CBR1100XX.org Forum

200mph ++ HOW TO..??

Tom Braithwaite

I can't believe what I'm reading here :icon_eek: Maybe there IS, as I have suspected, something different about the 2002 XX, on my second one now. I did a full dyno with stock pipes and saw 131hp fall off at 10500 rpm's, next week bolted a Two Bro's full exhaust system on, full dyno again and saw 142hp maintained to 11500 rph into the rev limiter! increase in torque the full range with NO drops or ill effects, huge drop in weight, enormous performance gain. The only bike I haven't raced against yet is a ZX14, a 165 lb rider on a well tuned Busa is side by side with me from 0 - the limiter in 6th gear well over 195 indicated, no ZX12 has ever stayed beside me! Aerodynamic's? the XX is slimmer than it's so called two competitors, just park them side by side and look at them...........................The XX was the first 200 mph motorcycle for sale in the U.S.A. all they did was detune it a few years ago, the PFI wakes up just fine with an exhaust system again!.

Maybe you should just go back to your crack pipe, homey.

So I reckon your'e either afraid of twisting the throttle, not interested in going fast, prefer the sexy appearance of two mufflers, or never pulled alongside an 02 XX with a full exhaust system!................homey!

So I reckon your'e either afraid of twisting the throttle, not interested in going fast, prefer the sexy appearance of two mufflers, or never pulled alongside an 02 XX with a full exhaust system!................homey!

Got me. My bad.

Hey Homey,

Says SE Fl. in your profile ?

Where at ?

I am in Ft Lauderdale and don't see many Birds around here except, used to see Ken Stotz's Bird around Davie now and again until Veloscity Racing moved to kentucky or some where.

You must spend alittle time out on Hwy 27 on Sunday mornings and then you will have no problem seeing Busa and ZX12's eat your lunch on a Bird. Or stop by Blais Cycle and talk with Kevin Blais to get the best and most accurate info available in SE Florida about top speed runs by the top Bikes in the world.

My 2001 Bird was setup at Blais with full race Akro, PC-II and Filter with a custom built map and it puts out 149.9 peak hp and no it won't break 200mph.

I saw 191 indicated with a lousy 178 on the GPS when I rolled off but could have gotten maybe 3-4 more out of it if I had another mile of straightaway.

200mph ain't gonna happen on a stock Bird anytime soon.

I see the bottom end integrity of the XX in question here as well :icon_think: let me see here, if my memory serve's me well, Kent Stotz still holds the mph record for A.M.A. Pro Street Class until he dropped out last year because they changed the rules so Harley could compete with him and Barry Henson's Busa!...500 hp street legal Blackbird over 200 mph in the 1/4 mile...............

Hey Homey,

Says SE Fl. in your profile ?

Where at ?

I am in Ft Lauderdale and don't see many Birds around here except, used to see Ken Stotz's Bird around Davie now and again until Veloscity Racing moved to kentucky or some where.

You must spend alittle time out on Hwy 27 on Sunday mornings and then you will have no problem seeing Busa and ZX12's eat your lunch on a Bird. Or stop by Blais Cycle and talk with Kevin Blais to get the best and most accurate info available in SE Florida about top speed runs by the top Bikes in the world.

My 2001 Bird was setup at Blais with full race Akro, PC-II and Filter with a custom built map and it puts out 149.9 peak hp and no it won't break 200mph.

I saw 191 indicated with a lousy 178 on the GPS when I rolled off but could have gotten maybe 3-4 more out of it if I had another mile of straightaway.

200mph ain't gonna happen on a stock Bird anytime soon.

............................200 gps mph ain't gonna happen on a stock anything! BUT, I ain't had any of those STOCK BIKE's outrun mine either, take either one off the showroom floor, put an exhaust on it, at best we'll be side by side from 0-rev limiter in high gear, I been racing them things for 28000 combined miles woth two 02 XX's, never had a "STOCK" ZX or STOCK BUSA walk away from mine, I'm talking "STOCK", buy it, put a pipe on it, drive it, no additional work or Power Commanders, or strap's, or electric shifters or nothing! Buy it, put a pipe on it, drive it, not gonna happen without additional thousands of dollars invested!

Close, HP requirement varies as the square of the speed increase not the cube. Still need over 180 RWHP.

Well,no,as usually you are wrong. :icon_twisted::icon_wink:

Drag increases as a square,hp needed as a cube.

You can convert HP definition to something like HP=F X v

F is force needed to propel bike at given speed,for small gains we can "forget" rolling resistance, aero drag is much greater in those speeds.In reality F is a aero drag plus rolling resistance,so there is some shortcut in cube rule.

v is a speed.

Basicaly in order to go twice faster you need 8 times more hp.20 hp bike will do,let say 75 mph,160 hp will get close to 185-190 mph.Does this sound about right?.20 hp bike is usually 100-150 pouds lighter so rolling resistance comes into play.

Close, HP requirement varies as the square of the speed increase not the cube. Still need over 180 RWHP.

Well,no,as usually you are wrong. :icon_twisted::icon_wink:

Drag increases as a square,hp needed as a cube.

You can convert HP definition to something like HP=F X v

F is force needed to propel bike at given speed,for small gains we can "forget" rolling resistance, aero drag is much greater in those speeds.In reality F is a aero drag plus rolling resistance,so there is some shortcut in cube rule.

v is a speed.

Basicaly in order to go twice faster you need 8 times more hp.20 hp bike will do,let say 75 mph,160 hp will get close to 185-190 mph.Does this sound about right?.20 hp bike is usually 100-150 pouds lighter so rolling resistance comes into play.

So your saying that the 20HP bike, assuming it is HP limited at 75 mph will require 8000 HP to go 150! I haven't calibrated my calculator lately but 20*20*20=8000. I dunno, but I think something may be off there.

So your saying that the 20HP bike, assuming it is HP limited at 75 mph will require 8000 HP to go 150! I haven't calibrated my calculator lately but 20*20*20=8000. I dunno, but I think something may be off there.

Yes.

Do you have a problem with that? :icon_twisted:

Consider this... land speed record attempts have exceeded 200Mph with lesser equipment (less power and poorer airodynamics) for yonks...

the advantage they have is a MEAN run up and a loooooong flat salt pan to get to the desired speed. So basically, a mean mutha long road with maybe a slight decline slope would be able to see 200Mph with the right gearing. It might help if you have Anson running in front to catch his slipstream tho :icon_twisted:

LOL! How'd I get in THIS thread??

I know I must have missed something here in S.E. Florida. There must be an area that I'm not familiar with that bends the laws of Physics. What road is that? I'd like to see my 140.7 HP XX ( and 88 Ft/LBS ) break a verified 190MPH. Not only that, but this section of roadway must cater to the Spirits of the Mighty XX being that you are as evenly matched against Busa's and other new 1 liter sportbikes. You didn't happen to handle the last ballot count in the 04' presidential election in the state of Florida did you ??

I know I must have missed something here in S.E. Florida. There must be an area that I'm not familiar with that bends the laws of Physics. What road is that? I'd like to see my 140.7 HP XX ( and 88 Ft/LBS ) break a verified 190MPH. Not only that, but this section of roadway must cater to the Spirits of the Mighty XX being that you are as evenly matched against Busa's and other new 1 liter sportbikes. You didn't happen to handle the last ballot count in the 04' presidential election in the state of Florida did you ??

....................................................So your'e saying you can't keep up with a Stock Busa or a new CBR1000RR, or ZX10?................. :icon_eh: I ride back and forth to Port Mayacca from the Shell Station by Moroso all the time with them guys. Do you go to the 200 + mph Speed Gun runs with the Fast Guys on Indiantown Road sunday mornings?????????????????? Oh, i'm sorry, I forgot, motorcycles can't go that fast according to the smart guy's here!.............

Yes.

Do you have a problem with that? :icon_twisted:

Just a tiny one given that by your own numbers 175 mph only takes 140 HP or so. I'll grant a better Cd for the larger bike and we can discount rolling resistance but that cube number just keeps bothering me. There comes a point where HP, or better, the thrust at the tire's contact patch = the drag force. From there, a corresponding increase in drag due to increased speed should require an equal increase (percentage wise) in HP to match the opposing force. Methinks you are factoring the velocity twice.

Thanks,

I think it might apply, the cube thing, if we were talking about acceleration to a given speed in the same time frame. So, zero to 100 mph in 5 seconds vs zero to 200 mph in 5 seconds might easily require the cube of HP given the same mass.

All this nit picking aside, I just don't see a Blackbird reaching 200 mph (real, not indicated) with anything like a stock motor.

My old drag bike would run 8.0 at about 160 and was nosing over in the lights. Given the 600 lb bike and rider combination, I was making about 200 HP. No fairing on that thing and I have a pretty wide cross section :icon_redface: Pro Stock bikes are hitting right at 190 or so in the quarter and they are pretty close to 300 HP these days. Given that the average bike has about the same drag coeefient as a school bus, just less total area, it's gonna take a whole bunch more than 140 RWHP to see 200 mph.

Another side track, yes the 'bird is slimmer than a Busa or the ZX-14 but their fairings do a better job of getting the rider out of the wind, hence the 5-8 mph advantage of the Busa over the Blackbird. That big hump is back there for a very, very good reason. The current crop of GP bikes are capable of 200 mph but they are a heck of a lot smaller and more aerodynamic than a Blackbird with right at 180-190 RWHP.

Guest rockmeupto125

I just don't see a Blackbird reaching 200 mph (real, not indicated) with anything like a stock motor.

It might with lightweight rims.

"Another side track, yes the 'bird is slimmer than a Busa or the ZX-14 but their fairings do a better job of getting the rider out of the wind, hence the 5-8 mph advantage of the Busa over the Blackbird. That big hump is back there for a very, very good reason. The current crop of GP bikes are capable of 200 mph but they are a heck of a lot smaller and more aerodynamic than a Blackbird with right at 180-190 RWHP."...

....................... :icon_think: ........................I know according to all the bias publications last few years the data can be convincing. Most riders are 200 lbs close to 6 feet, i'm 165 @ 5'9 and hide quite well under the stock windscreen. Honda's developement's over the past 40 years is more secretive than Area 51. Got to be something special happening between the intake plenim and P.F.I. system at high speeds for my bike to run like it does. If you were to force 170 mph wind into the intake while on the dyno would the hp go from 140 to 170?......Them new 1000cc bikes ARE much lighter and more hp BUT they are designed and built for more power coming out of the corners, bottom end, couple of them will pull away from me a few bike lengths for a while but I usually reel them in when I get into high gear as they get out of their environment!................

This thread is f'n hilarious :icon_rolleyes:

kf4, all you really need is a 30 to 40 mph tailwind and you're gearing will get you there. Since we're rolling in on hurricane season you should be able to hang around on the leading edge of the next named storm.

I just don't see a Blackbird reaching 200 mph (real, not indicated) with anything like a stock motor.

It might with lightweight rims.

What if he removes the seat, exhaust pipes, the toolkit, maybe the weight saving will help. Oh and change the gearing!!! Maybe go on a diet so you are under a 100 Lbs like Paully!

Yeez, :icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes: ,read my post. :icon_wall: :icon_wall:

Obviously you have problem with physics and math too. :icon_wall:

Cube of 2 is 8 right ? . 8 X 20hp = 160 hp.

....................................................So your'e saying you can't keep up with a Stock Busa or a new CBR1000RR, or ZX10?................. :icon_eh: I ride back and forth to Port Mayacca from the Shell Station by Moroso all the time with them guys. Do you go to the 200 + mph Speed Gun runs with the Fast Guys on Indiantown Road sunday mornings?????????????????? Oh, i'm sorry, I forgot, motorcycles can't go that fast according to the smart guy's here!.............

I know of the spot you're talking about and I also know James who shoots the radar. You should also know Adam with the Gixxer 1K and Sean with the orange ZX-10 and "Crash" with the new Gixxer 1K and who knows who else. If you were a regular up there, then you would have seen me as well on my 01' XX. I have not been up there all that much this year, maybe 5 times, but I live at Okeechobee and Jog Rd, so I know the area fairly well. Either your bike has had some work done to it before you owned it, or these other guys were toying with you. That's the only explanation I can assume from what you are saying.

Speaking about Moroso............. have you ran your bike there? You should be running 10.25 or better @ 136+MPH if you compare so well against these other bikes. I may have to go back to my stock gearing to see if your bike does walk the walk.

BTW 10.55@133.4 MPH

+2 in the rear

strapped

D&D's, K&N. No PCII, on Pilot Roads.

6' tall 205lbs.

Ring a Bell ????