CBR1100XX.org Forum

'97 HID Upgrade Install (pics)

Obby

As for the oil, the '97 and '98 don't have any room to reach underneath the lower fairing. From what I've been told, the later models do??? Go figure :? .

Must be all that carbed shit taking up all that room :P :wink: :lol:

Yeah, so I'm hearing. I just lined up the notches till it fit in.

As for the oil, the '97 and '98 don't have any room to reach underneath the lower fairing. From what I've been told, the later models do??? Go figure :? .

K&N oil filters have a nut welded to the top of the filter. Think its 12mm. I never take plastic off or use a screwdriver to change oil on my '97. Couple of bucks xtra for the filter is well worth it IMHO.

How do you even get to the filter if you do not remove any of the plastics?

I put the bike on the center stand, get underneath best I can and slide the open end of the wrench up to the nut on the end of the filter. Once I've loosened the filter I wiggle a hand up till I can get it on the filter and unscrew. Granted there's not alot of room and it takes some maneuvering but its alot easier and quicker than removing plastic. Also I think if you have to use a screw driver to remove a filter your putting it on way too tight.

Must be all that carbed shit taking up all that room :P :wink: :lol:

Hey Will!

:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Guess I had that comming though :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Mikey... Ever hear of DRL (Daytime Running Lights)? GM seem to luv 'em. My Tahoe runs with the lights on whenever the vehicle is running and in gear.

Yah, but I'm refering to the headlights turning off and then back on with the starter. Doesn't seem to happen. The DRLs come on as soon as you pop the puppy in gear so it doesn't cycle they way our HIDs will when we hit the starter. That's all.

Yah, DRL is the law in Canada on new equiptment. I'm glad it is, I've gone out to pass and got surprised by idiots who think their grey vehicle in foggy haze is visable.

Hey Mikey... Ever hear of DRL (Daytime Running Lights)? GM seem to luv 'em. My Tahoe runs with the lights on whenever the vehicle is running and in gear.

My Silverado does the same thing, DRL are on whenever it's in gear. But....the headlights and daytime running lights are two totally different things, at least in the case of my truck, and most cars I see going down the road.

Jesus, Steve........if you and Nik ever got together to do oil changes you guys could really do some serious damage. :stickpoke: :D

I have a '97 as well but don't have to remove any plastics to do an oil change. I use a Honda cap-style filter wrench with a 3/8" drive ratchet with no trouble getting it in there whatsoever. It's a hell of a lot easier than jamming the screwdriver in there, that's for sure.

As for the HID igniting during start-up, I just happened to replace my right switch with a Euro version after my crash since it needed to be replaced anyway. It works great except that, at first, a few times during the day I've forgotten to turn the headlight on at all. Now, it's become habit to turn the light off before shutting the bike down and then making sure to turn it back on after start-up.

My Silverado does the same thing, DRL are on whenever it's in gear. But....the headlights and daytime running lights are two totally different things, at least in the case of my truck, and most cars I see going down the road.

OBS (Old Body Style) GM SUVs use the lo beam for the DRL...

the ballast itself only takes 12V in, only the ignitor is increasing the voltage 24,000 volts to ignite the xenon gas. there is no need to upgrade any of your stock wire.

Wire size is determined by voltage AND amperage. I do not know anything about the HID kits you received. When the ignitor first strikes the lamp, I would guess that the amperage is higher than with the stock bulb.

• 2 months later...

The HID ballast unit draws about 3.5 amps, HID bulb is 35watts.

The HID bulb is not connected to your stock wiring so the 35watts is of no bearing, the balast is, if the balast is rated at 3.5-4 amps then the ballast wattage is less than 48 watts.

I=W/V "I" being current so W = I X V

this being te case stock wiring will be fine

• 4 months later...

jUST A POINT FOR THOSE THAT HAVE INSTALLED hid WITHOUT USING RELAYS

soory for caps

The ballast draws a very heavy current on startup, this can damage your stock wiring, so it is important to use relays fed directly from the battery, I installed my HID today and used 2 relays, haven't tried them in the dark yet, one thing I did notice though is on initial switching on they are very very bright for a second then darken down, is this normal, also the was no identification on the bulbs so I'm not realy sure if what I got was what I ordered (4300) Also I like the idea that the light is constant regardless of revs

jUST A POINT FOR THOSE THAT HAVE INSTALLED hid WITHOUT USING RELAYS

soory for caps

The ballast draws a very heavy current on startup, this can damage your stock wiring, so it is important to use relays fed directly from the battery, I installed my HID today and used 2 relays, haven't tried them in the dark yet, one thing I did notice though is on initial switching on they are very very bright for a second then darken down, is this normal, also the was no identification on the bulbs so I'm not realy sure if what I got was what I ordered (4300) Also I like the idea that the light is constant regardless of revs

When you say "for a second" you mean "for an instant" right?? That "flash" is the arc starting... A welder does the same thing...

If you're turning it on and off enough to cook the factory wiring, yes you need a relay... Several of us have had them on for going on 8 months with no problems without a relay... and I'm a big fan of putting relays in, but I don't believe this needs it unless you're switching it on and off all the time (like using it for a high beam, which is really bad for the bulb to begin with).

MIke

I did this the other day for Hi and Low, no relays based on others past experience that this was not required. However, I start with low beam only and let that energize, then add the Hi beam.

I added HIDs to both Hi & Lo beams ('99). I put an in-line illuminated (red) toggle switch in the Lo beam (factory) wiring and mounted it on the lower dash facia trim, just below the speedo (at about 11 o'clock as you look past the ignition switch). In the "Off" position (dark), the headlight is off (key on). I start the bike in that mode - somewhat surprisingly, staring has become much improved - almost instantly. After I let it warm up a bit, I toggle the switch "ON" (it illuminates) and the HID Lo beam fires up. My voltmeter registers no drop in voltage. I'll not likely forget to activate the Lo beam because the illuminated switch is right in my field of view anytime I glance at the dash. The Hi beam HID activates via the stock switch.

So far - no problems whatsoever... :icon_cool:

I added HIDs to both Hi & Lo beams ('99). I put an in-line illuminated (red) toggle switch in the Lo beam (factory) wiring and mounted it on the lower dash facia trim, just below the speedo (at about 11 o'clock as you look past the ignition switch). In the "Off" position (dark), the headlight is off (key on). I start the bike in that mode - somewhat surprisingly, staring has become much improved - almost instantly. After I let it warm up a bit, I toggle the switch "ON" (it illuminates) and the HID Lo beam fires up. My voltmeter registers no drop in voltage. I'll not likely forget to activate the Lo beam because the illuminated switch is right in my field of view anytime I glance at the dash. The Hi beam HID activates via the stock switch.

When I turn my HID on it goes bright instantly then dulls for a few secs and gardually get to bright again, is this the way it is supposed to work ?

When I turn my HID on it goes bright instantly then dulls for a few secs and gardually get to bright again, is this the way it is supposed to work ?

When new the HID need to go through a burn in phase. If you're charging system is good, you should have no problems after a couple of hours run through them.

When new the HID need to go through a burn in phase. If you're charging system is good, you should have no problems after a couple of hours run through them.

+1... Obby has it right...

The "instant bright", slight dimming, and then "steady bright" is normal for HID... just enjoy the greater light and don't sweat it.

:icon_smile:

+1... Obby has it right...

The "instant bright", slight dimming, and then "steady bright" is normal for HID... just enjoy the greater light and don't sweat it.

:icon_smile:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS IT IS GOOD, ALMOST GOD LIKE, People know you are there because from a distance you are right behind, nice thing out in thailand is you have a bike that out shines the average pickup, they own the roads here but not any more COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, i love it.

HID is just hideous....................................i have scared people already, they pull over to let me past

love it........................but also it is safe here........more awareness