CBR1100XX.org Forum

Parts to replace, or carry on tour...

county

18 months and 22,000 miles since I got the XX. So, this year I got several multiple thousand mile trips planned and the bike has over 25,000 miles on it. (It had about 3500 when I got it).

Anyway, do I need to be carrying a spare clutch cable or something?

Do I need to replace a water pump as PM?

Comments ?

18 months and 22,000 miles since I got the XX. So, this year I got several multiple thousand mile trips planned and the bike has over 25,000 miles on it. (It had about 3500 when I got it).

Comments ?

Definitely a spare clutch cable. They're hard to find in a pinch. :icon_lol:

I'd go over your regulator connections, and pick up a used spare. Keep a tire repair kit on hand, as well. Other than that, ride the bitch :icon_biggrin:

I've gone for a few 2500+ mile trips in the last year or so, without a single spare part, and only once had an issue with my regulator connections. Had a nail in my rear tire during the ride at Mega last year, as well.

So, other than the popular regulator issues, the only other problem I can foresee is a flat tire.

I carried a few extra sockets and a ratchet when I rode to Cali, which came in handy when my buds chain went out of whack, but other than some spare fuses, a bulb or two, and my flat kit and airpump, I didn't carry any parts. Inspect your chain before you go, that was the only thing we had a problem with on our trip, and if you ARE going to replace it, do it soon enough to put a few hundred miles on to break it in and make sure there are no problems BEFORE you head out for your trip. Other than that...ride the bitch.

Comments ?

First don't bother taking things you can't use. If you don't know how to fix "X" don't take the tools to do it.

Basics to take on any trip should be your stock tool kit, tire repair kit, duct tape, wire, electrical tape, vise grips and chain lube.

If you are mechanically inclinded what tools did you use when you were working on it in the last few months. If you have any you think you couldn't do without take them.

As for spare parts make sure you have some fuses at least 3-4 of each rating as if you have a electrical problem you will most likely blow a few trying to find it.

The biggest thing should be prep work, take the plastics off the bike(at least the lowers), check everything over, and replace things that need to be replaced then.

My damn tool kit didn't come with a allen wrench to get the friggin' plastics off. That said, I've repaired enough to get home from getting hit with road debris- hard- and having some wrapped in the chain, just from the tool kit the bike has.

+1 on the tire repair kit, and +1 on not taking anything to fix something you wouldn't know how to fix at home. I.E., don't bother taking the shop manual. :icon_lol:

As always, though, don't forget to check the tire fluid levels and the air pressure in the lights before you leave.

Just wondering if the clutch cable I need will fit both XXs and the FJR? I hate buying extra spares.

You do know that the XX has a hydraulic clutch and as such uses a line with banjo fittings :icon_duh:

NBL

Hehehe, gotcha. Right now, I have two XXs and an FJR in various stages of disassembly in the garage -- the '97 without front end, wheels, plastic, bars, etc.

What I could use is some knowledge about how the hell to avoid scratching the friggin' rear wheel when putting a 180 on it by myself! Or where to get some silver paint that matches the FJR's wheel? F*%$ me, but the 4 layers of duct tape on the 14" car wheel I'm using for a tire changing station wore through!!!!!!! So, yeah, right now I'm thinking that I'm dumb enough to try to put a clutch cable on any one of these bikes. :icon_wall: :icon_wall: :icon_wall: :icon_wall: :icon_wall:

What I could use is some knowledge about how the hell to avoid scratching the friggin' rear wheel when putting a 180 on it by myself! Or where to get some silver paint that matches the FJR's wheel? F*%$ me, but the 4 layers of duct tape on the 14" car wheel I'm using for a tire changing station wore through!!!!!!!

A length of qualty rubber garden hose, slit down one side and installed on the lip of your 14" car wheel does the trick. Foam pipe insulation works as well, but isn't as durable.

Don't forget an extra tool kit strap too.

...and, some wheel extra bearings and a punch (that was just prolly just my luck) :icon_whistle: .

Other than that, what they said. :icon_wink:

Last yr. on my trip to Hookers I carried a few cans of dehydrated water.

You never know when your gonna get stranded away from a water source. :icon_wink:

You never know when your gonna get stranded away from a water source. :icon_wink:

He didn't need it though. I quenched his thirst when we first met. :icon_cool:

He didn't need it though. I quenched his thirst when we first met. :icon_cool:

Ahhh yes........................... :icon_angel:

Last year I rode 30,000 miles.

At ~50k miles, my headlight blew. Fortunately, I was at MegaXX at the time, and Tim had a spare. (Thanks again, Tim!) My battery died out in the desert on the Hookers trip. I replaced it in Reno. Every trip I brought along tools to do a chain adjustment and spare lube for my ScottOiler. I never even needed a chain adjustment. ScottOiler needed filling once in a while, that was about it.

Of course.. at 25kmiles, you're soon to be due for some PM work:

Plugs, Air Filter, Fork Oil. It's a good idea to do a coolant flush if you haven't done so.

And by god.. replace those muffler bearings!