CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brakes

SBBXX

A couple of questions

How long do the pads normally last?

What do you normally pay for a set.

Looks like mine are gone again (replaced last year); and

if memory serves, paid $95.00 cdn for them. Seems a bit steep to me.

marty

OEM front pads seem to average 12k-15k miles. Aftermarkets may vary. The outside left front seems to go first. I don't know of anyone who's worn out a rear set, but I'm sure someone has done it. They'll chime in if so.

It seems like the going rate for pads is about $25-$35 USD per caliper depending on brand and composition.

OEM front pads seem to average 12k-15k miles.  Aftermarkets may vary.  The outside left front seems to go first.  I don't know of anyone who's worn out a rear set, but I'm sure someone has done it.

I just changed my rear pads. Stock pads, 24k miles. It seems the more burnouts you do, the faster they wear because of the stupid linked brakes. I've turned my rear rotor a funny shade of blue also. Does anybody have wave rotors on their bird? How do you like them?

Correct me if I am wrong, but doing a burnout will not actuate the rear brake at all unless you are pushing down hard on the front end of the bike. Isn't the rear brake actuated by the left front caliper moving up slightly against the master cyl there on the left fork?

Put the bike on the center stand, spin the rear tire then pull the front brake will it stop it? Nope.

mmmm that's right. But the rear wheel is trying to push the front forward, so the front weel is trying to turn, but being held by the claiper, which is rotating and activating the master cylinder.... not all that much I suspect, but enough to apply some pressure to the brake pads....

Gotta ask... after doing a burnout do you end yup with piles of crap on the back of the bike and under the seat? Never done one on a bike you see and I had always wondered. :oops:

mmmm that's right. But the rear wheel is trying to push the front forward, so the front weel is trying to turn, but being held by the claiper, which is rotating and activating the master cylinder.... not all that much I suspect, but enough to apply some pressure to the brake pads....

If the front wheel is indeed locked, and has not turned, the master will not be applying the rear brakes.

You need the front wheel to rotate to apply the rear brake pads. If it stays stationary relative to the brake on the left side, it will stay stationary relative to the brake on the right side too. And it does.

J.

If the front wheel is indeed locked, and has not turned, the master will not be applying the rear brakes.

You need the front wheel to rotate to apply the rear brake pads. If it stays stationary relative to the brake on the left side, it will stay stationary relative to the brake on the right side too. And it does.

J.

That is what I thought too. It might be the way I do my burnouts. I don't sit in one spot. I lock the front brake, get the tire spinning,let off the brake a little and then slowly start rolling forward. So the master would be applied. I do this to keep the tire from collecting all the shit rubber other people burn off in the bleach box. Stealth, the rubber collects in the inner fender mostly but it also gets on the swing arm and all over the shock. It's a real pain to clean out.

I don't know of anyone who's worn out a rear set,

Mine were shot at 5,000 miles. Fronts last almost three times that long.

Actually it's the rears that look like they're gone...again!!!! I've never had a bike that went through rear brakes like this.

Has anyone else had rear's wear out as quickly as blackhawkXX and SBBXX? Mine seem to dramatically outlast the fronts. Different braking techinques?

I use the fronts more than the rears. Maybe that's it.

feel free to flame on, but i go for entire rides without even touching the rear brake lever.

its not that i ride slowly (only where appropriate), and its not that i don't push the bike at all (again, only where appropriate), but i find that using the front/rear combo that LBS allows works just fine for me.

i suppose that i got into the habit on dirtbikes, exascerbated it on the magna (with the dubious drum rear) and just carried it over to the 'bird.

when i really need to haul down from speed, i hit it, and also when i practice my braking (emergency and otherwise), but rarely in actual practice.

just my riding style, i suppose.

brett

BlackhawkXX said:

Mine were shot at 5,000 miles. Fronts last almost three times that long.

If you are wearing out the rears at 5K, you are not using your brakes correctly. I'm not trying to tell you how to ride, but 70% of your braking should be done with the front brake. I almost never touch the rear brake unless I'm need to do a HARD stop or in a panic stop situation. Also, if I get into a corner too hot, I'll trail brake to scrub off some speed for the correct corner entrance speed. Normally I try to set my corner entrance speed so that I'm "slow" in and fast out. Certainly, I'm no expert at riding, but 5K on the rear is really out of line with what you should be getting. Hope this helps.

If you are not using the rear brakes, you are not using all of the front brakes as the rear pedal activates one piston on each of the front calipers.

If you are wearing out the rears at 5K, you are not using your brakes correctly

To be fair, I should have said that my bike had 5,000 miles on it when I got it and the rear pads were shot. Fronts are still good.