CBR1100XX.org Forum

What's the deal with the 1st to 2nd clunk?

Two4One

I noticed this from the time I bought my XX two weeks ago. The 1st to 2nd shift is very harsh unless I granny it. I seem to get

an extra little "grind" in there a lot. I always make sure I preload the shifter before shifting to 2nd gear. I have tried every possible combination of clutch, throttle, no clutch, etc. It doesn't do it every time but it drives me nuts! The reason being my 1000RR and my ACE both shift extremely smooth between 1 and 2 compared to the XX.

Over the weekend I changed over to AmsOil 20W50 full synthetic to see if this would help and it didn't one bit.

I just want to make sure I'm not alone with this. If it's a normal characteristic, I can live with it knowing I'm not crushing gears every time.

Thanks!

Guest rockmeupto125

Try running it up quickly to 8 grand, pull up on the shift lever, notch the throttle back an eighth of a turn and then applying full throttle as fast as you can.

Works smoothly for me.

I have a '99 model with Amsoil 10-40w and it shifts with a very small "clunk" from first to second, but never a "grind". I feel my "clunking" is more operator error than anything else (I don't shift without the clutch). 20-50w may be a little thick but I don't think that's the cause...sorry I'm not much help.

Well, "clunk" and "grind" can be interchanged I suppose. Depends on the situation and your use of the word.

So you're going clutchless rockmeupto125? I think I've been spoiled by the 1000rr, that thing is like butter compared to the XX.

Are my findings normal though?

I put 20W50 in for the summer. I needed to change the oil to ease my mind since I don't know what the previous owner/dealership did with it.

Well I don't agree that it would make that much of a difference but curiosity will get the best of me eventually. Not trying to argue but based on prior experience the 20w has been fine???

Keep in mind, I had this problem BEFORE I changed the oil also.

My CBR1000F seemed to shift the same but not as loud, I think the aluminum frame on the XX amplifies it, may sound strange but the bikes I had with a lot of drivetrain lash shifted smooth and bikes like the XX and CBR1000f with very little drivetrain lash shift more clunky in the 1st to 2nd shift. My GS1150Es shifted snatchy, clunky, after undercutting the gears, most noticable at low revs. All the bikes I've had with large clutches and transmissions shifted more harsh than the smaller bikes.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Sounds like it's just a characteristic of the bike. I can handle that if it's the case. I was just a tad nervous since I did buy this bike used....ya' never know.

Thanks again!

The 1st, 2nd clunk is a characteristic of the 'Bird. To minimize the clunk, hold in the clutch 2-3 seconds, then shift into 1st. Sometimes its quieter, sometimes it's not.

*nod* I hear the clunk but it never bothers me. Sometimes its there, sometimes it isnt. Sometimes its louder than others, sometimes its barely audible. So, no you arent alone. I noticed that my clunk seemed to be less likely when I switched to the Syn blend in the bird.

20/50 is a tad thicker, so when the bike is cold or just warming up you may notice that more often than you would when the bike warms up and the oil has thinned out.

Becuause you're going through neutral it feels the worst.

Just give it a firm, full, quick pull on the shifter and it will minimize it.

From what I remember my V 65 Sabre felt about the same, I thought all Hondas shift the same.

Try running it up quickly to 8 grand, pull up on the shift lever, notch the throttle back an eighth of a turn and then applying full throttle as fast as you can.

Works smoothly for me.

applying full throttle as fast as you can?

Joe, that's funny :lol::lol::lol:

little tug on the bars helps too.

Guest rockmeupto125
does'nt your front wheel leave the ground when you do this?

Fuck yeah. Keeps my mind off the transmission problems I'm having. :twisted:

Seriously, :oops: . Maybe I should have said "near full throttle." :oops:

does'nt your front wheel leave the ground when you do this?

Fuck yeah. Keeps my mind off the transmission problems I'm having. :twisted:

Seriously, :oops: . Maybe I should have said "near full throttle." :oops:

Still chuckling :lol:

Have a good day Joe.

MY BIKE STANDS UP TO ALMOST 12 OCLOCK WHEN I DO THIS !!

I LOVE THE KEY IS HOW FAR TO RIDE THE WHEELIE AND SHIFTING WHILE WHELL IS IN AIR SO MUCH FUN TILL COPS SEE YOU

THEN PREPARE FOR THE CHASE...LOL

Well, "clunk" and "grind" can be interchanged I suppose. Depends on the situation and your use of the word.  

So you're going clutchless rockmeupto125? I think I've been spoiled by the 1000rr, that thing is like butter compared to the XX.  

Are my findings normal though?

I put 20W50 in for the summer. I needed to change the oil to ease my mind since I don't know what the previous owner/dealership did with it.

I adjusted the balancers and mine stated to shift way better!! read the manual and it will explain! :) Hope this helps