CBR1100XX.org Forum

how to lower '99 blackbird?

flexzan

Dont do anything drastic guys. 4-6mm max.

I'm wondering mainly on how to lower the front, and where i can get the stuff i need to do so? thanks.  

No disrespect intended! but If your asking a question like this, you really shouldn't be working on your bike. Take it to someone who knows what there doing.

I'm wondering mainly on how to lower the front, and where i can get the stuff i need to do so? thanks.

No disrespect intended! but If your asking a question like this, you really shouldn't be working on your bike. Take it to someone who knows what there doing.

Well, there's a difference between asking what has been successful for others and asking with no idea whatsoever. If the latter, you're entirely correct, but you could cut him a little slack in case it's the first.

Well, there's a difference between asking what has been successful for others and asking with no idea whatsoever.  If the latter, you're entirely correct, but you could cut him a little slack in case it's the first.

It sounds like the later to me, read how he asked! Any one with knowledge about working on bikes wouldn't ask "How do I do it and what do I need to do it."

I was actully also considering doing this to my bike but only for use at the strip. So I want to be able to raise and lower it in 10 mins max with nothing more then a wrench. I thought about straping the front but I looked today at the frame and it looks like there is a brake line right there where I would need to put the strap. Has anyone successfuly used a strap. Also to lower the rear I will be buying an adjustable dog bone.

I use a strap and fully adjustable dogbone on mine. Put the strap under the lines behind the steering head. I leave my strap on the bike all the time and a wrench for the rear link. Never know when the need arises.

No disrespect intended! I was asking for advice not a preacher. Some of us have better things to do then hover around a motorcycle 24/7 figuring out how to be a "know it all" for a bike. And lowering the front isn't exactly something that you can screw up and never correct. Thanks for the help!

Also in case you can't tell i don't know how to put your quote in a little white box above my response. Maybe you can help me figure that out to.

Hit the quote button in the upper right corner, or cut and paste the verbage you want.

If you cut and paste, press the quote box in the above command line. then hit CTRL 'V'; type your worthless blather, and then hit quote again. :lol:

Oh, and don't FUCK with Randy, as he is a Blackbird GOD!

:lol::lol::lol:

No disrespect intended! I was asking for advice not a preacher. Some of us have better things to do then hover around a motorcycle 24/7 figuring out how to be a "know it all" for a bike. And lowering the front isn't exactly something that you can screw up and never correct. Thanks for the help!

Well, yes it is. If you drop the front too much without dropping the rear you seriously change the bikes steering geometry, which can lead to stablity issues- as in headshake and "tankslappers". Clearance can also be an issue, whether it be clearance from the ground in corners or potential interference of parts that weren't meant to be that close to eachother. A person ignorant of these consequences (as you seem to be) mucking about with the front end can hurt themselves, thus Randy's warning.

If you have better things to do that investigate the potential ramifications of modifying the suspension on your motorcycle, cool, but I'd suggest you either educate yourself quick, or pay someone who doesn't enjoy such a busy lifestyle to perform the work. At this point you're obviously playing about with something you don't have a full grasp of.

Guest rockmeupto125

Jeepers, guys. He came here for advice, not grief.

Flex....

Put a floor jack and a block of wood under the headers and raise it until they touch.

Loosen the upper triple clamp hex head bolts. Loosen the lower triple clamp standard drive bolts. Slowly lower the floor jack while tapping or twisting the fork tubes....they will rise up out of the triple clamps, effectively lowering the bike. When the bike is low enough for you, slightly tighten one of the hex head bolts, or stop the floor jack's slow descent. Then tighten the lower clamp bolts to 36 foot pounds, and the upper clamp hex head bolts to 17 foot pounds. You'll need to decide whether to leave your control bars at that level, or lower them to meet the triple clamp. As always, with any modification, you should check closely that clearances with other parts of the motorcycle are not compromised, and realize that suspension modifications or adjustments can cause instability of the motorcycle at some or all speeds and situations of operation.

Let us know how you make out. There is a for sale section available where you can sell parts, or make a request to buy things you need.

When I do it, I'd like to lower the seat height by 1". How much should I shorten the shock to do this (im guessing less than 1 inch..)? What is the shock-to-bike ratio on height adjustment? Ie, if I adjust the shock .5 inches and it lowers the seat height by 1 inch, the ration would be 1-2.

I am guessing I would then lower the tripples by 1 inch as well to keep the bike level and perform as usual?

Also thanks for posting the torque measurements, rockme.

I'm lowering a 600rr for someone who is height challenged, I ordered a rear link to lower the back 1" and I'll drop the front end 30mm (5mm raise in forks vs stock) to level out the bike. Then play with it from there adding or dropping it a few mm.

Lowering Link link

You can get a lowering link to drop the bike 1 or 3 inches. I used an adjustable link before with almost catistophic results. The eye bolt broke into. Had I been in a corner when it went, I prolly wouldn't be here now. The rear tire slammed into the undertail/subframe. 1 in ch drop in rear equals 25mm rise in forks.

Well, yes it is. If you drop the front too much without dropping the rear you seriously change the bikes steering geometry, which can lead to stablity issues- as in headshake and "tankslappers". Clearance can also be an issue, whether it be clearance from the ground in corners or potential interference of parts that weren't meant to be that close to eachother. A person ignorant of these consequences (as you seem to be) mucking about with the front end can hurt themselves, thus Randy's warning.

If you have better things to do that investigate the potential ramifications of modifying the suspension on your motorcycle, cool, but I'd suggest you either educate yourself quick, or pay someone who doesn't enjoy such a busy lifestyle to perform the work. At this point you're obviously playing about with something you don't have a full grasp of.

You need common sense huh, no shit

Jeepers, guys.  He came here for advice, not grief.

Flex....

Put a floor jack and a block of wood under the headers and raise it until they touch.

Loosen the upper triple clamp hex head bolts.  Loosen the lower triple clamp standard drive bolts.  Slowly lower the floor jack while tapping or twisting the fork tubes....they will rise up out of the triple clamps, effectively lowering the bike. When the bike is low enough for you, slightly tighten one of the hex head bolts, or stop the floor jack's slow descent.   Then tighten the lower clamp bolts to 36 foot pounds, and the upper clamp hex head bolts to 17 foot pounds.  You'll need to decide whether to leave your control bars at that level, or lower them to meet the triple clamp.  As always, with any modification, you should check closely that clearances with other parts of the motorcycle are not compromised, and realize that suspension modifications or adjustments can cause instability of the motorcycle at some or all speeds and situations of operation.  

Let us know how you make out.  There is a for sale section available where you can sell parts, or make a request to buy things you need.

Thanks, its nice to see that there is somebody on here that can help!

See i thought you had to get like a kit for the front. I was browsing this motorcycle performance shop one day, and they had a lowered Hayabusa and i got on it and i could touch the ground with my whole foot,(on my XX im like tippy toed when totally vertical) so i asked one of the guys at the shop how i lower the front on my bike and he said something about a spacer i have to put in between the handle bars. So this is the first i've inquired about since, thanks again.

You can get a lowering link to drop the bike 1 or 3 inches. I used an adjustable link before with almost catistophic results. The eye bolt broke into. Had I been in a corner when it went, I prolly wouldn't be here now. The rear tire slammed into the undertail/subframe.

Maybe you should go to a professional so you don't get yourself hurt.

Guest rockmeupto125

You've got a way with words, flex, and a manner that makes people just want to bend over backwards to help you out.

Good luck if you plan to stick around here........you'll need it.

You need common sense huh, no shit

Flexzan Dude, its alittle more than common sense. I dont mean to "PREACH". I would hate for someone to mess with a bike then the first corner you go into, you lowside, highside or run off on the exit of a corner and get hurt, because you messed up the geometry of the bike. You seriously should take the bike to someone who knows what there doing. Its not hard to do what your asking, but the ramifications of doing it wrong are quite severe. If not, then have fun and good luck.

You can get a lowering link to drop the bike 1 or 3 inches. I used an adjustable link before with almost catistophic results. The eye bolt broke into. Had I been in a corner when it went, I prolly wouldn't be here now. The rear tire slammed into the undertail/subframe.

Maybe you should go to a professional so you don't get yourself hurt.

Look you little phucktard, were trying to give you good information. Go and drop the front end yourself. When you fall and injure yourself or god forbide someone else. Dont come crying here.

You've got a way with words, flex, and a manner that makes people just want to bend over backwards to help you out.  

Good luck if you plan to stick around here........you'll need it.

Thanks, i just don't take shit from anyone, especially from people who wouldn't say something to my face if they saw me, yet have no problem running there mouth on a computer.