CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Oilers

OZDave

• 2 weeks later...

What is this WINNNN---TERRRR you speak of? I believe I may have heard of some time of year where it gets into the 60's where I live. Is this it? :icon_biggrin:

If I have a project, the bike has to come off the road and I am sad. :icon_frown:

Ahhhh, a second bike, that's the ticket! :icon_dance:

What is this WINNNN---TERRRR you speak of?

In Michigan terms, it's when most of the insects die! :icon_lol:

They must not like the white stuff covering everything (salt, snow, ice, generally in that order).

That's when we get to play with our tracked vehicles (snowmobiles), and walk and fish through hard water (ice).

When do your bugs and vermin die off (if ever)? :icon_razz:

My two bits worth from Canada,

I have a '03 Bird and installed a British made chain oiler called a 'Lubman'. It cost about 16 pounds UK and is very simple to install and use. It operates on simple old gravity feed, no electric power required. My experience has been very good.

I installed one on my old YZF1000 several years ago and never had to adjust the chain again! The chain never looked so good and it sure beat the heck of constantly trying to lube with spray cans or other messy stuff.

Check for their website online.

Cheers,

Dave

I have a '03 Bird and installed a British made chain oiler called a 'Lubman'. It cost about 16 pounds UK and is very simple to install and use. It operates on simple old gravity feed, no electric power required. My experience has been very good.

Except that it's called a "loobman"

I've seen the site that sells it (http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/). I think I know someone who has something like that. The biggest problem I see with putting one on a Bird is finding a place to mount it where it doesn't look fugly.

Otherwise, yeah, it would make the lubing of a chain easier. You just have to pop up on the centerstand to do the deed. Might not lube as consistently as one that sprays like clockwork, but lubing (if done everytime you gas up) doesn't have to be done like clockwork, just regularly.

Do you have pics of where you mounted the bottle on your Blackbird?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Got my pro oiler a few weeks ago and just had time to get it installed over the weekend. This thing rocks. I will no longer be lubing my chaing and getting crap all over the plastic. What you you guys have your set to? mine is set to 12 s3 and it seems to lube fine with minimal fling

Got my pro oiler a few weeks ago and just had time to get it installed over the weekend. This thing rocks. I will no longer be lubing my chaing and getting crap all over the plastic. What you you guys have your set to? mine is set to 12 s3 and it seems to lube fine with minimal fling

OK, I tried to get mine installed today.

Didn't work for me.

Questions:

What color is the Speedometer wire? ( I found the 3 wires, Pink, Dark Brown (black?) and Green) Which one to I hook up to?

Where did you run the wires? I kept them to the left side of the bike, and was going to put the junction box just aft of the battery.

Where did you end up running the ground. My first though was to go to the ground terminal where the tank is also grounded (on the left side again.)

Is using the left side causing EMI problems? I'm getting weird display codes on the controller.

While doing the EMI test, once I start the engine the readout flashes a couple numbers, then locks on to "E7". I can change the E7 reading by using the +- keys.

Did I mention I hate doing shit like this?

OK, I tried to get mine installed today.

Didn't work for me.

Questions:

What color is the Speedometer wire? ( I found the 3 wires, Pink, Dark Brown (black?) and Green) Which one to I hook up to?

Where did you run the wires? I kept them to the left side of the bike, and was going to put the junction box just aft of the battery.

Where did you end up running the ground. My first though was to go to the ground terminal where the tank is also grounded (on the left side again.)

Is using the left side causing EMI problems? I'm getting weird display codes on the controller.

While doing the EMI test, once I start the engine the readout flashes a couple numbers, then locks on to "E7". I can change the E7 reading by using the +- keys.

Did I mention I hate doing shit like this?

OK I've managed to test the speedo reading. put the Oiler into signal count mode, spun the tire, it worked. Turned the motor on, it counted if the wheel spun, but as soon as I hit the brake, it stopped. Excellent!

New Problem. Now the damn thing won't turn on!!!. No display, no error, nothing. I've tried reconnecting all wires, and moved the ground around to various places.

The wire splicers they supplied,..... are they worth a shit? It looks like it would work, but why intermittent power supply?

I'm going to connect straight to the battery, just to see if it's a power supply problem or a hardware problem.

I suggest you just start from the hot lead and work forward. Don't forget there's a fuse in the junction box.

I'd checked the fuse, and it's fine.

After several hours of frustration, I reached to move the junction box, when I touched the fuse, it rattled. Turns out the fuse was not tight in the holders.

Pushed the fuse in better and VOILA. I guess it'd be easier if I owned a voltmeter thingy. But anyways, I've got the electronics working fine. I'm just doing the plumbing now.

Truthfully, if it hadn't been for the fuse/electrical gremlin, this wouldn't really be a big deal to put in.