CBR1100XX.org Forum

replacement parts (cheap)?

flyv65

Well, I just low-sided my 'Bird about 2 hours ago, and I'm looking for ther cheapest source of OEM parts to get back to standard looking before my folks come out in the middle of September (hard to believe I'm 41 and worried about upsetting them, but it's easier than fighting).

By the way, I did this on a cloverleaf by the house with alot of runout-it's one of the spots where I try to test my limits. I went in to the corner with some trailbraking, backed off and folded it over. The can decked, then the rear wheel lifted, and I held on to the right grip and followed her into the dirt. I didn't expect this to happen, as I've been told that the 'bird has the world's longest peg feelers...on the other hand, I've put on the 6mm spacer and haven't decked a peg since I've done that. I'm starting to think that I could get away with less spacer and a little more warning, so I'll be dropping back to about 3 or 4mm when I'm tidying the old girl up.

Bryan...anybody got a right exhaust can they want to let go cheap?...

It's a 2001 so here in the states its red (the fastest color). I've already checked Ron Ayers for most of the stuff. The biggest expense(s) should be the exhaust can and the lower fairing. I havewn't checked the can cost, but the lower fairing lists at $245. Anybody know if that is a color coded (painted) piece, or am I in for painting as well?

Really, there was very little damage-I tweaked the brake lever and footpeg (and I've already torched them and tweaked them back). The Jaws crash bung did its job for most of the right side, I think that since I didn't let go of the right clip-on I kept it from flipping when it hit the soft stuff. Mirror is scuffed, but paintable, and the bar weight was scuffed too, but 600 grit sandpaper and Krylon for the gas grill took care of that. I'm counting myself lucky on this one...I really barreled into the corner, and never for a second thought that I'd bottom out on the can.

By the way, I alweays ride in at least Joe Rocket GPS gloves, HJC helmet, Sidi on-road boots, and a First Gear Speed jacket. The helmet never got scratched, the gloves show no damage (same for the boots), jeans were a total write-off (right hip and side-seam), and the jacket did its job admirably...but it'll never do it again. I had all the vents open and the sand, gravel, and weeds just ripped it to shreds. I've got one small nylon burn from the lining (silver-dollar sized, on my forearm) and two small bruises on my right shoulder when I transitioned from pavement to dirt. After I get the 'bird put together again I think I'll be looking at a Roadcrafter...or leathers and a 600 for the track.

Bryan...no scars, the chicks won't dig me...

Well, I just low-sided my 'Bird about 2 hours ago, and I'm looking for ther cheapest source of OEM parts to get back to standard looking before my folks come out in the middle of September (hard to believe I'm 41 and worried about upsetting them, but it's easier than fighting).

Worried about what your folks will think. Understandable. Do what I did when I lowsided my Kawi, put a cover over it and don't mention the bird at all.

Glad you made it out alright.

Ebay or RonAyers for the parts buddy.

What kind of exhaust was on the bird. Stock? Aftermarket?

I have a stock right side muffler for a '99. I bought the set off e-bay when I needed to replace the left side. :cry: You can have it for free just pay shipping. Let me know. OK, just noticed you live nearby. I work in the Ken Carl area. I would be happy to bring the muffler into work.

It's a 2001 so here in the states its red (the fastest color).  I've already checked Ron Ayers for most of the stuff.  The biggest expense(s) should be the exhaust can and the lower fairing.  I havewn't checked the can cost, but the lower fairing lists at $245.  Anybody know if that is a color coded (painted) piece, or am I in for painting as well?

The right side lower fairing that you need is Part Number: 64460-MAT-A20ZA (the ZA designates Candy Glory Red)

That's phenomenal, Joe. I had done the books with my wife this past Tuesday and decided I couldn't even afford a used exhaust can. If you think you can part with the can for free I'll come take it off your hands for sure. Ping me at flyv65@yahoo. com and I'll hit you with my phone number, address, or however you want to contact me.

Bryan...you guys fukkin' rock... :)

I won that auction for right cowling on ebay. My bike was damaged at Sturgis hit and run assholes. Cracked the fairing and the dash on right side. :evil: :50cal: :guns: :shoot: :twak: :chainsaw: :flame: Needless to say i'm a little hot under the collar.