CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire repair

scubajohn

Well it could be worse at least I got a little over 700 miles on the avons before a flipping nail decided it wanted to fuck my rear! And ya I mean rear tire you pervs!

So I get to work and see the big shinny nail stuck in my tire and think Well its in the thickest part and right in the center of the tire is it my lucky day. Get some pliers and PULLLL HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Nope not my lucky day :( So I hit up napa autoparts and plug it. So is it safe to use like this ? I dont do triple digets very often and now with the plug doubt I do at all. I know the best plan of action would be a new tire but damn flushing 150 down the drain sucks!

So other than a new tire should I remove tire patch the inside. Run the plug and forget about it? Put a tube in it ? is a tube an option ?

Thanks again

If you're going to keep it, get it patched from the inside. Riding long term on a plugged tire is asking for trouble. Many years ago I had a plug let go when I was cruising along at about 90mph with a buddy on the back (young and stupid, those were the days :twisted: ). Not fun :shock:

This comes up every so often, and there's several opinions. I myself would replace it. It's not that I have money to burn on new rubber, it's just piece of mind on a bike as fast and powerful as the XX. But if you rarely see triple digits, a proper patch, inside the tire would probably be fine.

Just my $.02 :)

I've run "patched from the inside" Avons and Sportecs both at velocities and for duration...if it's patched properly, you'll run it to the cord and never have a problem. You will, however, have to pop the tire off the rim, patch it, and remount it yourself, since nobody wants the legal liability of you riding on a tire they patched.

Bryan...ain't so tough to do...

The only hard part of removing the rubber for me would be re balance of it after I get it back on the rim. If I just mark the rim and tire will it be close enough ? or will the weight of the patch and glue throw off the ballance ?

ScubaJohn, I checked out their website too, and it appears that the roadhazard warranty might only be for our counterparts that are across the big pond. It also talks about a "certificate" being issued after installation of the tire (or tyre) for our counterparts. :lol:

Hopefully Avon will offer the same thing to us, here in the good ole USA. Although the first millimeter is not much mileage, it better than a hot poker in the eye..... :shock:

Ah well at least its a start :)

avon calling ehehheh this is there email back to me

John,

Thanks for your e-mail.

I will pass your enquiry concerning the operation of our Road Hazard warranty to our North American sales office who will contact you with the details you need.

Best regards

Clive Jones

Inta-Moto Ltd.

Tel +44 [0] 1249 705916

GSM 07787 501511

e-mail clive@intamoto.com

If you're going to keep it, get it patched from the inside. Riding long term on a plugged tire is asking for trouble. Many years ago I had a plug let go when I was cruising along at about 90mph with a buddy on the back (young and stupid, those were the days :twisted: ). Not fun :shock:

This comes up every so often, and there's several opinions. I myself would replace it. It's not that I have money to burn on new rubber, it's just piece of mind on a bike as fast and powerful as the XX. But if you rarely see triple digits, a proper patch, inside the tire would probably be fine.

Just my $.02 :)

If you go over 90 on a regular basis (which I am assuming everybody does here), I'd replace it too, warranty or not (but warranty is much better :grin: ).

Hugo

PS: I helped a guy pick up his bike after he crashed because of a failing plug (at 65 mph and it was quite impressive).

PPS: did you know that Dunlop waives the speed rating of any bike tire that has been repaired? They say no speed over 85 mph.

Our law permits 1 repair to a tyre provided the hole is in the treaded part ( i.e. no sidewall repairs), the carcasse is not damaged and the hole is <2mm. Having said that, a lot of dealers won't do repairs at all and some manufacturers officially state that tyres should not be repaired.

FWIW I had a spate of punctures a couple of years ago when I owned a VTR1000. I had no problems with plugs (fitted/glued from the inside, not DIY repairs). I tend not to spend much time above 100mph (solo, no luggage) but used all the acceleration below that. I'd use a plug in the XX if the dealer was prepared to fit it using the guidelines above.

I have never had a problem with an internal patch, but many with the simple plugs. I don't know any place that will patch a tire, so I have them take it off, I go outside and patch it out of sight, and bring it back to re-mount.

well knock on wood looks like I have a good shot at a free replacement :) talked to Avon and parts411.com today and both said no problem. I am visiting them today with the bike so they can check use and fill out the claim form :)

So I will know soon! :)