CBR1100XX.org Forum

200mph ++ HOW TO..??

Tom Braithwaite

Vindication for Tomek.

I actually went and got the formula and an explanation. The following is a quote from Wikipedia.

Power

The power required to overcome the aerodynamic drag is given by:

Pd=Fd*v=-1/2pV^3*A*Cd

Where Pd=power to overcome drag

Fd= the force of the drag

V is the velocity

pV is the change in velocity

A is the cross sectional area

Cd is the drag coefficient.

Since, for the same vehicle, the latter two items may be considered as unity, the equation becomes simply Pd=Fd*v.

Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Since power is the rate of doing work, exerting four times the force at twice the speed requires eight times the power.

It should be emphasized here that the drag equation is an approximation, and does not neccessarily give a close approximation in every instance. Thus one should be careful when making assumptions using these equations.

[edit]

Now if we could only get 2002 Blackbirds to read. :icon_biggrin::icon_confused:

Vindication for Tomek.

I actually went and got the formula and an explanation. The following is a quote from Wikipedia.

Power

Pd=Fd*v=-1/2pV^3*A*Cd

V is the velocity

Since, for the same vehicle, the latter two items may be considered as unity, the equation becomes simply Pd=Fd*v.

Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Since power is the rate of doing work, exerting four times the force at twice the speed requires eight times the power.

It should be emphasized here that the drag equation is an approximation, and does not neccessarily give a close approximation in every instance. Thus one should be careful when making assumptions using these equations.

[edit]

DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!

BTW, it's not exact, but will get you to within 1mph or so as long as all things stay the same (rider, weight, tire pressure, humidity, temp, etc)...

Mike

Vindication for Tomek.

Power

Pd=Fd*v=-1/2pV^3*A*Cd

V is the velocity

[edit]

Damm Smartypants. :icon_doh:

Guest rockmeupto125

Hey I've got a 2002 XX that seems like it runs better than other XXs can I play too?

Best 2 out of 3 on the 1/8 mile for titles, Forrest? :icon_dance::icon_biggrin:

Hey I've got a 2002 XX that seems like it runs better than other XXs can I play too?

Best 2 out of 3 on the 1/8 mile for titles, Forrest? :icon_dance::icon_biggrin:

How about the best 2 out of 3 on the 1/4 mile for titles?

Ya'll are getting carried away here.............I was hoping my Ole Buddy Dwayne was on this site, thought he was, the more I read the more I doubt it though. By chance does anyone know a man named Dwayne with a turbo 97 XX? Lived here in Palm City until about a year ago, transferred to North Fl. somewhere for hurricane damage estimates. He was present on many rides with me and will back up everything I have claimed here.

I can't believe what I'm reading here :icon_eek: Maybe there IS, as I have suspected, something different about the 2002 XX, on my second one now. I did a full dyno with stock pipes and saw 131hp fall off at 10500 rpm's, next week bolted a Two Bro's full exhaust system on, full dyno again and saw 142hp maintained to 11500 rph into the rev limiter! increase in torque the full range with NO drops or ill effects, huge drop in weight, enormous performance gain. The only bike I haven't raced against yet is a ZX14, a 165 lb rider on a well tuned Busa is side by side with me from 0 - the limiter in 6th gear well over 195 indicated, no ZX12 has ever stayed beside me! Aerodynamic's? the XX is slimmer than it's so called two competitors, just park them side by side and look at them...........................The XX was the first 200 mph motorcycle for sale in the U.S.A. all they did was detune it a few years ago, the PFI wakes up just fine with an exhaust system again!.

so he'll verify that you've never been beat by a stock-ish 12 or 'busa, and that the XX was the first 200mph bike for sale in the USA?? :icon_wall:

I'd believe you saw an indicated 195 though, because that's about 175 actual, and you're pretty close to sea level...

Mike

Edit: That reminded me... I had a couple friends (not really close ones, mind you) who would back each other up on OBVIOUSLY FAR OUT stuff all the time...

(aaron) We got pulled over in that (naturally aspirated, completely stock '96 300Z) yellow Z the other day clocked with radar at 178mph

(me) bullshit

(nick) no man, honest to God... I was with him, then we went to IRP later that night in my (stock internally except larger throttle bodies, 93 Cobra intake, K&N, underdrive pullys, MSD ignition, and Borla exhaust with H-pipe, and a shift kit in the auto tranny) '89 LX 5.0 and ran a 10.48 1/4 mile at 135mph.

(me) bullshit

(aaron) No shit man, I was in the passenger seat for that run (except they don't allow passengers)

Ya'll are getting carried away here.............I was hoping my Ole Buddy Dwayne was on this site, thought he was, the more I read the more I doubt it though. By chance does anyone know a man named Dwayne with a turbo 97 XX? Lived here in Palm City until about a year ago, transferred to North Fl. somewhere for hurricane damage estimates. He was present on many rides with me and will back up everything I have claimed here.

What's his user name? Shouldn't be hard to find him on the 'net if he frequents .php lists like this one.

Heck, it took me all of 30 seconds to find all kinds of "interesting" threads that you either started or took part in on Fireblades.org, Sportbikes.net, etc... just by Googling your user name 'kf4mtw' and CBR1100XX.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/members/kf4mtw-9300.html

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/member.ph...poster&t=309950

What's his user name? Shouldn't be hard to find him on the 'net if he frequents .php lists like this one.

Heck, it took me all of 30 seconds to find all kinds of "interesting" threads that you either started or took part in on Fireblades.org, Sportbikes.net, etc... just by Googling your user name 'kf4mtw' and CBR1100XX.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1021155

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/search.php?searchid=853913

Well, THAT adds a bit of context. Another Johnny Monsoon, it seems. kf4's obviously been in more'n a few similarly ignited flame wars about hard to believe internet claims. What's that joke about the hunter and the bears buggering him, with the punchline where the last large bear taps him on the shoulder and says: "you don't really do this for the hunting, do you?"

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1021155

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/search.php?searchid=853913

Well, THAT adds a bit of context. Another Johnny Monsoon, it seems. kf4's obviously been in more'n a few similarly ignited flame wars about hard to believe internet claims. What's that joke about the hunter and the bears buggering him, with the punchline where the last large bear taps him on the shoulder and says: "you don't really do this for the hunting, do you?"

+1

I met Dwayne once. Nice guy. Very clean and stealthy turbo bird. He knows his stuff too. I introduced him to this forum late last year or real early this year. He posted a few times and that was it for him. He was asking about others who have hair dryers hung on their XX's. Nice guy.

I love it :icon_lol: Mr. only 5 over the speed limit banned him from Fireblades.org for 2 weeks :icon_rolleyes:

Yeah that ought to set him straight..... :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks for the links I'd forgotten why I don't go over there. :icon_wink:

It would seem that this guy has developed a following where ever he's gone. Do you think he was shuned as child on the play ground too ?

The admin over at Fireblades"Conqsoft" use to hang here until us "hooligans" :icon_rolleyes: offended him with our riding styles.. :icon_lol:

Something about Carlos not obeying street signs in parking lots.. :icon_lol:

Oh and the "I never ride over 5 MPH over the posted speed limit on the street. :icon_lol:

Good times... :icon_lol:

Indeed, a great joke:

"Frank was excited about his new rifle. So, he went bear hunting. He spotted a small brown bear and shot it. There was then a tap on his shoulder, and he turned round to see a big black bear.

The black bear said "You've got two choices. I either maul you to death or we have sex." Frank decided to bend over. Even though he felt sore for two weeks, Frank soon recovered and vowed revenge.

He headed out on another trip where he found the black bear and shot it. There was another tap on his shoulder. This time a huge grizzly bear stood right next to him. The grizzly said "That was a huge mistake, Frank. You've got two choices. Either I maul you to death or we'll have rough sex." Again, Frank thought it was better to comply.

Although he survived, it would take several months before Frank finally recovered. Outraged he headed back to the woods, managed to track down the grizzly and shot it. He felt sweet revenge, but then there was a tap on his shoulder. He turned round to find a giant polar bear standing there.

The polar bear said "Admit it, Frank, you don't come here for the hunting, do you?"

The admin over at Fireblades"Conqsoft" use to hang here until us "hooligans" :icon_rolleyes: offended him with our riding styles.. :icon_lol:

Something about Carlos not obeying street signs in parking lots.. :icon_lol:

Oh and the "I never ride over 5 MPH over the posted speed limit on the street. :icon_lol:

Good times... :icon_lol:

I remember that :icon_lol::icon_lol: He keep saying that a street sign has to be obeyed even though it was in a parking lot on private property.

I love it :icon_lol: Mr. only 5 over the speed limit banned him from Fireblades.org for 2 weeks :icon_rolleyes:

Yeah that ought to set him straight..... :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks for the links I'd forgotten why I don't go over there. :icon_wink:...............

He was more like a boy scout leader!

It would seem that this guy has developed a following where ever he's gone. Do you think he was shuned as child on the play ground too ?

Unfortunately that's all most critters can do there good buddy,........................FOLLOW!

I met Dwayne once. Nice guy. Very clean and stealthy turbo bird. He knows his stuff too. I introduced him to this forum late last year or real early this year. He posted a few times and that was it for him. He was asking about others who have hair dryers hung on their XX's. Nice guy.

too bad, I knew he wouldn't tolerate much of this crap, too bad, yall run off another good one there. After an entertaining days ride he would pull alongside me on low boost and just give it a little twist to keep my head from getting too big..........................see ya!

too bad, I knew he wouldn't tolerate much of this crap, too bad, yall run off another good one there. After an entertaining days ride he would pull alongside me on low boost and just give it a little twist to keep my head from getting too big..........................see ya!

Yer leavin? :icon_think:

We won't ban you from here I promise. :icon_lol:

I guess Palm City ran him off to then ??

he still shows up here now and then, of course Kent Stotz and Barry Henson have been known to post here a few times also. But then what does Kent or Barry know about Blackbirds or Busa's !! :icon_duh:

You are welcome to post up most anything you like here any time you like but don't expect everyone to put you on a pedistal with less than 10 posts to your name.

You are welcome to post up most anything you like here any time you like but don't expect everyone to put you on a pedistal with less than 10 posts to your name.

yeah.. it took me 500 posts to earn even halfway reasonable contempt. :icon_twisted:

don't expect everyone to put you on a pedistal with less than 10 posts to your name.

Especially with your "extra fast bone stock" 02 XX. I've seen 200 on my 99 :icon_dance: , it's just that I'm geared down and was probably only doing 170 actual. I've got into my little top end dances with other bikes like many others on here, and I've got to say a Busa or a 12 will stomp a stock XX at 170mph+ speeds. Slap a turbo on it and then it's a possibility, or invest in the engine work that Chris has done to his to hit some high HP numbers. Any way you go, you'll not do it stock and it'll cost you. I'd like to see you line up against someone on here at the strip. There's some pretty quick people on here that will probably hand your ass back to you.