CBR1100XX.org Forum

Halogen Lights

GerardoXX

You all know that the high beam is strong, but it is straight, has no fade to the sides, so when you are in a curve, the inside of the curve is blind, then I am looking for a couple of halogen light to help me light the road.

Anyone of you has used those small lights in your bike and knows where to buy them. Thanks

I think you right about the lighting on the xx. I can't see a damn thing. Even the instrument pannel is somewhat dim. I'm looking at upgrading my low-beam bulb from a 55w to a 100w. Hopefully that will do it.

I don't know about any aftermarket add-ons available. Anyone else install something custom?

If you want the best lighting available, go with a full HID kit.

It'll set you back $400, but the extra light is the difference between night and day (pun intended). :wink:

Proper HID requires a change in the reflector to properly utilize the HID. I don't know of a kit that will include the reflector. If you don't get a new reflector, don't bother.

If you want the best lighting available, go with a full HID kit.

It'll set you back $400, but the extra light is the difference between night and day (pun intended). :wink:

Several people have already done HID on the XX with fantastic results.

Absolutely correct. HID in the Blackbird's low-beam housing is nothing short of phenominal.

You know how some of you complain about how the low-beam pattern leaves you kinda blind in a corner (when the bike get's laid over?) That used to really bother me, but not anymore..... HID makes that a thing of the past.

But the true beauty of HID is how it completely illuminates the sides of the road and deep into the forest. This is a tremendous weapon to have in your anti-Bambi arsenal.

The HID lighting sounds very intriguing and the endorsements of it's effectiveness make it something to definitely look into. Anyone have a source or part numbers to help in further research into it? Thanks.

Jim

aka, VeloXXiraptor

I know a guy who has a pretty blue XX w/ shark teeth on it :wink: who has a HID setup. I've ridden in front of him at night.......(because black ones are faster) and that thing is wicked bright. I couldn't tell if MY headlight was working because his put off so much light!

Whoa!!! $400 for HID, too deep for me! That's 2 sets of tires.

If you put HID on the XX, won't the reflector still aim the light the same?

The origional complaint was no light on the road when cornering.

Has everyone played with the adjustment thumb wheels and aimed it higher?

From someone who comutes in deer country 30 miles 1 way at 10 PM it works fine. You just have to find that magic setting where it just doesn't blind oncoming traffic. I use Sylvania 55 watt Cool Blue's.

It is fun to corner and watch that low beam cutoff line go verticle. :grin:

Obby, you might want to check your chargeing system if your insturments seem dull.

Based on Warchild's advice, I purchased a Misterjung HID setup in my 97 last month. It is awesome. Misterjung.com has several different setups, including coloring and outputs. I went with the 5200 white, it puts out the most light and works great. When I turn oin the high beam I can see into the next county! It was around $330 and worth every penny to me. My riding buddies hate when we ride at night and I fall behind because they feel their headlights aren't working at all. Hopefully this helps...

Yes, there is a delay to acheive full brightness. But there is light as soon as you hit the switch. Once the light is turned off it only takes a minute or so to lose the operational heat, so it takes a few seconds to catch back up.

If you want to retain a 'flash to pass' feature, I would retain the stock high beam bulb, or upgrade to a 100 watt unit. There is also a trick strobe setup I am finalizing to conquer the flash to pass and keep the high HID beam. I will keep you all posted on my progress and take plenty of pictures.

Okay, note to self, when the warning on the strobe light package says 'don't touch the glass', DON'T!! I finally got the white stobe hooked up and looking good, then tested it out before final installation and buttoning up of the bike.....BAM!!! The little guy blew up! Just the glass on the strobe fortunately, and no damage to the headlight assembly itself.

I still don't have a link to post my pictures from, so I'll try to explain what I did. In the headlight assembly, there is a circle at the bottom of the light where the high beam is. This circle looks like a punch out of some sort. There is an access plug beneath it on the nose fairing, the little square black thing.

I mounted an ultra-small (about 3/4 inch tall) mini-strobe in that circle, inside the headlight assembly. Mounted the power supply beneath the headlight assembly and a push button on the headlight switch, above the high-low beam switch.

Here was my idea, the need to pass arises so I tap and hold the switch, this fires the strobe at something like 4 flashes a second, and make my move. Well everything looked good and fit nice and snug. When I tested it thought, it got about 8 flashes in and then it made a REALLY bright light and popped. All I could conclude was there must have been oil, moisture, dirt, etc on the glass somehow.

I used everything that was made for that light, the power supply came in the same box, and was meant to be used with that bulb, so it wasn't an output issue. I even wore latex gloves throughout the install to keep the headlight assembly nice and sterile. Is it possible the latex affected the bulb when I handled it? I didn't molest the little guy, I barely touched it. Anyone have experience with strobe installs?

I ordered another bulb from Galls, so I'll try again next week. The setup is pretty cheap and in theory will be very effective. Around $50 for a single mini setup. They have a variety of colors, I would stay with white though so some gray hair doesn't crash thinking the po-po is behind her.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.