CBR1100XX.org Forum

How do you clean your chain?

Obby

Silly question I guess.... but what the hell. What is the best way to clean you chain without removing it?

Some say they use Gunk, WD-40, Kerosene. Any other bright ideas out there?

-Obby

I put mine on the centerstand, get the WD-40, put the little red tube in the can, and go to town. Put a drain pan under her to catch the drips and spray away from the back tire...works good enough for me...

85W synthetic oil dispensed manually via my hawkeoiler, my chains go about 25k until getting noisy :D and then getting replaced.

I clean mine by applying more chain lube on top of all the old chain lube.
:stupidsign:

+2

Then I use WD40 to clean all the chain gunk from the rim/rear end. :wink:

I clean mine by applying more chain lube on top of all the old chain lube.
:stupidsign:

+2

Then I use WD40 to clean all the chain gunk from the rim/rear end. :wink:

+3

I spray wd-40 in a cloth and wipe the chain, just the outside so the gold is purty.

Then I spray honda chain lube on it.

Scottoiler.

I had 57k miles on the rear sprocket, no wear, was only on my 2nd chain.

I clean my chain, once in a while, just because, with Honda Polish.

when it gets dirty I touch it up with some silver spray paint. Makes it look brand new. Be careful of the overspray though and make sure it's dry before you take off. I'm thinking about trying gold spray paint next for the bling bling look. Or maybe chrome paint.....

Cleaning the chain I found in south africa is bit different. i don't know if the chain wax is the same all over the world, but here we seem to get the really shitty products.

The wax doesn't last long, and becomes very sticky.

There are 2 easy ways to clean the wax of the rim and also the chain.

Cheap Version:

1 or 2 cans of Doom (this is a bug spray) - seems to take the wax right off with one wipe. + a hell of a lot cheaper than the wax removal products available...

Better version:

Parafin - This is fairly cheap, and goes a long way. Use a squirt bottle for this and spind the wheel. Please wear eyewear - old wax and gunk flies off the chain pretty quickly, and don't smoke while you're doing this, parafin is extremely flamable....

Speaking from experience, just make sure what ever you use to clean your chain with is O-ring safe. I just recently used some old paint thiner I had laying around, and guess what...not o-ring safe. :roll: I am getting that red dust all over my rear end now, a sure sign my chain isn't going to last much longer.

I know, stupd, stipud, stoopid :(

This is turning out to be a funnier thread than I expected. Thanks for the suggestions folks. The reason I asked is that one of my links is kinked and starting to bang around when riding. I was hoping to clean and lube it really well to see if I can get some more life out of it. Damn chain cost ~$160.00 bucks to replace as you all know :(