CBR1100XX.org Forum

Who wants proper-weight springs for the 900 shocks?

SwampNut

Are you interested in a spring?  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • Blow me
    • C. This option intentionally left blank
    • Hookers

I swung by a local spring manufacturer today. He can make us springs to spec, but buying just one or two would cost too much. He said it would be around $300 for setup and then around $40 per spring. So if we get 10 people together, that's only $70 per spring. Cheaper than the RaceTech which is way too soft.

Stock spring: 16.8 kg/mm

Recommended: 16.5 (210 pound rider, stock bike)

Stiffest available now: 16.0

I have the 16.0 on mine, and find it way too soft. With a passenger it will bottom out even with preload at max. The 900 shock has been a good improvement on the damping side, but the spring really needs to be stiffer.

Are you sure 16.5 is enough? In order to get the sag set properly with me on the bike, (180 lbs, 16.0 spring), I am at full preload, and have absolutely no static sag. The stock setting of 16.8 may work better.

I heard somewhere that Ohlins recommends a 17.3

Ohlins is really stupid about springs. I'm heartily unimpressed by the Ohlins-equipped bikes I've ridden. I'm open to other ideas on the weight though. Personally I'd be happy to go higher as it will work better with the bags. I thought the stock rate was fine.

On the Penske shock i bought, they put a 1300lb. spring on for my weight and riding style.  

That would come out to an 18.32 kg/mm spring.

You fixed your CAP LOCKS. WD-40 does work! :lol:

I have a Works ? spring. It's hard as a f'ing rock. I want to soften it up some. My ass jumps out of the seat when I hit a freeway bump.

I was lucky...It cost me nothing. :grin:

Actually I had the choice of two, a fellow instructor had a couple lying in his garage.(Sorry guys, once I told a fellow instructor with an XX about this, the other was snatched up quick.)

I was lucky...It cost me nothing. :grin:

Actually I had the choice of two, a fellow instructor had a couple lying in his garage.(Sorry guys, once I told a fellow instructor with an XX about this, the other was snatched up quick.)

On the stock shock, the shock body is threaded. You add or remove preload by adjusting the threaded washers (one adjusts, the other locks it in place) that sit on top of the spring. It may be easier to remove the shock before you try to adjust it. On a 900RR shock, you have a ramped collar that you can turn to add or remove preload.

How does the 900 shock disasemble to change the spring.....?

You compress the spring, then remove the 2-piece collar at the bottom of the shock that's held in place by the spring.

A five minute job with the proper tools. I used a shop press to do mine.

I am in, they better be good though I cant afford to have it not be right, hard enough to get a hunsky outta the old lady, but then to not have it be right.. oh man shit house for sure..