CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spiegler Lines (problems... now with photos)

XXBIRD

I'll be doing mine this weekend. Glad mines a 2000 :)

I did a quick glance at the rotors and didn't see any directional arrows. Is there a left and right or are they universal?

I did a quick glance at the rotors and didn't see any directional arrows. Is there a left and right or are they universal?

Ask Randy. He would know. When he cannot find his keys for the disc lock, he takes them off and puts another set in a hurry... :lol::lol::lol:

Look closer, they're there. Small arrow on the rotor itself, not the carrier.

This is on my '01, keep in mind, but they should be the same part as your '99

On the ABM's?

On the ABM's?

No, not the ABM rotors. IIRC, they are universal; doesn't matter which side you mount them on:

Ti_bolts.jpg

Warchild - Was your speed bleeders longer than stock?

I didn't order Speedbleeders (my MityVac already makes changing fluid a snap), although I did test-fit several for Spiegler to ensure we got the right versions. Only my rear caliper required the two longer speedbleeders (SB8125LL); the front calipers and the clutch took the shorter SB7100S speedbleeder.

According to what Ruhi is finding, it appears as it Honda changed the bleeder size in the later model years (why, I couldn't even guess). But then, they changed a couple of components in the LBS system in the last few years (note that somewhat recent Secondary Cylinder Recall for '01 and later 'Birds)

Hi, I have not installed my kit yet. After reading Dale's last post, that the 01 models and later have some differences, does that mean my 2003 will have problems with the parts I received? I have read of several people on this group buy that have had problems so far.

Hi, I have not installed my kit yet. After reading Dale's last post, that the 01 models and later have some differences....

Careful now; I said they *appear* to have some differences. I haven't studied the '01-'03 bikes close enough to say for an absolute fact.

With regard to installing these lines, the only significant difference that I have seen between the '00 and earlier 'Birds, and the '01 and later 'Birds, is that Honda uses a different Delay Valve. This newer one has a "protrusion" on the outboard side (this is the protrusion that Ruhi had to grind down):

delay_valve_portrusion.jpg

To answer your question, you shouldn't have any install problems unless you ordered Speedbleeders. If so, looks like you might have to send a couple back, depending on what your setup is.

Otherwise, this installation is an exercise in patience and tests your ability to look at all aspects of the brake line before trying to install it. Be mindful that if you encounter a line you believe surely can't be correct, try envisioning how it might fit if you were to reverse the ends, knowing that you can turn the fittings 360-degrees to ensure a non-twisted, stress-free fit.

As I've mentioned a couple times, installing these lines is not necessarily a trivial task, particularly if you've never done this type of work before.

Thanks Dale,

I know you went to a lot of work to set up these group buys for us and to document of the installation. I think we got a very good price on this stuff, I do not believe I would have bought new brake lines and suspension if this group buy did not happen. I would just like to say I appreciate your efforts!

I am going to wait for the Wilber’s shock to get to me and plan to do everything at once including a spark plug change. I have a mighty vac bleeder so the speed bleeders issue is not a big deal.

:D

I have an 02 and titghtened all the bolts on the manifold before mounting it and I didn't end up have to shave the nub off! The line going on the right side caliper to the manifold was a bit snug, but after reading Ruhi's post, and speaking to Matias with Spiegler, I'm convinced I can put a little stress on the line without a worry.

In terms of routing there is no way to route exactly the same as stock on a number of lines as many stock lines used flexible as well as hard lines in a single run. I feel pretty comfortable with routing so it looks the best without friction contact.

The speed bleeders are a pain as I received 5 of the M7x1.00 and 2 of the M8x1.25. I needed all M8x1.25. I used the ones I had ont he rear and will replace the others someday down the road once I get them swapped for the right ones.

Chris