CBR1100XX.org Forum

an Avon question not yet addressed.

kg4fku

I've been riding two up more recently and I am now looking for a new seat of rubbers. How do the Avons hold up with the extra weight of a pillion and gear (saddle bags and such). just wondering....

The set of Avon 35/36s that I had on mine until I replace them with the 45/46 combo lasted 6500 miles, and half of that was two up with my wife on the back. Granted, she only weights about 110lbs, soaking wet, and 120 or so with gear, they still gave me respectable mileage, I thought

I took the wife for about 150 miles ride yesterday and luggage :grin: , total extra weight about 150 Lbs. :shock: , I have no Intension of railing with the wife so I put 45 Lbs in the rear tire :) , runs cooler lasts longer and don't need the extra grip for a cruise :cool:

Harry

I ride with a passenger infrequently, so I can't say how they are long-term. They ride fine though. I did do an 800 mile trip through some hard twisties with a passenger once, and shredded an AV40 by power-sliding it out of corners. It was very smooth and predictable doing that even with a passenger.

I'm 2-up about 75% of the time now, and although tire wear is increased, it's definitely respectable.

I'm now at the point where I have to say good bye to my 36 rear, and 39 front, that have been with me for 9k front, and 6.5k rear.

The 39 front has developed minor cupping, approx. halfway from the center line to the edge of the tire, on both sides. This is a first that I know of, but to be expected of a softer tire, I suppose.

Still have no trouble scraping the pegs with or without passenger, and definitely without loss of grip.

I do find these tires are very sensitive to air pressure, though. The rear definitely feels and grips better around 38psi, with the front at 36. When I raise the front to 38 and the rear to 40, there is a noticeable loss in traction in a straight line, and deep in the turns.

Looks like I'll be spooning on a set of 45/46's within the next week.

I'm 2-up about 75% of the time now

Has DBLXX been coming up and riding pillion with you?????? :shock:

J/K, had to give you some grief since I almost never see you on the forum anymore.

Actually, we've learned a new method. He rests his head on the tank, and his ankles on the bars. That way, he can relieve me while I ride, eliminating the need to pull over and masturbate. :lol:

Poor Dave, he probably doesn't even know this thread exists............ :roll:

I'm almost sure that when he reads it, he will be embarrassed.  He's such a shy guy.

Yep, he's gonna be sooooo embarrassed that he's gonna have North's post printed on a T-shirt and wear it at work.

That our Dave :grin:

Hugo

Chris, have you checked your steering head bearings? I went through three AV39's at around 15k each and never saw any cupping at all.

I just replaced them this winter. When I went to remove them, they were barely hand tight, and replacing them solved the decel wobble I had before, but the tire has only started cupping in the last 2-3k or so. It's not bad now, but would be by the time I went through another rear tire.

I've also been using a lot more front tire, and have almost no chicken strips on it now. I just attributed it's abuse to riding aggressively 2-up. The cupping isn't in the center, but rather halfway between the center and the edge on both sides.

When solo, I can scrape the pegs without using the last inch of front tire. When we're 2-up, it uses almost the whole front tire to do the same riding.