CBR1100XX.org Forum

New to The XX - Tank protection suggestions?

gt_mule

Mag Knight tank protectors are magnetic and easily removable(for waxing tank, etc). They are custom made for the bike, and look great on a XX in Carbon Fiber look or color matched. They protect the back and sides of the tank and where the knee and thigh would normally make contact with the tank. I have one on my FJR1300 as well. :icon_dance:

http://www.mag-knight.com/

I had always used a Mag-Knight tank bra on my XX but never really liked the way that it looked on the tank.

After looking closely at the locations of all of the scratches on that bra, and learning that 99.99% of them were right at the back of the tank... I decided to install a genuine Honda tank pad instead.

In the U.K. this pad carries part number 08P61-MCS-800 and is shown in the official Honda U.K. Accessories Catalog as an accessory tank pad for the CBR1100XX, ST1300, and a few other models.

In the United States the part number is 08P61-MCS-100 and the box says that it's an ST1300 part.

Bottom line is that it costs $41.07 from Service Honda and it fits the XX perfectly.

IPB Image

The Honda pad looks great, but it doesn't protect the sides of the tank at all.

Protect the sides of the tank from what?

I wrote in my post that I'd looked closely at the locations of all of the scratches on the Mag-Knight bra, and after deciding that 99.99% of them were at the back of the tank it made sense to use the Honda pad. If you have scratches all over the sides of your tank, then use a Bagster.

Blkbrdrydr,

Just replying to the question posed on the thread. Some of us DO tend to hug (and steer) the bike with our knees on the tank, though. That's why British bikes had those rubber tank pads!

I would like to avoid jacket scratches AND knee wear.

BTW,

GO PISTONS! :icon_dance::icon_dance::icon_dance::icon_dance:

i have a honda tank pad like the one above to protect the tank from my belt. i also use sniders paint guard to protect the sides and under my tank bag. its a clear vinyl that sticks on with static electricity. cut it to fit spray on some water then apply and squegee the water bubbles out. can hardly tell its there. looks good and peels off easy.

OK, this cover takes a while to order in, but it's awesome. I have one for my Bird, and it accepts a custom tank bag with full tank coverage for protection from scratches and sun fading. I don't have a picture of it on my bike available now, but here is a link to see what the cover looks like off the bike. They now have CBR embroidered on the side and it looks pretty cool.

Bagster Cover for XX

I will be picking up an '03 XX in the next week or so. I see all these great pics of tank bras and carbon fiber tank pads - I'm wondering where people got theirs. Also found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

on ebay. Anyone used this? I would like to avoid jacket scratches AND knee wear.

Thanks

:icon_confused: I tried some clear tank protector and it turned out opaque and rather matt looking so took it off, I guess I'd rather scratches than that stuff, still looking for a really CLEAR product. :icon_mad::icon_confused:

Lockhart Phillips here. Relatively cheap, good fit, and no damage to the underlying paint after 40k+ miles (went through two bras in that time)

IPB Image

+1

i cover all the scratches on my 99 with a magnetic tank bag that put the scratches there in the first place :icon_duh:

I ordered a bagster last week and the people that i know have them say they are the ducks guts not cheap but very good quality. now i just need to wait 4-6 weeks for it to arrive

Cheers

Marchy

In the United States the part number is 08P61-MCS-100 and the box says that it's an ST1300 part.

IPB Image

For the ST1300 thay also make a set of stick on knee pads.

In conjunction with the tank pad, they protect very well and look slick.

IPB Image