CBR1100XX.org Forum

only getting 29mpg????

kjclark7

i just got my new bird a month ago so i only have 1100 miles on it. it is a left over '02. anyway, i am only getting 29 mpg, is this normal or should i expect better. i thought guys were going like 200+ miles on a tank of gas, i am lucky if i hit 150. also, since my gauges are digital on the 02, i go the first 70 miles with it saying full then it starts dropping fast. just wondering if this is common. i have also been trying all different octanes to see if something would change but nothing significant so far. thanks

kevin

other than that, i love my new bird :lol:

Mine was like that until the third oil change (2400mi), which is when I went to full synthetic. I also put on a full system akra exhaust at the same time, so I can't really tell you which it was that caused the greatly increased mileage. But, 180mi is a short run before the light starts to blink, and will regularly see 190-200.

That's normal for the guage. Seems most have noticed that. It sucks in that regard. I think it is fairly accurate when it starts flashing red, you maybe have about 1 to 1.5 gal. left.

I think the bike's mpg varies a lot based on the type of riding. The mpg really drops when you start running through the gears more. The only time I really checked my mpg was my trip to the NEXXT last fall. At the time I had @ 1400 miles on the bike, and my first leg of the trip, I did @ 175 straight highway miles at mostly 80-90mph and got @ 35mpg.

Steve

I got 22 mpg at a Reg Pridemore track day; 42 mpg (twice) when I ran 6th gear highway miles at less than 4500 rpm; and I typically get 32 to 35 mpg commuting/weekend riding/roosting in the canyons. My bird is an '01 if that helps.

Bryan...wait 'till they make serpent headers for my baby...

My mileage has recently gone for a shit. I've got 17k on the bike now, and was getting mid to high 30's easily (approx 200miles per tank give or take 10 miles) and never close to running out.

This weekend, I had 175 miles on the tank, and ran out. :oops: Had to call my neighbor on the cell phone to rescue me.

I guess all the 2-up, hard riding, and wheelies are affecting more than my back tire. :twisted:

I wasn't complaining, or stating I thought I had a problem, but I'm pretty sure it can be blamed on my riding style lately.

Maybe I should back down a bit?

Nah! :wink:

Actually, I'm still on last year's plugs, with about 8k on them. I've got new ones, now I just need the time to change them........... :roll:

i just got my new bird a month ago so i only have 1100 miles on it. it is a left over '02. anyway, i am only getting 29 mpg, is this normal or should i expect better. i thought guys were going like 200+ miles on a tank of gas, i am lucky if i hit 150. also, since my gauges are digital on the 02, i go the first 70 miles with it saying full then it starts dropping fast. just wondering if this is common. i have also been trying all different octanes to see if something would change but nothing significant so far. thanks

kevin

other than that, i love my new bird :lol:

I average 28 mpg, with a low of 22 and a high of 30 on my 2000 XX. I also wore out my first set of tires in 2,000 miles. On the other hand, I've never met a car I didn't pass....

Derek

I agree, I think it has everything to do w/ riding style. I get better mileage w/ the full Akra system w/ PC3, but it is still around 26-33. I ride wfo as much as I can though, especially 0-60. It is so much fun :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Either you guys only ride for fun or you ride like much bigger assholes than I do while commuting...

The great majority of my riding miles are commuting! I'd blame the XX, except that my Valk and Virago got the same percentage reduction in mpg as the XX. I don't FEEL like my asshole's larger, but I did catch a buffalo grazing in my colon once. Wait, sorry, that was unnecessary, wasn't it? I meant to say I don't FEEL like I'm a bigger asshole, but I usually seem to be at the next intersection before the cages have crossed the first one. Lane-splitting's legal here in CA, so I'm basically never stuck behind a car, at least not for long. Hmm, maybe that is assholish behavior. Dunno....

Derek

yep. sounds about right. i commute on mine all the time (unless there is ice or below 20 degrees not counting wind chill) and my '02 was flashing at about 132-140 on a consistent basis, ran 'er outta gas 3 times :roll: (but i'm learning), mpg's been improving somewhat over the last 2k ...

i didn't buy it to optimize mpg doncha know :grin: