CBR1100XX.org Forum

My house project

tvking

Nice work Todd. As for the Stainless steel..try using Lemon Pledge furniture polish, then a clean soft cloth.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Because...

You do great work, inspiring really, I love to see it.

Actually I was just showing my wife the random blue tiles in the shower picture, again, since we are in the middle of doing a semi-bathroom remodel job.

Fixing the grout lead to... taking out drywall, which lead to a newer tub, etc.

• 1 month later...

Right now I'm trying to finish the elevator. It's one of those projects that got far enough along that it was functional, so I moved on to other things........

Looking back through the thread I see very little mention of the elevator so I'll try to bring you up to speed.

A real residential elevator is at least $20k. Early on I realized that wasn't in the budget so I had to get creative. I bought a used pallet stacker. It's basically a forklift without the truck part. Once a pallet is lifted you'd have to push it around.

Getting it in the basement was a job in itself, but we managed not to break anything or anyone.

5847431170_97f5de0529_z.jpg

Lift 043 by tvking63, on Flickr

Before it made it to the basement I had to make sure it worked.....

5847427834_2954070bc3_z.jpg

Lift 029 by tvking63, on Flickr

Here is a video from very early on in the process.

Here it is a bit further along. The plywood it temporarily attached but later I welded a frame onto the forks to support the platform.

5846874949_7c77248512_z.jpg

zr 005 by tvking63, on Flickr

All along my intent was to make it look as much like a real elevator as I could. So I welded up some square tube to make a frame to form an elevator "car".

5847416626_1cc97dcb5a_z.jpg

AAA 156 by tvking63, on Flickr

5847418260_42c97ae7fb_z.jpg

AAA 161 by tvking63, on Flickr

5847434876_294de230dc_z.jpg

001 by tvking63, on Flickr

Since it is just me, I decided to forgo doors and all the safety interlock crap. I could have had door with jam switches ect so it would only work when everything was just so but I'm glad I didn't. It's so much faster and convenient this way and I could add the interlocks later if my situation changes.

I did make it so when the elevator it down, the top of the elevator car is level with the floor upstairs. And it's covered with 3/4 ply so you can walk out on to it. In fact, that's how I get in the attic. I put the access in the elevator shaft, so I roll onto the top of the car and raise myself up. :icon_biggrin:

Here is the limit switch I used to make it stop level with the top floor. I also had to use a pulley to keep the wiring for the button synced with the lift as it goes up and down.

5847035985_fbbc13c1ee_z.jpg

AAA 194 by tvking63, on Flickr

So now on to current stuff. I'm finally getting around to finishing the elevator car. The color of the panels I'm using is Butterscotch Suede. :icon_biggrin: Because of the frame design I had to add some blocking in place to have something to mount the panels to.

5847603588_2a98970776_z.jpg

040 by tvking63, on Flickr

I split the back and left panels to make them easier to remove so the the electrics are accessible if need be. There will be trim of some sort to cover the seam, but haven't decided what yet. Maybe brushed aluminum?

5847049381_c7f16194f2_z.jpg

039 by tvking63, on Flickr

I'm also working on the floor. I found some prefinished maple flooring that similar to what's in the rest of the house. Because of the movement I decided to glue and nail it down.

5847041039_c3200a5757_z.jpg

027 by tvking63, on Flickr

5847053281_a82c1a4ee6_z.jpg

043 (2) by tvking63, on Flickr

:icon_hail: :icon_clap:

Damn, that is a hell of a job your doing!!!!!!!!

Congrats! Looks great.

Are you going to anchor the legs of the lift to the floor somehow?

Are you going to anchor the legs of the lift to the floor somehow?

I removed the wheels and used 6 wedge anchor bolts to hold it to the concrete floor. I cut off part of one leg so could make the platform wider. In this pic the leg has been shortened but the platform hasn't been widened. The other leg is buried in the wall as the bottom plate as well as being anchored to the floor.

I don't think it's going anywhere. :icon_biggrin: And the lift is rated for 1500lbs.

5851410814_b1f186a43f_z.jpg

anchor bolt by tvking63, on Flickr

61F4JxD0kGL._SL500_AA300_.gif

Nice work. Don't forget to service the lift. Lubricate chain etc... :icon_biggrin:

WD-40 or chain wax? Or maybe a Scottoiler? :icon_biggrin:

LOL, not a bad idea. :icon_biggrin:

I prefer stor and lube :icon_rolleyes:

We have a bunch of forklifts at work, and if they're not serviced every year

the wear and tear on them gets costly.

• 4 months later...

We just tore apart some elevators in one of my hotels and I know I saw some of those panels with the buttons with the floor numbers on it. And the up and down arrow lights too. If you want to make it a real conversation piece...reach out, I'll send it to you.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a new guy here so, when I saw this tread with so many pages I figured it would be a good one to read and yes it is, Doug you truly are an inspirational man with a lot of talent. That house of yours looks fantastic I wish I would have joined this site years ago so I could have been part of your project. I'll bet it would be nearly impossible to find the end of your all your talents. May God continue to Bless you with the great friends and family that you obviously have. Jim