CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear shock shimming question?

Motobeagle

I pulled out the shock today to set the preload, and installed 4mm's of washers. I didn't notice a thing. Tim's wheel barely spun, and I still have about a 1/2 inch clearance. Does the OD of the washer matter? Could I have used too small of a washer, and they fit in the shock hole?

The only other factor is that my crap stock tire is melting down fast in the center, and may not have the same overall height as Tim's new tire. Guess I got to get the Avon's on now. I psyched myself out of realizing any difference. J

better yet, help me out also, what external diameter, thickness and internal diamter (hole) washer should i look for this weekened? i'm bound and determined to up my preload... my new springs up front are kicking my ass in the back - literally :shock:

Putting shims between the top of the shock and the mounting crossmember does not increase you preload. It does raise your ride height. You can remove the shock, add washers, and screw around trying to get the shock bolt to fit back into the coolant overflow hole, OR, you can make spacers that are open on one end so you can loosen the top mount, push the shock assembly up for clearance and just slide the spacers in place without removing the shock.

To add rear preload, it may be easiest to remove the shock so you can easily access the adjustment ring and locking ring.

...Sitting here at my desk I don't remember the kingpin diameter, but if you pull your seat off and lift the rear of the gas tank you'll see the kingpin nut and the kingpin itself going through the centerpiece of the frame. Any washer that'll fit over that bolt and not poke out too far from the crossmember (heh, heh, I said "member" :lol: ) will do nicely. I've got 6mm worth of spacer on my 'Bird, and I'm not sure I'd recommend more than that: I think 6mm works out to a little less than a quarter inch of thickness.

Also, when you start do do this, try to position the bike's rear tire so that it can drop down lower than floor level-or put the centerstand on a thin piece of wood, 'cuz if you go with the 6mm spacer the floor clearance on reassembly will be "tight". I wound up hanging the back wheel out the front of my garage, over the sloping driveway so I could work on it more easily. And while you're at it, lube the rear shock linkage-it probably needs it.

One more thing: you are aware that putting in a spacer only affects the ride height, not your preload,eh? If you're adjusting your rear preload, use a bigass screwdriver and loosen the locknut on the top of the shock, then the adjustment ring can be cranked tighter for more preload, or looser for less.

Bryan...I'm re-doing mine this weekend (lost some weight)...

Did you install or remove preload?

If you removed preload, and installed 4mm of spacer, then you may not notice as much difference.

I added 6mm of spacer, and noticed a difference. Not as drastic as dropping my forks, but a definite improvement on turn-in. When I lowered my forks 6mm, the bike felt great 2-up, but unstable when solo riding, with a definite weave in moderate turns.

Your mileage may vary, however, as my experience has been with the 900RR shock installed.

Hey Chris.

Based on Redbird's sag adjustments we did, I cranked down the spring about 2.3 turns. I also put the 4mm shims in but didn't notice anything but a stiffer ride. I am going up to 6mm just for the hell of it.

Question. Why is everyone notching out washers when it's fairly easy just to remove the entire shock?

Aftre doing my forks(lost 15mm of front sag)--I went ahead and shimmed the rear to the max--approx 12mm--works awesome--the nut just goes on, the bolt--not extra room

The ppor mans way to arise the rear is to simply add preload--this will have a similar effect--optimum sag--unweighted vs weighted is about 30mm---this is completely independent of increasing the ride height--BUT---if you add more pre-load, your sag will decrease effectively increasing ride height

--I would agree on stock forks 6mm should be the max--but on forks with stiffer springs--6-12mm will be optimum

• 10 months later...

Just 3 questions:

1) Anyone experience any chain or front sprocket problems after installing the 6mm spacer?

2) Do you have to give the chain an "extra margin" of slack after installing the 6mm spacer?

3) I'm thinking about changing my front sprocket to one with 18 teeth, and the rear to one with 46 teeth, to compensate for the altered position between the swingarm & chain after installing the 6mm spacer. Will I lose any performance or power by doing this?

Lynx60

Because the tire won't come off the ground, due to increased rear ride height.

Another way around that would be to drop the front end on the forks a little, lowering the front, and keeping the function of the center stand.

1) Anyone experience any chain or front sprocket problems after installing the 6mm spacer?

No

2) Do you have to give the chain an "extra margin" of slack after installing the 6mm spacer?

I run mine at the loose end of the adjustment range to compensate for the altered angle of the swingarm.

3) I'm thinking about changing my front sprocket to one with 18 teeth, and the rear to one with 46 teeth, to compensate for the altered position between the swingarm & chain after installing the 6mm spacer. Will I lose any performance or power by doing this?

You don't need to change the sprockets, IMO, it's not that drastic of a difference.

You will effectively be changing your final drive from 2.65 to 2.56, so performance will be altered (lowered) slightly. You will lower the rpm for a given speed, and lower your torque multiplication to the rear tire. Probably be harder to wheelie, but get better mileage as a bonus. :grin: