CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gas Cap Lock Sticking

XXTi

I damn near twisted my key off trying to get my gas tank open yesterday. :evil: I put some graphite in the lock a few months ago and it's worked OK until yesterday. Anyone have a better lube suggestion?

I'd also like to get another OEM style key, but I can't seem to find a blank anywhere. Am I going to have to go to the local Stealer?

I sometimes see the blanks on Ebay, I went to the stealer and paid 10$ for the blank, then had to go to the locksmith and pay 1.50$ for him to cut it. :x

We've had a few ignition switches do this, can't remember a gas cap.

Try sticking the key in the other way or try your other key. The tumblers only read one side, but key is cut on both sides so it can go in either way.

With use the key peaks can wear and not engage properly.

I use (CLP Break Free) for all my lube needs. You can get it at Wal-Mart in the same area as the guns. It is made for use on guns but I have discovered it works very well on anything, much better than WD-40. In Gun test magazine they tested it against many other lubes and it ranked the best and showed very good rust resistance on blued firearms. It is worth a try IMO.

My $ .02

Mike

My gas cap sticks all the time too.

its annoying. I bend a key once trying to get it open. (won't do that again)

now I just click it back down, open it, click it back down repeatedly until it comes loose.

My cap sticks as well.

Another BB owner told me his cap used to stick but he thought it was the rubber seal around the cap. He lubed it with something (?), it fixed the problem, so he's convinced that it was in fact the seal.

Haven't lubed MY seal yet cuz graphite in the lock fixes MY problem (for awhile) so I'm convinced its NOT the seal but the lock.

This same bullshit happend to me all the time about a year ago. Damn near twisted a key in half trying to get the friggen gas cap open. I finally fixed it by slightly adjusting the position of the cap assembly within the tank.

Try loosening the cap assy w/an allen wrench, moving it slightly until the lock opens easily, and retighten. Worked for me. My cap hasn't jammed since.

Try loosening the cap assy w/an allen wrench, moving it slightly until the lock opens easily, and retighten. Worked for me. My cap hasn't jammed since.

Nik, if you do this, remember, you have to tighten the bolts really-really tight. :lol:

Nik, if you do this, remember, you have to tighten the bolts really-really tight.

I'll throw a breaker bar on the end of the allen wrench!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I fixed mine with spray Rem-Oil gun lube. It's been working fine since then. I think I probably used too much graphite in it.

Marine hardware store "Corrosion Block" spray can, best stuff lasts

a long time mush better that WD40 and others that evaporate in short time.

I use it on cable ends,switch gear, spray top of forks under triple Tree and let it run down, also ignition key slot, wire connections, nuts bolts.

Any where you would spray WD 40 but it stays active much longer.