CBR1100XX.org Forum

Throttle lock vs Throttlemeister

arcticflipper

Besides the price diff, what is the general feelings towards these?

Is a throttle lock not more of a hazard than a gain?

Can you still close the throttle, or do you have to unlock the throttle lock?

I use the Vista throttle-lock, and it works great! I leave it on most of the time when I am just riding along. Only when I want to speed up the pace I take it off.....

It is very easy to adjust throttle with the lock still on, it just feels a bit heavier....

I have found myself doing some emergency braking with the lock still on, and just by grabbing the front brake fast you take back most throttle. However, you do need to adjust a little at first.....

Mounting the thing is easy (20 mins of work), but finetuning it can be more work. I've mounted about 25 of them the last 6 months for my Dutch customers. Some were perfect in 20 mins (including installing), others needed over 2 hours, and still did not work perfectly. They needed to adjust again after a few hunderd miles.

The throttlemeister I don't like. Locking and unlocking it is a bitch, and feels unnatural. I've used it for 2.500 miles on a holiday, and sold it afterwards to buy a Vista. The TM is a lot more beautifull however, but it will not fit on most aftermarket clip-ons.....

First off, they are two different devices.

The throttle lock things do just that, lock the throttle. As such, I feel they are just a bit dangerous and certainly no substitute for a cruise control.

The Throttlemeister, and its ilk, are throttle drag devices and are not really intended to lock the throttle. Used properly, they will provide enough drag to relieve some of the tension required to maintain throttle position. They shoudl always be set to allow you to easily and simply adjust for things like hills or the need to back off slightly. You can crank them down to temporarily lock the throttle if you need to rest your right arm or scratch but they should not be left at that setting.

I am working on sizing right now for my Blackbird but for my BMW's, I use an O-ring between the grip and the bar end weight that bears on the throttle housing. Most of the benefit of either device and the cost is pennies.

Just like the throttlemeister, Vista and NEP throttle locks are adjustable to hold the throttle, but not so much that you can't manually override it in a hurry if you have to. You're instructed (just like with the throttlemeister) to set the tension to where it will hold the throttle but will still allow you to override it.

Oh and $20 vs. $130. Not much comparison in my mind. I don't care how pretty they are. For an additional $100 or more, they better give me a blowjob too.

I think you question need clarifying

A throttle "LOCK" does not really exist that I know of !

There are a few different types to hold the throttle is any given position.

The Vista and the Throttlemeister are two examples of products to hold the throttle in a set position.

I personnaly sell many Vista's all over the world but have a Throttlemeister on my own Bird.

Both are easy to install and both work as advertised. The ease of use is much greater with the Vista but the appearance is obtrusive at best. The TM looks great and match's my Barender lock or a stainless barend weight nicely but takes a bit of getting use to when using it.

If you are frequent user then I would recommend the Vista but for occasional use the Throttlemeister works well and looks great. I like the Throttlemeister for my own use.

On all that I know of, you can adjust for more or less friction to hold the throttle in a set position while still easily rolling off when braking or slight adjustments for hills, brakelights or whatever reason needed.

My brother in law crashed (minor) becuase of the throttlemeister. I feel the throttle meister is too easy to inadvertantly engage while riding, particularly if you have large hand or large gloves. I use the cheapy NEP lock, sure it looks cheesy, but no worries of accidently twisting it to the locked position during riding.

I tried to install the NEP on my bird, IAW instructions found on another site. I could not get it to work correctly. My fault, I am sure....I got the TM and it works like a charm, but it is still only a static throttle positioner. I have my bird torn down now to install the Audivox cruise control, and I am very excited about this. If it works, I will have a set of TM's for sale.

Just like the throttlemeister, Vista and NEP throttle locks are adjustable to hold the throttle, but not so much that you can't manually override it in a hurry if you have to.  You're instructed (just like with the throttlemeister) to set the tension to where it will hold the throttle but will still allow you to override it.

Oh and $20 vs. $130.  Not much comparison in my mind.  I don't care how pretty they are.  For an additional $100 or more, they better give me a blowjob too.

:stupidsign:

Installed the NEP earlier today. It does take a little engineering to get it mounted. The directions were basically no help, and it didn't fit as the instructions said. I had to put a screw in the bottom of my controls to hold the NEP in place. It seems to function pretty good and you can override if it is "on". I have yet to test it on a trip, but I know K9XX has one and I copied my mounting from his design. His works great, so I'm sure mine will to. My NEP was really cheap....FREE. Thanks to K9XX who had a spare.

Not to hijack but I almost wrecked the first time I ever used a throttle rocker. If anyone is considering buying one.....STAY AWAY!!! :shock:

http://www.throttlerocker.com/info.html

Don't be a wussy! Kuryakyn has an integrated throttle rocker/cam that works with their grips. Very nice and polished. I have them on my Valkyrie, and probably will have them on my Blackbird eventually.