CBR1100XX.org Forum

tires what to buy,help.

scott s.

need some help.what to buy.im mostly a slaber but i hit the twisties when i can.this is my first sport bike and i am becoming a better rider on this type of bike.getting braver in the corners.havent touched a knee yet but i ride the street not the track.need any help i can get on this matter.mileage is not that important but i don't want something thats super low

thanks scott s. xx

ps

where can i get a deal on headlight bulbs.

I have a pair of Z6's on mine at the moment but will switch to Pilot Roads when these are gone. I have used Pilot Roads on almost all my bikes since they came out. Great comprimise between traction and longevity in the dry and they feel better to me than the Z6's in the wet. I also don't like the alarming habit of Z6's of going from "looks OK for another month" to "cord showing, Oh Shit", in a matter of a couple hundred miles.

Believe it or not, the ME880 is not a bad rear tire and it wears like iron. My running mix is about 80% slab, 20% curves with very little in the way of serious twisties involved. I live in S. Fla so there basically are none till you get north of Talahassee and yes, I know about 8 mile road in Mt. Dora. Riding with the 880 compromises rear traction very little so long as you don't get jiggy with the loud handle on 2nd gear corner exits.

Just read an article(will try and find and post) about the new Metzler M-3, due out this month, supposed to be a high traction in wet or dry tire with superb mileage. I am planning on putting a front one on the bird in the spring. I have had great times with the M1.

Brian

I hate be boring, but I still like the Avon 45/46 combo. It's not the latest and greatest, but they grip well enough for me and wear pretty well. I'm gonna get about 7k miles out of the 46.

I've been running a Pirelli Diablo Strada on the rear and the softer compound Pirelli Diablo on the front. I live in SW FL so center rear tire wear is always a problem. The Strada isn't bad in that regard. I run a Metzler 880 on my ST1100 and it does wear like iron. I've had no problem with grip either and I toss it around pretty good sometimes. I'm not sure I'd put an 880 on the Bird, although its tempting. Don't know what the speed rating is or how it'd handle the corners and I'd rather go through a rear tire than a barbed wire fence. I called tech support at Dunlop once when I was running 208's which were only lasting 2,000 miles. They told me don't even think about putting a 220 on the rear. Same kind of tire as the 880, I think. If someone here in Florida has some actual experience running the 880 on the rear I'd like to hear more about it. As it is, the Pirelli's are sweet. Couldn't ask for better in the hot, cold, dry or wet. But, I've never run Avons or Michelins. The best you know is the best you have.

I've been running the Avon 49/46 for the last 3 back tire changes or so, and they seem to be giving the best blend of traction and durability out of the tires I've run so far (Bridgestones, Sportec M1, Avon 35/36). I'm getting about double the mileage of the Sportec M1 with the 46, which is about 15% less than the BT57: only the BT57 was a greasy, hard, POS, and the Avons and Sportecs gave/give almost identical ride qualities on the street. I haven't tried the Pilot roads, but someone on the board has (wish I could remember who it was), and said they didn't last as long as the Avons.

Bryan...just my two cents...

• 9 months later...

I CAN tell you that the Strada rear goes 4200 miles to cord for me. About my norm for all tires. :icon_rolleyes: I'm now running a Shinko 009 rear, if I can't get 5 k out of a tire it might as well be cheap. $90 delivered.

It handles fine for me, (still a Strada on the front) don't know about mileage yet.

When is the m-3 do for release(I think that is what it is called). I have not seen it show up yet.

Have not seen a millage for the powers posted.

I've posted it about 8 times... I got 7500 out of my rear Power, and a little over 10k out of the front... For reference, I get about 10k miles out of a rear Pilot Road... I did (3) sets of Roads on the 'bird, and won't go back now that I've run Powers and the Diablo Strada rear/regular Diablo front combo...

Mike

Running M3-M6 combo, and like it. M3's still good after 7k miles.. Rear went quick at about 6k.

michelin road pilots...'nuff said

+6

I wish one of you would actually say something. I know, do a search......

I'm running Dunlop Qualifiers which have great grip and really improved turn-in. It does twitch a little in a cross wind or passing in a truck's wake.

I ride a lot of back roads in the hills and try to work the outside of the tires.

I also do some speed runs of 100+ mph for distance (300 miles to AC and back, 250 to Towanda, 600 to Johnstown, 300 to OCC).

I changed the rear at 5,000 miles (center stripe) but the front look good. To me that means 10,000 miles for $500 mounted.