CBR1100XX.org Forum

Time to get moving on the spring order

SwampNut

What weight spring?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• 16.65 (middle ground)

My problem was also on the current stock spring the preload was too much for single rider, 170#, so I am wondering if the the CBR900 adjustments will allow me to reduce the preload to comfortable level for one up, I find two up to be just fine.

Also do you know if you can get access for the C-wrench to make on-board preload adjustments with the 900 shock installed on the bird.

Thanks

TC

Okay I bought my shock, I was hanging out for a nice one, hope it works as well as it looks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2433355272

Count me in and based on my experience of similar style shock on CBR600 with my beefy bro on the back even at max setting it bottomed out. So I'll go for heaviest spring too, but I'm still a little anxious that I may not be able to get preload unloaded enough to stop the back battering ram effect :cry: I had on stock bird spring before I wound off preload. (preload had been increased by original owner).

But nothing to lose I'm sure the resell wil cover my investment, so let me know when where to send the cash, count me in............

if this helps great if not , i tried!!

i have a cbr900 shock , with a maxton spring which has a rating of 16.5.

i weigh 165lbs roughly and the preload is set to click number 3, with no luggage, suits me fine. Think the spring cost me about £56.

downside is in is in purple!!.

all the best

of course try here

http://www.esling.btinternet.co.uk/maxton/

i called them told them i needed an uprated spring for a fireblade 1995 model and they asked a few weight questions etc.

I told them i wanted a 16.5 rate spring , she called me back and said their expert agreed on the rate and they could make the spring.

I think they can make any spring rate you want, but am not sure sure , best to call them.

all the best

Think the spring cost me about £56.

92 dollars maybe I could bring back a load, well maybe 10 springs would cover the interested parties here and allow for individual selection.

I wrote to Maxton and asked them about a deal what they could offer, and if they would cater to individual spring rates as part of that deal, I forgot to ask if they did other colours than purple. I have a corbin seat with purple trim nice rde but hate that trim.

I'm not particular about the color, but want a 16.8 or 17.0 spring, as I've encountered a lot of bottoming out as of late.

Have to keep the compression dialed up to compensate, which makes for a harsh ride............ :sad:

Northman can you educate me on spring rates, if the spring is stiffer doesnt that make for equally harsh ride, similar to effect increasing compression?

I suppose with increased compression you have reduced travel distance on the shock, equally stiff spring with lot of travel will be more comfortable than a compressed spring resulting in similar stiffness but with little travel,

It that the situation? :idea:

A stiffer spring will be less prone to bottoming, and therefore you can use a little less damping to control the spring's compression.

With a weak spring, you need to over compensate with compression to avoid bottoming.

Over small, sharp bumps, the 16.0 spring works fine, but bottoms on heavier bumps, and hard turns, etc. when dialed right. This is where I need more spring. As it is now, with the compression dialed up, it isn't nearly as prone to bottoming on the heavier stuff, but definitely rides harsher on the smaller stuff.

The damping should control the spring, not compensate for an improper rate.

MAXTON wrote

Thanks for your enquiry, unfortunatley this year we have been unsuccessful

in obtaining product liability cover for the United States.   Whilst we have

every confidence in our product, we are also very wary of the legal system

in the U.S.  I apologise about this, we had been enjoying building up a

customer base in the U.S and dealing with your country.

I emailed again and asked about one guy buying them within the UK no questions asked about US buddies bouncing on there springs trying to get them sued over here, we'll see.........

The rest of the world fears US litigation, my Mum worked for a company making hi -tech kids wheel chairs in the UK, they could control them with eye movement or tongue depending on how impaired they were. The chairs were built by disabled people, ( a real heartbreak story, prepare)

US health companies wanted chairs for kids in US, so they agreed on a deal, it got too busy work was delayed by the disabled people they could not keep up, so one day US lawyers shut them down froze assets and they were out of business no more chairs, no more disable folks jobs just fat lawyers and sad kids!

Okay here's the news

Maxton can make the springs to whatever spring rate you want if they are not in stock production time is 1 week, they cost 55 pounds plus 17.5% VAT ( there maybe possibility of return on that although I dont have permanent US status, just non resident alien, so harder to prove, also usually have ot carry this stuff on plane if you want VAT refund at Customs to be processed.)

Total cost then including VAT (TAX) $100-

They said be-aware the spring is generic dimensions but customs spring rates, so there is a spacer for Honda shocks to allow seating of spring and correct length which is not present on original honda springs.

They sounded like good guys and helpful and if purchased in the UK would, have no worries making the sale to us.

As far as getting them back to US, what is the weight of one of these springs ? There will be a limit to my luggage weight.

Okay open for discussion, as no saving on Swapnuts springs, and not custom dimensions either, and would be easier to get them here. UK advantage is custom spring rates.

Hope this doesnt throw a spanner in the works as we were getting close to a resolution.

Yeah, ditto what Hokie said.

This process may turn out to be a pain in the ass for you, and a possible customs nightmare to get a spring that doesn't sound like it's that great.

I'm for buying it in the US, also.

Thanks for the offer, and the information, though. :grin:

Hi all,

Well, I'm new (both to the board and this thread) but I would like to get in on the deal if possible.

When it comes to the 900RR shock I have a question; when looking on eBay I have found a couple of shocks and the writeup by Carlos calls for a shock from a '93 - '95 model 900RR. Some of the shocks say that they fit all 900RRs from '93 to '99. Is that true or is there some change made to the shock in '95 that will make it unsuitable for our use? Also, some of the shocks have the top of the reservoir mounted to the hose and some have the hose mounted to the resevoir on the side via a 90 degree bend. Will it make a difference which one is used when it come to installing the shock?

Thanks,

The proper shock has the reservoir mounted to a house, and use the Showa part #'s to be sure. Some of the sellers are advertising 929 shocks as 900 shocks, etc. I've also seen 600 shocks advertised as such.

93-95 900RR's were the only ones with the same dimensions as our shocks. The newer ones are shorter, and the 929/954 shocks have the reservoir mounted piggyback to the shock, which would pose a fitment problem.

I'm ready for my spring, are we all ready to put in the order, or should we wait another month for a few more guys to buy in?

Can we have a show of hands of guys definitely purchasing a spring? I'll go first.

I'm in, definitely. :grin:

Dosx

Hey thats my actual shock in the bottom picture- its a MWO-003 for certain

I agree lots of those ebay adds say they will fit all years but the later shocks are about an inch shorter, 11 5/8 eye to eye instead of 12 5/8.

the one in the top picture says 96 on the tag

I asked the sellers to read the part numbers before bidding or offering them side deals, some of them the stickers are gone so measured the length.

I'm in for a spring here, and now if its going to be later I'll pick up a lighter spring in Uk 16.5 and have it a back up in case the 16.8 is too hard.

TC