CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fast blinker light

joe

Guys,

I replaced my rear blinker lights with an aftermarket set to clean up the rear end. About a week ago, my left blinker started flashing at a fast rate. It went away after a while so I figured the blinker got wet (it was raining). Well, I went on a trip to Louisiana and it started happening again (left blinker only). Because I got caught in tropical strom Ericka, I figured it was because of the rain. After having ample time to dry, the problem didn't go away.

Any ideas?

Joe

Normally the fast blinking is caused by a low load, such as a burned out bulb or aftermarket lights that are low-powered (LED's or small bulbs).

Concur. The "load" controls the time constant of the blinker rate. A lower load speeds up the time constant. Clean your bulb sockets and ensure that there's no corrosion.

BigBoy,

I used to have LED turn signals on a fender eliminator kit on my ZX-9. The manufacturer warned me that they will blink very fast. If I wanted to slow them down, they said I needed to install a heavy duty relay inline with the signals. I never did because I liked the higher flashing rate for night time visibility. Ask who you bought the signals from if they have any hardware (ie: a relay) to fix your issue.

Don, I did a fix Vern recommended and I bought the resistor from Radio Shack. I posted the wiring document before. I will try to find it and post it here again. I had to buy a different resistor because it was the only one Radio Shack had. If you want, I can show you what I did at NeXXt.

Edt: Vern recommended a 6.5 - 7 Ohm/12 watt resistor. The closest thing I could find at Radio Shack was a 10 Ohm/10 Watt resistor. Works fine. The resistors do heat up if you leave the blinker on for an extended time, but I just hung them so they don't touch anything under the seat. I can email you the picture as it is better quality in full size, just PM me your email address.

Mac

Another fix would be to install a Libertek solid state turn signal relay. They are adjustable from 1-6 blinks a second and require about 5 minutes of your time to install (remove the OEM relay and 3 wires to splice into the wires going to the OEM relay) . They are bit expensive but you can always keep it when you sell the bike and use it one your next ride. I installed one on my Bird and am very pleased with the unit.