CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX LDR issues

GadgetDan

I've been looking to get an XX for some time now, and finally the finances have lined up with an electrical meltdown on my 99,400 mile Concours to allow the purchase. I thought I wanted a 2000, mainly because I wanted EFI, didn't want black, and wanted alalog gauges.

Today I test rode a 97 model, because that's all they had at the dealer. Took it for about 20 miles down the only curvy road in the area. NICE!

Observations:

Mirrors:

Fine for seeing the adjacent lanes, but useless for seeing what is right behind me. I had the LH mirror adjusted as usual, but had to turn the RH mirror in to watch behind me in my own lane after a handicapper in a full-size van surprised me. Has anybody found a good solution to this, like extended arms or spacers to stick them out another 2" or so? I think that would be enough, and that spacer could also be a good place to mount aux. lighting brackets.

Riding position:

Handlebars/clip ons: Not as extreme as I would have expected, though I will need to kick the bars up and back 1.5" or so to make it tolerable past the 500 mile day mark.

Seat: The seat seemed narrow, flat, and the rider section was too long. That little bump was a good 4" behind me. I see a custom saddle in my future, possibly a Russell Day-Long. The custom seat should allow me to push back another 1/2" from the tank, since I noticed my knees rubbing the fairing.

Power: It came on fast and strong. A quick pass made in 2nd sent me from 45 to the rev limiter REAL fast. I'm not used to that! I think this bike may have been geared down, since I could have sworn I was in 3rd. Who knows. One of my first reactions was that it revved like a MX bike with a 1/4 turn throttle, and that maybe a 1/3 turn throttle would make it easier to ration the speed. I don't see anything to fix here, not really. I need to adjust to the bike. A half hour wasn't enough time to get to know it properly, but enough time to know that I didn't want THAT particular bike.

Wind/bug protection:

The bike had a Zero Gravity titnted double-bubble screen that eliminated all turbulance but kept my head out in the breeze. Not ideal for touring, I'll check to see if AeroFlow makes a screen for the Blackbird like Gary Eagan uses on his Duc ST4. It may look a little funny, but it comes off pretty easy for normal riding. You can see Gary and his bike in almost any cycle magazine in his Avon (IIRC) tire advertisement showing off his NY to San Francisco speed record.

Hand protection: I was hit in the hands by several bugs and I think rain would be pretty nasty. Small plexi fairing extensions in this area would be very nice, anybody know of any?

That's about it for now. I've had good luck finding luggage parts on the web. The Beetle bags look nice, but they would be nicer if they stuck out 6" further to the rear and were another inch wider, to increase capacity. They should have done this at Corbin, then also incorporated fluch-mount signals. Maybe I'll make my own bags or just stick my Give E460s on it.

Suspension: Harsh. Maybe it's just this particular bike, but it kicked over small bumps. I have also read of others adjusting the ride height with a spacer. Some bikes use a new lower link to raise or lower the bike, and I've seen a link before that had several holes to make it adjustable in a few minutes. You could lower it for the track or raise it back up for the street. Anybody else seen this, or did I dream it? I do have access to machine tools, maybe that's the answer for me.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my long post. I would appreciate any replies to some of the specific questions above. Thanks again.

Oh I forgot in the above post, I didn't care for the tiny speedometer numbers, so I think I'm looking for a 2001 or newer now to get the big numbers on the digital display. Perfect for old(er) eyes.

Hey, 33 is old on some planets!

Well, lots of the answers are to be found here and on the main site. Suspension, bars, etc.

On the mirrors, if they're uneven I would suspect that the bike has been down and the fairing subframe bent. I'm battling this now myself. We also talked about spacers, someone was going to make a prototype, but it hasn't happend. I guess I need to just go get it done.

The wind protection with the Givi screen is good. Rain does hit your hands a little, but not full force. There's a measure of protection which is obvious if you move your hands away from the bars at speed. If you move the bars though, that will change. Someone had made some clear fairing winglets a while back, but I don't recall whether I got pics and instructions for the site. Look in the mods section.

First off Welcome! I do own a 2000, Titanium is best no matter what you might hear to the contrary.

Mirrors: I am in the process of making 1'' mirror extensions out of aluminum right now still getting the profile down. Once I get it down the first time, more will be a breeze.

Riding position: Heli bar makes aftermarket clip ons and some have found that VFR bars work well with minor modification and are much cheaper.

Seat: I have a corbin, and love the surface and materials, but like you said I have about 4'' behind where my ass actually sits, so custom cut would be better.

Power: This bike rocks. Get used to it. It will come.

Wind/bug protection: I think the most popular concensus here is Givi. They make a nice replacement screen.

Hand protection: GLOVES MAN!!! come on..

Suspension: Race tech srings and valves for the front, and pretty much your pick for the rear. I've taken 2 turns out of the stock compression setting, and actually need to go further to get the proper sag. I also put a couple fender washers under the top shock mount to raise the rear a bit. Quickened the steering a bit, and the front doesn't want to push as bad now.

Again Welcome, you've picked a winner, with the bike and this site. Anything you ever need to know about this bike you will find right here.

No, no, no.... don't buy Joe's bike, for two main reasons:

1) First and foremost, his is a blue bird, which, as we all know, is completely gay. gay.gif

2) You say you want a XX for Endurance Riding duties? Well, a Blackbird that is properly outfitted for hard-core Iron Butt duties would probably have these items installed:

- PIAA 910 Driving Lamps, mounted high and wide

- Dual 12v Jasteck-style connectors on either side of the pilots legs, each independately fused and relayed

- Widder electronic controller for these 12v outlets

- Osram (Sylvania) HID lamp system in the low beam

- Philips Vision Plus 55-watt in the high beam

- Sigma BC1200 cyclometer hard-wire to the front wheel

- Heli-Bars

- BMW hand grips - the LD Rider's best friend

- 5.0 gallon aux fuel cell, all-manual, gravity feed, 450+ mile range

- wired for a HUD display for your Valentine One

- Datel voltmeter to husband your 460-watt electrical system

- CUNT Box to control power consumption when it's cold and dark

- Electronic Hawkeoiler automatic chain lube system

- Scottoiler dual-tip dispenser connected to the Hawkeoiler system

- 1.0 gallon insulated water bottle to keep you hydrated crossing the desert

- HUD-placement of dual digital thermometer (reads ambient and road surface temperature)

- Ventura rack with 32-liter soft luggage

- Joe Rocket Sport Tankbag with map light

- LED dash lights to illuminate HUD components

- Jaw's crash 'Shrooms and Frame Plugs

- lightweight aluminum radiator guard

- Rick Mayer saddle

In other words.... you want to buy *this*:

3-4_installed.jpg

ASS_END_left.jpg

continentaldevide.jpg

So how serious are you about buying a rally-ready, Endurance Riding-prepped CBR1100XX Super Blackbird?

Private Message me, and let's talk.

Looks like you've already got some good advice, so I'll add something from another perspective:

Hey, 33 is old on some planets!

I've got socks older than that and Joe has got underwear older than that! Don't ask me how I know, I just do. :lol:

Just kiddin Joe, I'm sure that they aren't a day over 30

Dale and Joe,

I hope the only reason you're thinking about selling your bikes is so you can prepare yourselves to purchase a new 2004 1200cc BlackBird.

Joe

*sigh* Yes. :evil:

And the clincher was after test-riding the 2004 FJR1300ABS on Friday (see: http://tinyurl.com/he2p), then blasting through the desert 600 miles yesterday on the XX.... there's just no comparison.

The FJR is sweeeeeeet, mind you... but it's no Blackbird. Not by a long shot.

*sigh* ...fucking motocyclene...... what an insidious drug.... :evil:

Hey Gadget Dan, welcome to the list-I figured it'd only be a matter of time.

To the XX'ers, Gadget Dan is a regular SabMag listmember and "seasoned" rider (anybody who can hang with Phil Ross is entitled to that title). He'll be a nice addition to the forum and is capable of giving as good as he gets.

ObXX:

Helibars are available for the 'Bird, but you may want to ride a month or so before taking the $240 dollar plunge to see if you grow used to the position-that's what happened to me (got my SS1000 last May on a stock 'Bird). If the suspension seems harsh, check the sag numbers...I've found that since I've dropped some weight the setting for the rear shock feels like a hardtail now. You can adjust the preload settings using a long-ass Craftsman screwdriver and a hammer without taking off the rear plastic just fine. Might as well check to see what's been done in the forks as well,and order the Racetech springs for your weight at the same time (about $100 bucks, and well worth it).

I've been eyeballing the Corbin Smuggler saddle for mine, but I await Tracy getting gainful employment before I get my new toy.

Again-good to hear from you here.

Bryan...rode this morning, drinking now...