my fjr (cause it came with them) and i didn't like them. wore poorly, and it was like 100 miles between having wear left, to being on the wear bars to showing cords. scary. the avons wear much longer, but i've never had any issues with losing traction and they are awesome in the rain.

bridgestone front (as well as metzlers) wear down like a triangle on the front tire because the sides are softer than the center of the tread. makes for weird turn characteristics. avons always wear evenly on the front tire.

just my $0.02

-bret

I'm getting some good mileage out of the Avons also. Currently have 7000 on a set, and don't think I'll have any trouble getting 10,000 out of the rear. I live in the flatlands (Kansas), and average around 80mph on the highway. This is without a burnout or hammering it at every stoplight.

Since I don't have many curves to carve, I can't compare to the Dunlops I had before, but I will probably be getting another set of Avons this winter.

Still on the OEM Bridgestone BT57 Battlax front and rear. 7800 miles so far. After reading opinions on tires here and other forums, I will either stick with Bridgestone or go Michelin.

IPB Image

D208's ( which by the way Dunlop does not make anymore) I was getting 7k out of the rear and 13k out of the front. I am thinking about switching to the pilots next year after the D208 wear out

Dunlop D 208 rears consistently around 3K (spent tire) and the fronts again consistently around 3K as well but only due to scalloping. Have since moved to Pilot powers front and back and as a result to the way they adhere to the road I don’t even care about the mileage that I obtain from them as they work so well at any temperature on just about any road condition.

Somewhere between 5000 & 6000 on Metzler Z6's. I'm trying a different tire this time around and like the combination so far. Michelin Pilot Power front and Road rear. I've put a couple of thousand miles on them and am very happy with their performance.

Is the tread wear even between the front and rear tire? Or is the front wearing faster (being a soft compound) than the rear? Any handling issue running the two different tires? How do the feel in the rain? :icon_cool:

Like has been mentioned in a later post, too early to tell on the issue of wear. Riding in the rain seems very predictable, but I have a tendency to ride very conservative in the rain. Easy in the corners, 70 or 80 mph in the straights. Just like your above average Harley rider on a sunny day.

8.5K out of my PR rear.

Another 1K out of the front.

Best mileage tire for me so far.

Goodbye Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Metzler's. :icon_wave:

Haven't Tried the Avon, Pirelli, or Conti's yet.

These are my rear tire mileages:

Current, Pirelli Strada 4k miles and bald.

Contiforce 3800 miles to cord.

B'stone 57 4650 miles till cord. (thought Id try it once more for mileage)

Conti. Road Attack 4438 miles till cord.

B'stone 020 (FJR specific tire) 4400 miles to bald.

Metzeler Z6 4174 miles to cord. ( This tells me it will be identical in mileage to the Pirelli Strada)

I ride hard, but not THAT hard. :icon_confused:

Quit avoiding the Pilot Roads and give us a report. :icon_wink:

I've been running Power up front and Road in the rear. 7+K miles on the rear and it's about change time. Front may have 2k left.

I just ordered a set of Roads front and rear this time as I lost the front wheel on a wet tar-snake awhile back and have been blaming it on the Pilot Power. (couldn't have been that I was speeding, leaned over and raining).

Which is a better wet tire Power or Road? Michelin site gives both a 5 rating, as excellent. Is one still better then the other wet??

I remember reading somewhere that the road diplaces much more water that the power. I don't remember the stats but it was substantially more.

Looking at the tread patterns it would make sense that the roads could channel water more effectively.

In standing water I would bet the road is much better.

I've been running Power up front and Road in the rear. 7+K miles on the rear and it's about change time. Front may have 2k left.

I just ordered a set of Roads front and rear this time as I lost the front wheel on a wet tar-snake awhile back and have been blaming it on the Pilot Power. (couldn't have been that I was speeding, leaned over and raining).

Which is a better wet tire Power or Road? Michelin site gives both a 5 rating, as excellent. Is one still better then the other wet??

Having had both, I've found the powers to be better in the rain... I too have lost the front end on tar snakes, leaned over in the rain, but it's happened with both tires... tar snakes are slick as ice around here (it's not so bad where they put sand in them, but they don't do that much around here)... the powers do better on concrete in the rain though, for sure, which is the only other time I've lost the front end on the Roads... it has always come back though with both tires...

Mike

The Michelin site says the Roads have better comfort. What does that mean? Softer sidewall?

Not surprised to see they say Powers gip better dry, same wet, with less durability then the Roads.

They also say the Powers are more expensive. SWMOTOTIRES sell the Powers for $2 less a set.

I guess if you don't mind @ 20% less mileage the Powers are a better choice wet or dry. (so why did I just buy a set of Roads). :icon_eh:

ST1300 = 12,000 miles or more.

Harley = 20,000

it's amazing the mileage you can get when you have the bike on a trailer :icon_whistle:

Metzler M-1 3k rear

6k frnt

Love the stickum of the M-1 Rear, but, can burn up 2 of them a summer. Now going with the Z6 rear/ M-1 Front, so far the Z6 rear has been working well, no concerns, hoping to get at least 4k out of it....time will tell

Edit> I got 11500k (7200miles) out of my oem Macadam 90 Rear, that came on my 01.

The Michelin site says the Roads have better comfort. What does that mean? Softer sidewall?

Not surprised to see they say Powers gip better dry, same wet, with less durability then the Roads.

They also say the Powers are more expensive. SWMOTOTIRES sell the Powers for $2 less a set.

I guess if you don't mind @ 20% less mileage the Powers are a better choice wet or dry. (so why did I just buy a set of Roads). :icon_eh:

I don't notice a difference in comfort between roads and powers... if anything, the powers have a slightly softer carcas, so they soak up bumbs better...

Mike