CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shim Bank

Redbird

• 8 months later...

The mr2 owners club at www.mr2oc.com has a shim bank. The little toyota engines use 'em, and they are a bitch to "buy and try". Sometimes all the math in the world, doesn't add up! Anyhow, I believe they had a spreadsheet. I will do some fishing and see if I can find one. Found it. This is not a honda shim bank, just a copy so perhaps we could steal the idea. I believe it was made on excel.

4age16v_shim_bank.htm

Edited by shanesublett

• 1 year later...

I have plans to do my XX this winter. Do you guys think i could get ahold of this kit?

I will probally do my cousins F4i at the same time. Would it take the same size of shims?

Either way, i'll contribute whatever the acceptable amount is to the bank. Where do you order shims from?

Last anyone here heard of this Warchild had it (I sent it to him). I haven't contacted him personally, but I was told he said he sent it to someone else but doesn't recall who. The end result is it's gone ):

I suppose I should unpin or delete this thread.

You can probably get shims from your dealer. Much cheaper from Ronayers if you got a little time. I just ordered some for the SV and they shipped the next day.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dennic Kirk sells refill kits for Hot Cams.That way you can get shims in the thickness range that you actually need.In my dealings with 5 mm shims I only needed them in 1.6-1.8mm range.

• 1 year later...

My bird has 21k miles on it and I still haven't gotten around to getting my valves checked...how bad is it to do really? And how necessary is it at this mileage as I've heard of these bikes runnin way farther.

I've got a 1982 CB900 that I have done the shims on before so it's not a big deal...everything is just a bit more compact on the bird and I'm not really looking forward to it.

However...if that bank ever comes back into play I might need to borrow it.

My bird has 21k miles on it and I still haven't gotten around to getting my valves checked...how bad is it to do really? And how necessary is it at this mileage as I've heard of these bikes runnin way farther.

Got a mobile mechanic to check mine last June during the bikes (only) 1st major service since I got it 3 1/2 yrs & ~60 000km after I got the bike (now at 98 500km) and all were within spec :icon_surprised:

Checking them seemed fairly easy but changing them looks like a bit of a pain, then again not many XX's need them changed :icon_biggrin:

• 3 months later...

I have some extra shims, and would be happy to trade with anyone who needs some different ones. Also, I believe the shims for a Honda CRF450 have the same O.D. and will work in the Bird.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Phillip, sadly this thing fizzled pretty quick, the shim bank went missing after I sent it to Warchild.

Unpinning this thread now as I should have years ago, sorry for the tease.

Phillip, sadly this thing fizzled pretty quick, the shim bank went missing after I sent it to Warchild.

Unpinning this thread now as I should have years ago, sorry for the tease.

Man, I forgot to include the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Cams-HCSHIM04-7-...Type=motorcycle

It is a refill pack. Is this all I need?

BTW, fuckin' Warchild!

The problem is you won't know what size (thickness) you'll need until you've removed the cams and measured the existing shims. FWIW, when I did mine they were all in the 1.80-2.20 range, IIRC, so the linked set would have been useless to me. Perhaps others can share what sizes they ended up needing and we'll see a trend, but you really won't know for sure until it's apart.

I checked mine at about 40k miles and now have over 65k guess I am in need of checking them again. Might need to consider the shim thingy you speak of.... oh well guess ill buy a shim kit. :icon_rolleyes:

I don't know about anyone else, but the two Honda dealers here in Wichita didn't have squat for shims in my range, so they had to order some. Took me a couple of weeks to get the job done anyway. Glad I had a spare bike. If someone needs shims and I have the right size, I'll mail them the next day. A dealer won't get them any faster. Just say'n.