CBR1100XX.org Forum

Group buy on HID

StPeteXX

... advise how to tell which generation (2nd or 5th) a particular kit HID kit is..?

John01XX and I are trying to make that determination, but the 5000 kit in question seems to lack that info... the HID controller is marked 10R-021778.   Anyone with a 5000 kit have any info, or a similarly marked controller and accompanying documentation..?

I'd really like to know how the other guy (who sells competing HID products... :scratchhead: ) can identify the revision level from an image on the internet... Especially when every freakin' McCulloch kit I've seen images of LOOK THE SAME... There's no rev level or other markings on the ballast/igniter/bulbs that indicate a version/gen/rev level... Is he the Great Carnac or what? Do a search... All I've been able to find is problems due to incorrect wiring and an occasional mention of the mysterious Gen V, but no one seems to know how to identify it. Earlier failures were from '03 and I believe that McCulloch was still being "produced" in the US back then before the DOT started to put the kebash on aftermarket HID kits.

I would think that IF the Gen III was NFG and that it looks like that was almost 3 years ago, that the "bad" systems should be purged by now and that there would be a lot of crap on the internet about them... If anyone can find anything different, then I'm open to flaming on my search skills. :nana:

I think the guy just wants you to buy from him... So that HE gets the profit...

YMMV

I agree with you Ray,

Here is the email sent to ironmike from me about this as well:

The pictured kit that StPeteXX got is a kit that Rich (StPeteXX) split with me. We went halves on the first kit about a week before the group buy. It was installed today as my High Beam. A week later the group buy happened and the price was alot cheaper than the price StPeteXx and I paid (265.00) so we decided to buy another set and split it which was installed today as my Low Beam.  

The kit I am selling and the kit I received from the group buy and the original kit Rich bought and split with me that is pictured in the link are all the same !! They are all packaged the same as what is pictured.  

I don't know if there really is such a thing as generation 2 & 5 !  

Rich (StPeteXX) and I both now have installed HID from the two kits and both of us love them.  

So far noone has had a problem with any kits. knock on wood !!

I also wonder how anyone could tell a Gen.2 from a 5 by a picture :?:

I agree with you Ray,

I also wonder how anyone could tell a Gen.2 from a 5 by a picture  :?:

Here's a description of the guy who can...

"Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful that a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings at a single bound!"

"Look! Up in the sky!"

"It's a bird!"

"It's a plane!"

"It's - SUPERMAN!" "Yes, it's Superman - strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Superman! Who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!"

Both of mine said " Tensorlite" on the Box in the same colors and font as the McCulloch on the pics as the complete kit picture shown.

The comtents are exactly the same as the picture shows also.

I think they are all just left over private label packaging with the same contents.

I will be ordering a 6000K set now and will see if they are the same also.

. Earlier failures were from '03 and I believe that McCulloch was still being "produced" in the US back then before the DOT started to put the kebash on aftermarket HID kits. YMMV

What is this about the DOT putting the kabash on these kit?

. Earlier failures were from '03 and I believe that McCulloch was still being "produced" in the US back then before the DOT started to put the kebash on aftermarket HID kits. YMMV

What is this about the DOT putting the kabash on these kit?

Simply put, the DOT has banned aftermarket HID kits w/o the "appropriate" HID lense and housing. The problem is that many kits (the higher Kelvin bulbs in particular) produce quite a bit of glare to oncoming vehicles. A factory installed HID has a very distinct/sharp cut-off and the light is directed to where it is most needed. If you where to examine the light produced by many HID kit installations you would see what I mean. This problem is due to the reflector being designed for a specific halogen bulb's focal point.

Now, as for our 'Birds... The cut off on the low beam is very distinct/sharp... Almost as if the headlight assembly was designed for HIDs... Alignment/adjustment is crucial to avoid this. Warchild has an excellent writeup on alignment.

Oh, and of course I can't find the freakin' gubmint site that contains the exact verbage of the ban... That's why most of these kits are "for off-raod use only" and/or ar sold through offshore vendors.

Found an interesting way around the NHTSA/DOT ban...

http://www.sigmaauto.com/HID/x5kit.php

• 3 weeks later...
IS this all finished now?  

I am still trying to work out how to buy one and get it shipped here without pay pal.  

Any ideas?  

If he extends it again for another week, You can send me a check and I will buy a set for you on Paypal and have it shipped to your address for you.

Wish I had known you were wanting a set last week.

I also just ordered a set to sell here locally but they are the 6000K since the local squids want bling. I can sell them for 250.00 easy here.

If want a set of the 6000K I will sell them to you for the cost. They should be here by next Monday.

I have emailed him to see what he said. Done this more than once and not got a reply so maybe this time.

Still 185 dollar to Thailand then or a bit more? I never could work out if it was going to cost 5 dollars more of it was included cause at one point it was more then he was giving next day international shipping included.

Then the thread got to ten pages long and I got a bit confused. :roll:

• 1 month later...