CBR1100XX.org Forum

What kind of MPG you folks getting?

Venus97

I used my '97 mostly for commuting and trips to the Dragon a couple of times a year. The commute is almost 30 miles each way on freeway running 70mph+ with occasional bursts of throttle/speed to avoid or get out of unsafe situations.

I have no engine modifications at all. I was getting about 40-43 mpg with the stock pipes.

I recently switched to Scorpion slip ons and now I'm getting consistently 46 mpg.

Of course I did not buy the bike for high mpg reputation, but I think my mpg is very good considering its performance capabality.

What are other Bird owners getting? :icon_think:

(Now if I can just modify the suspension so the bike does not loosen my fillings, I'll be set) :icon_cool:

About 40 when being good :icon_angel:

33-35 when hell raising

I'm jetted for a Yosh. 4 into 1. Now I have Micron slipons with a factory header. I'm running a little rich, my next project is to pull the carbs clean them out and change the jetting.

it's been done, and you'll probably find more info doing a search, but I'll throw down anyway...

commuting 40 miles each way mostly highway ~75mph moving average, but some stop and go... 43mpg

running corners hard, 1-up ~40

running corners hard 2-up ~35

with luggage, ~78mph average, full to empty in one sitting, ~48mpg

I'm running a '97 with stock pipes with punched baffles, K&N filter, and a Factory Pro jet kit, plus an 18T front sprocket... but I got the same mileage with stock sprockets before the 10% ethenol gasoline as I get now with the 10% ethenol gas and the 18T front...

Mike

I just fueled up last nite, and my mileage came out to 40mpg. This is a 99 with stock exhaust and airfilter, on the hiway at about 75-80 mph average, with quite a few full throttle passes. If I ride a pretty steady 70mph, mid 40's are no problem.

You have to admit that the fuel mileage is excellent with the XX. I think if you rode a Busa or ZX14 the same way, mileage would be way down.

Randy

I'm happy to get 41 or so. I don't ride hard, mostly, but I weigh 250 right now. I also recently went up a tooth in front, and didn't get the expected increase in mileage, so that was kind of a drag.

I sure noticed a drop in mileage when I dropped a tooth. GOing to go upa tooth for the 6k trip to NEXXT. Will have to see what I get, hopefully better mileage and less stops.

I used my '97 mostly for commuting and trips to the Dragon a couple of times a year. The commute is almost 30 miles each way on freeway running 70mph+ with occasional bursts of throttle/speed to avoid or get out of unsafe situations.

I have no engine modifications at all. I was getting about 40-43 mpg with the stock pipes.

I recently switched to Scorpion slip ons and now I'm getting consistently 46 mpg.

Of course I did not buy the bike for high mpg reputation, but I think my mpg is very good considering its performance capabality.

(Now if I can just modify the suspension so the bike does not loosen my fillings, I'll be set) :icon_cool:

My last check was 43mpg, and that is just normal sane riding commuting to and from work, however if i go to guns with it 37. My pilot jets need to go into the ultrasonic cleaner also.

Jet

My last check was 43mpg, and that is just normal sane riding commuting to and from work, however if i go to guns with it 37. My pilot jets need to go into the ultrasonic cleaner also.

Jet

Just finished a 600 mile day. 500 miles of 75-120mph freeway, only once to silly speed, and 100 miles of 60 mph secondary road. Best tank was the last one with 207 miles taking 5.3 gallons. It is actually probably a bit worse though as my GPS shows my odometer to be about 1.5% optimistic. The bike had just done 3 weeks of nothing but around town trolling so it needed a bit of cleaning out. First tank 194 miles and 5.1 gallons, second tank, 194 miles 4.9 gallons adn the third as above. This is better than I had been getting and I attribute it to not using the top trunk and a 20+ lb weight loss on my part.

I could probably break into the 40's if I put new plugs in it. The current set has 32K miles on them, originals. I know my bike is rich, I can see it in the pipes (stockers). I may well try a pair of slipons in the near future as well as an 18T front.

Oh yeah, bike is an '01 that is completely stock.

OK dammit!!! 2001 model. Just rolled 6000 miles. No mods. Last 4 tanks were 32MPG, 32MPG, 33.5MPG, 32MPG. The 33.5 was with Techron cleaner. 11 miles each way to work. Never break 85 on the longest stretch of maybe 4 miles. Usually cruise at 73MPH. No stop-and-go traffic. 5 stoplights. maybe 5 stop signs. Two school zones. light throttle. shifts between 3200 and 4200 RPM. 260 manly pounds of man on the seat. When I rest my schlong on the countertop while on the scale it drops to 220 pounds. :icon_whistle: But seriously, what the hell could be wrong?!?! I wanna romp on it to get DOWN to 32MPG - not get that normally! :icon_wtf: Is it pissed at me becasue I rarely dig into it???

OK dammit!!! 2001 model. Just rolled 6000 miles. No mods. Last 4 tanks were 32MPG, 32MPG, 33.5MPG, 32MPG. The 33.5 was with Techron cleaner. 11 miles each way to work. Never break 85 on the longest stretch of maybe 4 miles. Usually cruise at 73MPH. No stop-and-go traffic. 5 stoplights. maybe 5 stop signs. Two school zones. light throttle. shifts between 3200 and 4200 RPM. 260 manly pounds of man on the seat. When I rest my schlong on the countertop while on the scale it drops to 220 pounds. :icon_whistle: But seriously, what the hell could be wrong?!?! I wanna romp on it to get DOWN to 32MPG - not get that normally! :icon_wtf: Is it pissed at me becasue I rarely dig into it???

It is not pissed, just bored.

The bike will ot do well around town and having to haul your big self around isn't helping. Mine doesn't do much better in the city. You really need to take the poor thing out for a good long ride. Mine has gotten much better as the miles have piled on. I bought it in November of last year with 13K on the clock and will turn over 33K when I get home tonight. Take a weekend and go put 1500 or so miles on the thing. It will thank you for it.

It is not pissed, just bored.

The bike will ot do well around town and having to haul your big self around isn't helping. Mine doesn't do much better in the city. You really need to take the poor thing out for a good long ride. Mine has gotten much better as the miles have piled on. I bought it in November of last year with 13K on the clock and will turn over 33K when I get home tonight. Take a weekend and go put 1500 or so miles on the thing. It will thank you for it.

Yeah, but 32-33 is really low, even for in town. When I was down a tooth in front, I got better than that. I wonder if you're down a tooth front and back or something. Maybe you've got some bad plugs. TX, I'm not much lighter than you, and the only time I've ever been that low was with these crazies in Red Bluff. If you put some road miles on it, and it's still doing that, I'd get it looked over.

You have to admit that the fuel mileage is excellent with the XX. I think if you rode a Busa or ZX14 the same way, mileage would be way down.

Randy

Now That's a bunch of Smack.... first the Fuel milage of the Bird is Good but not Excellent.... excellent would be in the high 40's and low 50 range Like a few other bikes out there. One of which you think should get worse , for whatever reason........ the Busa.... will dance around you and laugh, consistantly getting better gas mileage, now matter how you ride.

I've got a buddy with a Busa... he gets 48-50 mpg all the time.

Yeah, but 32-33 is really low, even for in town. When I was down a tooth in front, I got better than that. I wonder if you're down a tooth front and back or something. Maybe you've got some bad plugs. TX, I'm not much lighter than you, and the only time I've ever been that low was with these crazies in Red Bluff. If you put some road miles on it, and it's still doing that, I'd get it looked over.

More Smack....... My worst TANK of gas was... 23 mpg... and there was not a damn thing wrong with my Bird. It's all just a matter of how hard you ride.

I used to get 32-34 mpg in town all the time....

The biggest factor is riding style... then overall mileage...and the list goes on..

I've changed mine... with a PC and stuff.. so I'm not going to tell you what I'm getting. :icon_twisted:

PS. Your odomemter is off by about 2%, which can be easily fixxed by using a 17 / 44 Spocket setup. While your speedometer is off even further... but can be corrected useing a 18/45 setup... but this will cause your mileage to be off in the other direction.

Something interesting just happened to me in terms of fuel consumption.

I posted on Friday that I cooked the gel battery in my XX and switched to a lead/acid battery from O'Reiley auto parts. It's a lawn mower battery but was also listed for a 1000RR so it's probably OK. Any port in a storm, as the saying goes.

Anyway, the bike fired right up with the new battery and I noticed on the brief ride to the hotel, that the bike felt really crisp. Proved itself on the way home yesterday and today. Got 43 mpg at a 68 mph average on secondary roads and 40+ running an indicated 93 mph (85 GPS) down I-95 today for two tanks worth. That is 2-3 mpg better than the bike has done since I have owned it, about 20K miles.

I really don't have an explanation for this. Maybe the low resistance of the probably internally shorted battery was robbing power from the iginition system. I ain't complaining.

Yeah, Eric, but them damn Hayabusas have to take off at least 5 MPG for the fugly factor. :icon_biggrin:

True..................All except for the Special edition Black ones.... those are cool. :icon_biggrin: Because as you know... Black is the fastest color.

Something interesting just happened to me in terms of fuel consumption.

I posted on Friday that I cooked the gel battery in my XX and switched to a lead/acid battery from O'Reiley auto parts. It's a lawn mower battery but was also listed for a 1000RR so it's probably OK. Any port in a storm, as the saying goes.

Anyway, the bike fired right up with the new battery and I noticed on the brief ride to the hotel, that the bike felt really crisp. Proved itself on the way home yesterday and today. Got 43 mpg at a 68 mph average on secondary roads and 40+ running an indicated 93 mph (85 GPS) down I-95 today for two tanks worth. That is 2-3 mpg better than the bike has done since I have owned it, about 20K miles.

I really don't have an explanation for this. Maybe the low resistance of the probably internally shorted battery was robbing power from the iginition system. I ain't complaining.

So............

If that were true.... then maybe there would be more to gain from a HID headlight unit than just more light.

If less electrica draw = higher gas mileage.

Oh, its true all right.

I really don't think it was a normal electrical draw thing so much as the battery was drawing excessove current frpm tje charging circuit, robbing the ignition system. That battery was HOT. Hot as in I couldn't touch it for 20 minutes and it was still uncomfortable to the touch once I got it out of there.

That, I guess, does qualify as electrical draw and anything that reduced the electrical load should increase the available power. This was just an extreme case. Since the power to run any electrical device must come from the charging circuit, it would make sense that reducing the electrical load will decrease fuel consumption. In the case of HID vs standard lighting, I doubt you would really notice the difference.