CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shim Bank

Redbird

Credit to JRed (oops, sorry, Red J) for the idea and the initial deposit.

Here's how it works-

I needed shims to ajust my valves. J was nice enough to send me some extras he had on hand. I'm done with them and will await the next person in need to PM me, at which point I will forward them. That person will then post here and then then hold onto them until the next guy needs them, and so on, and so on.

I also plan on sourcing a few new shims and "depositing" them. It was nice to be able to get the shims from a friend, ajust the valves and then worry about ordering a few new ones at my leisure.

With how often these bikes need valve ajustments this thread will probably just rot, but it may make a nice resource for someone someday.

This is a good idea. The LD riders forum has the same "shim bank". Basically you use what they have, deposite what you removed and replaced. If you have to pick up a 002 because there isn't one. Pick up 2 and drop the extra in. It's a good will plan really. The idea is not money savings but convenience for when you are up at 11pm doing your shims on a saturday night and you need a source of shims.

That's an excellent idea. I think it would also be good to have an inventory of

the number and size of shims that are in the bank at any given time, maybe an

Excel spread sheet, or just a simple text table, that the current "banker" keeps

updated and passes on to the next "banker" when the inventory is moved.

Redbird, do you happen to have the Shim Kit at the moment?

Looks like I'll be needing it soon.... now that the FJR is back on the road, I want to take the Blackbird down for a couple weekes to do HID lights and fork service.... and valve clearance check.

I haven't had to adjust any before, but now with over 70,000 miles on the odo, I bet a couple of them need adjustment this time... :?

Yeah, I've still got them. I have yet to add to them, but I'll catalogue what's here and post it up. Depending on what your time frame is I'll send off what I've got (it's only 15 shims at this point), or I can get off my ass an order a few and send you something more complete.

Yeah, I had found that, and while it is a great per shim price, it includes quite a few that will be useless to us. Also, not to be a dick, but I wasn't to hip on dropping $90+ with shipping all on my own.

If you guys want to go that route, I'll put up the first $35, if we can pull together $50-$60 beyond that we'll be set for awhlie. Otherwise my plan is to spend that $35 on individual shims in sizes the bank is presently lacking. At around $4-$6 per shim most places I've looked, that will obviously not add to the collection quite like the full kit.

I just threw it up for your consideration. . There are a couple of tunners close to me that i'm sure have lots of shims, and i imagine if i walked in and was real nice they would sell me just what i need. Since i only have 25000 km on my bike im not even planning on checking the valves for long while yet .

Herb

I want to take the Blackbird down for a couple weekes to do HID lights and fork service.... and valve clearance check.

I haven't had to adjust any before, but now with over 70,000 miles on the odo, I bet a couple of them need adjustment this time... :?

Dale; Didn't you just do the forks durning the Wilbers buy?

I suppose I should check my valve clearances, now at 22 k miles. Missed the 16k mark by a few.. :?

Okay, doesn't seem to be much interest in going for the full kit. I was at the dealer today picking up some fork oil so I said screw it and picked up a few. Here's what we have now-

190- 1

192-2

195- 6

198- 6

200- 2

202- 2

205- 1

208- 1

Thanx! I hope to do the inspection sometime this winter. Hope I don't need any but nice to know they are @.

Now it's out to the garage to install my new carbon fiber hugger! The family was so surprised to see that Santa left it for me. :D

db

normal_Web1%20hugger%20003.jpg

done

• 1 month later...
Well, now that I (thankfully) don't have to pull cams and adjust the shims, I'm ready to send the shim bank off to whoever needs it next.....

Dale, this is good to hear, 70K and your XX is still within tolerance?

My guess is that Honda has probably sold maybe a dozen shims Worldwide? :D

This shim bank is a good idea. To quote Tim, "this thread may rot"

This XX has a hellava good motor!!

Dale, this is good to hear, 70K and your XX is still within tolerance?

And not just "within tolerance"....... 15 of the 16 were still smack dab in the center of the spec range! :icon_cool:

The inboard exhaust of #3 cylinder was just a tiny bit tighter than the others, but still well, well within the range, so I'm not yanking the cams to mess with it,

Concur that this motor is one understressed, overbuilt bastard....

valvetrain.jpg

• 6 months later...

Thanx! I hope to do the inspection sometime this winter. Hope I don't need any but nice to know they are @.

Now it's out to the garage to install my new carbon fiber hugger! The family was so surprised to see that Santa left it for me. :D

db

IPB Image

done

Nice hugger, is it real carbon or an imitation (there are nice imitations around). Where can it be ordered?

• 2 months later...

So who has the bank now? I will need em once J. sends me a replacement head...of course i will put back what i take and possibly add more if required?

Last I heard Warchild had it. I PM'ed him about it a few weeks ago, but I didn't need any so I told him to never mind before he had a chance to look for it.

• 3 months later...