CBR1100XX.org Forum

Looking for recomendations on cycle alarms.

XX RATED

my only complaint is that the range on the pager makes it

effectively useless.

It only works in plain direct sight. If you turn around the corner a wall, it becomes useless. Aritronix suggested me to extend the antenna "straight up" and attach to an accessory pole. I think he was thinking of a GoldWing or something. :shock:

The remote unit has almost no range neither. Mine doesn't activate/deactivate unless I'm about 10 feet or so close to the bike. At one point, the remote unit "lost it's code" so I had to send it back and they reprogrammed it. I like the modular design, i.e, you add as you wish things like engine kill, remote sensor, etc. Installation is easy if you do NOT follow the instructions. THere were wrong information printed on the instructions about the plugs. You don't need much info since the interface module makes pretty straight forward. I don't like the fact that it comes with one remote unit. If you loose it, manual unarming is rather complicated and most likely you won't be carrying the instructions with you anyway.

The one I have is their top line product (300something). I could NOT recommend without any hesitation. On the other hand, Aritronix didn't make any fuss, when I wanted to return the pager unit though.

I am going to put a viper 550hf autostart/alarm on my birdy as soon as I come by one at work. I work in the automotive aftermarket biz and have done plenty of car alarms on bikes and bike alarms on bikes. Car alarms tend to be more flexible with installation and offer more options generally. All you hafta do is take the covers off the brain and put a thin bead of silicone around the edges and put the brain in a plastic bag with a zip tie around the open end where the harness comes out for double protection. I end up with alot of used stuff out of trade in cars and am just waiting for a nice clean one to come in to do mine.

XX RATED:

GORILLA ALARM

Great alarm. Easy install...Positive & Negative to the battery...DONE !

LOUD, Works Well, Compact, and the remote works from more than 150 feet away. You can program the sensativity, ring patterns, type of ring... It has a shock sensor, and a tilt sensor. The new ones come with a blinking led you can install on the dash..or anywhere. I zip ties the siren to the frame under the rear cowl...FITS like a GLOVE ! Best of all...Only 80 bucks...any more Q's..Just ask !

Dave

I have a gorilla alarm too. It works well but I wish the siren was louder. It is good for someone touching your bike and them hearing it, but I rarely hear it go off inside a building and you only know it went off because of the 3 beeps. It is good for the money though.

MaXX

I havent seen any compustar stuff but we do sell audiovox, dei, and magnadyne stuff that has the 2 way pagers built into the remote. They are fairly newish and I havent seen any of the 2 way stuff come back in on trades. The three we have all have remote starts built in and one of them even has a temp readout for the car interior built into the remote. The remotes on those are VERY fragile, and expensive do not seem to last long. I mostly get alot of used basic alarms. But on a good note I got my viper 550 today, one of my boys had one stashed in his locker and I talked him outta it. Now all I need is the time to get it on the bike. I may just be the first bird on the board with an autostart, yer gonna hafta get one next swampy to continue with the inspector gadget theme.

Maybe you should check out the CompuStar stuff then. I haven't been able to kill my remote in nearly four years of use. I do carry it in the included leather fob now, but used to carry it open. It also has an LCD display showing the zone that was violated; don't know if the others do now also. At the time I got this it was the only two-way other than the Alpine for $1200.

:shock:

I had a Clifford alarm on my Yamaha. It was great. The range of the remote was good. It had a starter disable, tilt and shock sensor and also a battery back up if someone disconnects the alarm from the main battery. Never a problem with this alarm. Great factory warranty with theft guarantee. CLifford pays if your bike gets stolen.

I'm out of sight of my bike frequently, which is why I went for the two-way. Also have it on the convertible, so I can leave the top down.

BTW, on the FI models there's a huge space behind the motor where you can mount a large automotive siren or even two. The carb models will have a lot less space, but I've never looked.

I have the Gorilla. 'Easy to install' is an understatement!!

The cool thing about it is that there are a few options on tone. My brother saiys "Man, I never heard that tone before!"

Exactly! If your bike has the exact tone as everyone elses you can't tell if it is going off or not. I can always tell if the Gorilla is hollerin'!

Great factory warranty with theft guarantee. CLifford pays if your bike gets stolen.

As far as I know, Theft guarantees only cover the cost of your insurance deductible. Not the car/bike. So, if you don't have theft coverage, you don't get any money from Clifford.

The warranty card for my Clifford stated that there was a $3,000 theft protection of my vehicle is stolen. No statements at all in reference to my insurance policy. Hope I never have to find out.

If not I think I have an extra layin around the bottom of my toolbox you can have.

Thanks! But yeah I have one in there. That was the primary reason for the alarm. I also have one under the seat on the XX.

I have an HT-202 that I picked up for $67.75 delivered

(can get you the same price, most likely) and it's been

great. On-key remote, variable sensitivity, great

features and really easy to install in a bird.

let me know if you want more details.

:cool: TJ :cool:

Any suggestions on cycle alarms?

I would like to get one with a key fob remote, l would also like one that's loud as hell, with a tilt & motion sensor.