CBR1100XX.org Forum

My house project

tvking

Mount a refrigerator unit to the bottom of that off-colored one and you'll have yourself your very own Cold Stone! :icon_evilgrin:

For making and mixing ice cream!!

Did someone say ice cream??

:icon_drool::icon_drool::icon_drool:

I had planned on using the acid stain anyway. It reacts with the lime in the concrete and because of the variations in density, it absorbs more in some places and less in others. Hopefully this will give is a variegated look. I was just hoping for a darker base color.

I want it to be multi colored as I think a solid color would be harder to keep clean and would show imperfections much more.

Paint or anything that forms a film will probably form a solid color and prevent the stain from reacting with the lime.

Just read some info that suggested that powdered dye can make it darker. I've been using a liquid dye. Oh well, gonna go with what I've got.

• 1 month later...

I know, I know, I'm a slacker. :icon_biggrin:

I have one piece done and installed. It turned out pretty well but is a little to brown, not as blacks I'd like.

I kinda had to bust it out in a hurry because it needed to be installed before the stone guy came to do the fireplace. Got it in the night before. :icon_pray:

5717564629_f350f8aa17_o.jpg

5717565547_ccd508ab7c_o.jpg

Since most of it is cover by the TV it's not a big deal that it's not quite the right color.

The fireplace turned out great. Better than I expected.

5718138538_b9d946aee7_o.jpg

5717575767_7b7bf1b8ea_o.jpg

5718158264_14824faedb_o.jpg

I'm working on refining the coloring process, trying to get it darker.

The concrete product I'm using is very new and I'm having a hard time getting more. Hopefully this week.

FYI, using a table saw while sitting down really sucks.

5718185156_de66c1e5e9_o.jpg

The house is looking GREAT. I bet that fireplace will kick out some pretty good heat with that insert. You think that will affect the flat screen? I've heard they are pretty heat sensitive.

It does make a lot of heat. Actually too much. More than an hour or so and the great room is 85. Luckily I found this out before the stone was up. I installed a "Heat Zone kit" that draws air around the firebox and blows it into the basement. Supposed to reduce heat into the room by 50%. Don't have all the stuff hooked up downstairs yet, so haven't tried it.

I've run the FP for several hrs and checked the TV with a infrared thermometer and the right edge got to a little over 90. I'd think that shouldn't be a problem.

Slacker my ass...

God Job and keep up the good work.

Plus I'll be watching this closely, as the wife and I have been talking about replacing our Firplace Hearth... and I'm thinking your concrete project here, so far, is looking great.

Later I'll be busting your ear on the who, what, and where's with the coloring.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Don't you need some durock or the like. Or is it ok to mortar right to plywood?

For interior applications it's fine. It's hard to see in the pic but there is wire lath nailed on to the plywood for the mortar to key into. Even when use outside, they just put up 30# felt over the ply. No need for cement board.

• 3 months later...
Don't you need some durock or the like. Or is it ok to mortar right to plywood?

For interior applications it's fine. It's hard to see in the pic but there is wire lath nailed on to the plywood for the mortar to key into. Even when use outside, they just put up 30# felt over the ply. No need for cement board.

Cool, any new pics of the progress?

• 2 months later...
I need to get in gear and update this mess.......

That would be nice!

By the time we see finished pictures, you'll be doing renovations!

I see the love.......

But that's because I know you 2..... You 2 crack me up.

TVK..... How's it going ? Just give us the verbal..... for now. Have you been making anything cool for the house ? Or just working on the Bike ?

Just waiting for you to get down here and help. :icon_wink:

I've got about half of the countertops done and installed. Sink and faucet are in. Still need to fab a panel underneath to hide the plumbing. Don't have any good pics. Maybe I just need a little push from you. Maybe tomorrow.........

Here's a close up of the countertop. Please disregard the Frosted Mini-Wheat with cheese. :icon_razz:

5718194776_fea3d26b75_o.jpg

More pics to come.....

Here's little vid of the guest bathroom. The toilet bowl is a little stained from Jeff's last visit. Tried muriatic acid, but no joy. :icon_evil:

Video

Had the peninsula table off of the island covered in stainless steel. Looks way cool but is a little higher maintenance than I'd like. Pics to come.........

Got the master closet finished too. Nice to have my clothes up here. Pics to come......

I'll really try to get a thorough update soon.

Here is the last pic I posted of the kitchen.

80810727.jpg

Update.

3131250057_efec5a369b_b.jpg

There will be a cantilevered top where the bar chairs are.

3130477617_62cde9f0cb_b.jpg

There's where I need a panel to hide the plumbing.

3131316316_7d8baa29f1_b.jpg

I like the microwave not taking up counter space. It's a bit low for most people but it works good for me (and Fuzz).

Not sure what I'm gonna do with the back splash yet. Looked as some SS panels, but after doing the island table in SS, I'm not sure I want the maintenance.

Here's the table. The SS is a bastard to keep looking nice. Every finger print shows and I get a lot of them because I grab the edge of the table to maneuver around when I'm carrying something with one hand, which seems to happen a lot in the kitchen. I purposely didn't put any cabinets under it so I can roll right up to it. Much nicer to work there than on a counter where the cabinets keep me from getting up close.

3130482997_d98630dc10_b.jpg

I had 2 drawer front wrapped in SS too. Turned out nice but I'm wishing I had done the middle drawer rather that the top one. I think it doesn't stand out as much being against the countertop.

The countertops turned out great but a tremendous amount of work. As you can see, I have a few more pieces to go.

3131310930_01f9126272_b.jpg

Here's the master closet. Around to the left is the washer and dryer. One of the best things I did was to put the washer/dryer in the master closet. The hamper is 3ft from the washer and I take stuff out of the dryer and hang it right there. Done!

3131253449_0dbba24f5c_b.jpg

Here's the master bedroom. I really liked the bed but was afraid that it would be low enough to be a pain so I add the SS legs. I was gonna cover the mounting hardware but I kinda like it exposed. The head board is made from kitchen cabinets. The center section is a wall cab with no doors laid on it's side. There will be a top (countertop?) of some sort , maybe black, on the center section. The cabinet on the far side on the floor will get mounted on the wall longways with 2 drawers in it and a matching one on the other side. Kinda like night stands but wont sit on the floor.

3131256893_222c6efd20_b.jpg

I'm thinking about painting the head board wall sky blue. Or better yet, I found a place that will make wallpaper out of your photos. You give them a digital pic and your wall dimensions and they do the rest. Maybe this pic? I took this about a mile from the house.

3132203186_085892eeb6_b.jpg

Or this one. Some silos at the feed mill. I like the industrial look of the silo's

3131373549_47ca9171e4_b.jpg

I'm sure there's more but that all I got for now.

Just remembered this.... :icon_cool:

3132257134_4b62431cd2_b.jpg